T Nation

Fabadab: Getting Stronger (?)

04/01

Giant set

• KB swings - 10, 8 @ 16, 8 x 5 @ 20
  • Deadlifts - 10 @ bar, 5 @ 40, 4 @ 60, 3 @ 80, 2 @ 90, 1 @ 100, 110, 120, 130, X @ 140
  • Hanging knee raises - 10 x 4
    (90s rest)

Assistance superset

• FFE split squats - 10 @ 12, 16 (ea leg)
    (30s between legs)

That’s the last of the testing sessions done. Disappointed with how this one played out - 140 was my previous max and I hoped to get back to it, or even surpass it.

Weights felt good on the way up, and the swings and knee raises didn’t feel particularly taxing on the deadlifts. Put on the belt from 90 onwards. I had originally thought of doing 5kg jumps after 130, but it moved so well that I thought going straight to 140 would be fine (and I might even have something more in the bag). Grip was an issue though, with the bar trying to pull out of my hands from the very beginning of the lift, so I put on straps for the 140.

Took two shots at 140 - had my belt pinch real bad at the start of the first so I bailed, readjusted, and had another go. Broke the weight off the floor, but I was getting pulled forwards right over it, and I knew it wasn’t going anywhere.

I honestly feel as though strength wasn’t the issue (bar grip issues) as the 130 felt so good. Think it’s more likely a psychological thing (going for new max) or probably technical, particularly as I had to spend more time bent over setting up to get the straps in place before starting the lift, so I expect I was out of position at the start.

Knees felt dodgy on the split squats, so I called them after only a couple of sets. Was using a 2" elevation for the front foot, and a 3s eccentric (all reps on one side, then short rest and switch to the other side).

1 Like

06/01

DE superset 1

• DE OHP (50%) - 10 x 3 @ 26.25
  • Cable face pulls - 10 x 5 @ 15
    (10m EMOM)

DE superset 2

• DE Bench (50%) - 10 x 3 @ 40
  • Cable high-to-low rows - 10 x 5 @ 20
    (20s rest)

Assistance

• Banded chinups - 3 x 10 @ red + black + blue bands
  • Incline pushups - 3 x 10
  • Side hip thrusts - 3 x 10 ea side
    (30s rest)

Program calls for EMOM on both the DE supersets, but I felt like I was rushing the setup on the OHPs to make sure I got it done in a minute (I had about 15-20s spare each round), but I feel at my level it would make more sense to focus on the technique more (and just being explosive on the concentric), so for the bench I switched to just having 20s rest between rounds instead. I still made sure I was moving between movements quickly, but I felt I could take a little more time getting the setup right etc., which I feel is more conducive. I’ll probably keep it like this going forwards, and do the same on my lower DE day.

1 Like

09/01

DE superset 1

• KB swings - 10 x 3 @ 20
  • DE squats (50%) - 10 x 3 @ 57.5
    (30s rest)

DE Superset 2

• DE Deadlifts (50%) - 10 x 3 @ 65
  • Hanging knee raises - 10 x 3
    (20-30s rest)

Assistance giant set

• Deadstop KB rows (R/L) - 3 x 10 @ 20 ea side
  • Ab wheel rollouts (kneeling) - 3 x 8
  • Bent-knee reverse hypers - 3 x 8
    (30s rest)

Weighed in @ 13st 6lbs in the morning.

Gave myself a little more rest for the lower body lifts as I find them much more taxing (particularly the squats). On the squats I felt like I got more explosive as the sets went on. I also realised on the third set that I was looking almost straight down, so I focused on keeping my head up more after that, which felt like it gave me a better position overall.

Deadlifts felt fine. Did the first half with only 20s rest, but because the setup and execution of deadlifts is fairly quick compared to the other lifts I felt like I was probably going at least EMOM, and maybe faster, so bumped the rest up to 30s for the second half.

1 Like

11/01

Main giant set

• Alt. KB snatches (R/L) - 2 x 2 @ 12, 2 x 2 @ 16, 4 x 2 @ 20 ea arm
  • ME Z press - 8 @ bar, 5 @ 25, 3 @ 30, 35, 40, 42.5, 45, 47.5
  • Rope face pulls - 8 @ 10, 2 x 8 @ 12.5, 5 x 8 @ 15
    (90s rest)

Back-off giant set

• Alt. KB snatches (R/L) - 3 x 2 @ 20 ea arm
  • Z press (80%) - 7, 5, 5 @ 37.5
  • Rope face pulls - 3 x 12 @ 12.5
    (90s rest)

Assistance giant set

• Single-arm DB press (R/L) - 12, 12, 10 @ 18 ea arm
  • Single-arm DB row (R/L) - 3 x 12 @ 18 ea arm
  • KB halos - 3 x 5 @ 20 ea way
    (60s rest)

Very happy with the Z press - I had 45 as a target but found I could push a bit further. The first rep at 47.5 was so slow starting though I doubted if I’d even be able to get 2, so a great result in the end.

Took 3 mins rest before starting the back off sets so I had time to recover a bit and work out the weights etc. Wanted to get 8 on the first set (AMRAP) but 7 was all I had. The follow-up sets of 5 were tough to get afterwards too.

On the first set of left-side DB presses I found my left lat almost seizing up for some reason - not sure if that was just tightness, weakness, or some sort of setup thing but it was weird as hell. No issues at all when doing the right side. I gave it a good stretch after the first round and that seemed to help a bit, but still felt off. Doesn’t feel any different the day after though…

1 Like

13/01

Main giant set

• KB swings - 2 x 5 @ 16, 7 x 5 @ 20
  • ME zercher squat - 8 @ bar, 5 @ 30, 4 @ 40, 3 @ 50, 60, 70, 75, 80, 85
  • Lying leg raise + press - 1 x 3, 8 x 4
    (90s rest)

Back-off giant set

• KB swings - 3 x 5 @ 20
  • Zercher squat (80%) - 8, 5, 5 @ 67.5
  • Lying leg raise + press - 3 x 5
    (90s rest)

Assistance superset

• Snatch-grip RDL - 12 @ 40, 45, 45
  • Plank - 3 x 45s
    (60s rest)

Very happy with hitting 85 on the zercher squats - coming into this I thought it would be nice to get up to bodyweight, but didn’t think I’d actually make it. Almost called it at 80, but given it was only one more small jump I just went for it. Checked back in last year’s log for when I last did these some months back, and looks like the best I managed was 70 x 5, so this feels like a better result.

Belt went on from 60+ (including back-off sets). Hardest thing was just getting breath and keeping it as best I could throughout the reps. On the heaviest sets the weight was really trying to pull me forwards, so it was threatening to turn into a good morning, but I felt like I fought it well.

Back-off sets were tough too, but hit my target of 8 on the first (AMRAP) set. Took 3 mins rest again before the main and back-off giant sets.

The assistance stuff wasn’t particularly interesting but I was already dead before getting to it, so just wanted to hit some basic stuff and then finish. Went for the snatch-grip on the RDL to sneak in a bit of extra upper back and grip work.

1 Like