[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
^^^

No need to push. I’d be glad to give you a tow behind my Duramax. [/quote]

Oh really?

[quote]2busy wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]2busy wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I have an '06 FX4 with the same engine and at 100K I ended up paying THOUSANDS on engine issues. Ended up replacing all of the spark plugs (yes they broke EVERY FUCKING ONE getting them out - a notorious problem for that engine), coils, new Jasper transmission repacked the front and the rear, as well as new belts and alternator.

NOW it runs perfectly! LOL I’m going to give it to my kid when he turns 18 and get’s into the Apprenticeship and hope it lasts him five years.

I’ve owned a Dodge Ram 1500, GMC Sierra, Chevy S10 quarter ton, and I like some things about this Ford (despite the seats being uncomfortable as shit compared to the Dodge) but after this experience my next truck will probably be a Silverado Z71 or a Dodge Ram 2500. Shoulda listened to what they say about Fords:

Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road Dead
Fucked Over Rebuilt Dodge
Fat Old Redneck Driving

Any more? LOL[/quote]

Fucking Omaha Road Disaster
Found Only Rolling Downhill

Ford owners like to think it’s First On Race Day.

Backwards it’s Driver Returns On Foot.[/quote]
[/quote]

My 2000 Suburban has 340,000 miles on it.

If I need an engine, I can get one for $350 with 100,000 miles on it. The junkyards are full of wrecked Silverados, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades with good engines. Try finding a used Triton V8. Over $2000 for one if you can find one. Seems everyone needs one to fix their Ford truck.

I’m sure I’ll make 500,000 miles on my Chevy.
[/quote]

That pretty impressive actually…lol

ha!

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
A/C, half ton, get a Tundra, hands down. 2500, I just think the Duramax/Allison combo is tough to beat. [/quote]

I have a '14 Tundra with the big 5.7 V8. Love that truck so far and I love that nearly every Tundra I see driving around N. New England looks fantastic. Winters here put a lot of wear-and-tear on the body and the Tundras just seem to hold up really well, even going back to the early 2000 models.

Mine only has 9k on it, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about that 5.7, which has been in those trucks since 2008 I think. I’m very happy with that purchase, which was my first-ever new vehicle.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
A/C, half ton, get a Tundra, hands down. 2500, I just think the Duramax/Allison combo is tough to beat. [/quote]

I have a '14 Tundra with the big 5.7 V8. Love that truck so far and I love that nearly every Tundra I see driving around N. New England looks fantastic. Winters here put a lot of wear-and-tear on the body and the Tundras just seem to hold up really well, even going back to the early 2000 models.

Mine only has 9k on it, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about that 5.7, which has been in those trucks since 2008 I think. I’m very happy with that purchase, which was my first-ever new vehicle.

[/quote]

The biggest problem with them is they don’t wear out. Now you are stuck with the same truck for the foreseeable future.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[/quote]

The biggest problem with them is they don’t wear out. Now you are stuck with the same truck for the foreseeable future.
[/quote]

The biggest problem (for me) is that it’s a Toyota…

This thread perfectly illustrates what a racket the auto industry is today.

You’re telling me ford, gm, and chrysler cant make a simple full sized truck that will last?

Or maybe build an engine that doesnt require $1k plus worth of repairs before 100k?

How about some rust protection?

Oh yeah, if they built quality products that lasted more than 2 years there wouldnt be a need to replace it with another piece of crap?

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The biggest problem (for me) is that it’s a Toyota…[/quote]
So you hate trucks built in Texas?

great — the love is pouring in.

have a great guy working on it now. meatheads at gym have friends who have smart friends who fix stuff.

all the f150 forum had my head spun around but i at least now have seen timing cover removal, issues w/ tensioners, cam lockout kits --bla, bla, bla…

i was told let the tick, tick, tick stay…let it tick from 122k to 250k just do the maintenance.

CEL - was #8 the coil and plug being checked, along w/ others - likely why it was near stall and hesitating. the good thing about these trucks is that CEL will light the fuck up to tell you what part is specifically fucked!

i’ve heard lashes (formerly known as lifters, are only good for 100k) but at this point - i will not dig too deep…

i’d rad about the cam phaser tick to further decide whether opening the fucker up is worth while, am i rolling the dice not attending to it – some folks say the tick is just a ford tick and i can still get to 250k +

We’ll see if the the #8 coil is easy – it’s in the back, this guy has done many shitty 150 long spark plugs - they break easy…

I feel like my man card should get pulled, i’m learning and reading but haven’t really worked on cars much…now collecting stamps, i’m good…

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
I feel like my man card should get pulled, i’m learning and reading but haven’t really worked on cars much…now collecting stamps, i’m good… [/quote]

given the effeminate nature of most “men” these days, the fact that you’re able to digest all that is impressive.

It’s not like you’re driving a prius or some stupid small shit box (although they are reliable)

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you hate trucks built in Texas?[/quote]

I don’t “hate” any truck… But I support products and services offered by AMERICAN companies. Not very many things are manufactured here anymore. So when I actually have a DECENT CHOICE about what product to buy and one of those choices is an AMERICAN product, I’m going to go with the AMERICAN product every time.

I think it was a very smart move by Toyota to manufacture vehicles here. It’s great PR and some politician probably sucked Mr. Watanabe’s cock to get him to build that factory in Texas. But the profits of that vehicle still go to JAPAN. Toyota is a JAPANESE company, so we are supporting JAPAN and their economy when we buy JAPANESE products. You DO realize that, right?

If more people buy products and services from AMERICAN companies - even if it costs a little bit more, then it makes a statement. Companies listen when consumers make statements. If enough consumers make statements about wanting to buy AMERICAN products and services, even if they cost a little more, then it will ultimately lead to more jobs, more services, stronger competition and an overall positive effect on OUR economy. This is basic economics.

Now, to take your ignorant statement to me and turn it around, “Do you hate America and want our economy to collapse?”

That doesn’t sound very nice, does it? That’s filled with assumption and probably doesn’t represent how you really feel. It’s arrogant and offensive, isn’t it? If I said that to your face, it would likely lead to a very tense moment…

You don’t have to tell me what I hate. I don’t hate very many things, and I certainly don’t need someone putting words in my mouth.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
great — the love is pouring in.

have a great guy working on it now. meatheads at gym have friends who have smart friends who fix stuff.

all the f150 forum had my head spun around but i at least now have seen timing cover removal, issues w/ tensioners, cam lockout kits --bla, bla, bla…

i was told let the tick, tick, tick stay…let it tick from 122k to 250k just do the maintenance.

CEL - was #8 the coil and plug being checked, along w/ others - likely why it was near stall and hesitating. the good thing about these trucks is that CEL will light the fuck up to tell you what part is specifically fucked!

i’ve heard lashes (formerly known as lifters, are only good for 100k) but at this point - i will not dig too deep…

i’d rad about the cam phaser tick to further decide whether opening the fucker up is worth while, am i rolling the dice not attending to it – some folks say the tick is just a ford tick and i can still get to 250k +

We’ll see if the the #8 coil is easy – it’s in the back, this guy has done many shitty 150 long spark plugs - they break easy…

I feel like my man card should get pulled, i’m learning and reading but haven’t really worked on cars much…now collecting stamps, i’m good… [/quote]

Dude, do not beat yourself up about getting a professional to pull those plugs. They are notorious for breaking off and getting stuck in the head (or worse, pieces falling into the cylinder). That would require a top end rebuild if you fuck the threads up. And that #8 coil in the back is the worst one. I’ve changed the plugs on all of my vehicles since I could turn a wrench, but with my FX4, I took it to the mechanic for the plugs. It’s not worth the risk, you did the right thing.

I hereby declare your man card to be intact!

The thing that kind of surprises me about Toyota is that they haven’t bothered to tap the medium duty truck market yet. They own a piece of Isuzu (although I don’t think as big a piece as GM), so I’m sure they could build an oil burner of similar quality to the duramax.

I don’t know if the Tundra being built in North America is a PR move, or if it’s more about practicality. Most of the buyers are probably here, so why build in Japan and pay for the boat when you can just build them here? I know they’ve been making Corollas about an hour from me for almost 30 years now. Not that I’d ever buy one of those. lol. I like my GMs, and Fords. Every Honda / Toyota / etc… I’ve ever been around has been really cramped to sit in, crappy to work on, and just not that impressive to operate. Never been in a Tundra though, so can’t speak on those.

Just of curiosity (I don’t know shit about it) I know the headquarters is in Japan, and all of the high level management is japanese, isn’t Toyota more of a publicly traded international corporation? Like all of the major automakers? Just how much difference does the head office location make? I’m all for domestic interests (imo my country needs a big fucking wall on all 4 sides to keep the natural resources in), but there’s so much international manufacturing, and stock trading, and all that other bullshit how do you even keep track of where the end profits actually go?

I would never buy a tundra or titan. I’ve driven both for work. They are unimpressive vehicles. The titan is terrible off road

Now in the small truck arena Toyota and Nissan made some great trucks up until about 2000.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Or maybe build an engine that doesnt require $1k plus worth of repairs before 100k?
[/quote]

I had to change the spark plugs in my Suburban at 100k. :frowning:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don’t “hate” any truck… But I support products and services offered by AMERICAN companies. Not very many things are manufactured here anymore. So when I actually have a DECENT CHOICE about what product to buy and one of those choices is an AMERICAN product, I’m going to go with the AMERICAN product every time.

I think it was a very smart move by Toyota to manufacture vehicles here. It’s great PR and some politician probably sucked Mr. Watanabe’s cock to get him to build that factory in Texas. But the profits of that vehicle still go to JAPAN. Toyota is a JAPANESE company, so we are supporting JAPAN and their economy when we buy JAPANESE products. You DO realize that, right?

If more people buy products and services from AMERICAN companies - even if it costs a little bit more, then it makes a statement. Companies listen when consumers make statements. If enough consumers make statements about wanting to buy AMERICAN products and services, even if they cost a little more, then it will ultimately lead to more jobs, more services, stronger competition and an overall positive effect on OUR economy. This is basic economics.

Now, to take your ignorant statement to me and turn it around, “Do you hate America and want our economy to collapse?”

That doesn’t sound very nice, does it? That’s filled with assumption and probably doesn’t represent how you really feel. It’s arrogant and offensive, isn’t it? If I said that to your face, it would likely lead to a very tense moment…

You don’t have to tell me what I hate. I don’t hate very many things, and I certainly don’t need someone putting words in my mouth.[/quote]

You’re the one that said “The biggest problem (for me) is that it’s a Toyota…” not that it was unreliable, engines blew up, rusted up fast. just that it was a Toyota. I’d buy American if it was as reliable. I’ve had fords, chevys, and dodges but none were as reliable as my Toyotas. So you don’t have a tv, computer, microwave, pants, shirt, shoes, or phone that’s made in another country? If you buy a watch, gold, or a diamond it’s probably not local. Ford builds engines in Mexico, Canada, and England. Transmissions in Germany and England. Parts in Australia. All over the world and so does GM and Chrysler.
“Do you hate America and want our economy to collapse?” I love this country even though I grew up around bigots and racists that told me I needed to go back to gookland where I born. Never knew that was another name for Long Beach California. I also proudly served in the military so that statement can be blown out your ass. I work at a port and see cargo going in and out constantly and know that our economy is tied to the world economy. Look at what percentage of parts in American “made” cars come from other countries. Where do you think the majority of the oil for your gas that you put in your truck comes from? Because I want the best I’m against the US is such a load of bullshit. It’s great to say buy only American but lets see you do it!

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don’t have to tell me what I hate. I don’t hate very many things, and I certainly don’t need someone putting words in my mouth.[/quote]

You’re the one that said “The biggest problem (for me) is that it’s a Toyota…” not that it was unreliable, engines blew up, rusted up fast. just that it was a Toyota. I’d buy American if it was as reliable. I’ve had fords, chevys, and dodges but none were as reliable as my Toyotas. So you don’t have a tv, computer, microwave, pants, shirt, shoes, or phone that’s made in another country? If you buy a watch, gold, or a diamond it’s probably not local. Ford builds engines in Mexico, Canada, and England. Transmissions in Germany and England. Parts in Australia. All over the world and so does GM and Chrysler.
“Do you hate America and want our economy to collapse?” I love this country even though I grew up around bigots and racists that told me I needed to go back to gookland where I born. Never knew that was another name for Long Beach California. I also proudly served in the military so that statement can be blown out your ass. I work at a port and see cargo going in and out constantly and know that our economy is tied to the world economy. Look at what percentage of parts in American “made” cars come from other countries. Where do you think the majority of the oil for your gas that you put in your truck comes from? Because I want the best I’m against the US is such a load of bullshit. It’s great to say buy only American but lets see you do it![/quote]

x2

“Buy American” is not as straight-forward as the emblem on the hood. One of the things that appealed to me with the Tundra is that, aside from being assembled in the US, ~75% of its parts were sourced from the US or Canada. That’s better than all other trucks but the F-150, which it is roughly tied with.

I bought American for the first 10 years of my adult life and I regretted buying every single one of those vehicles (Cadillac Seville, Pontiac Grand Am, Buick LeSabre, Ford Ranger). I really wish it wasn’t that way, but that was my experience. Thousands and thousands were pissed away getting work done on those clunkers, none of which I kept past 130k miles.

I’m looking forward to a good decade of (what I hope to be) hassle-free truck ownership with my Tundra. My Subaru (assembled in my home state of Indiana) has required $230 worth of unplanned work on its way to 100k and it is running like a champ.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

“Do you hate America and want our economy to collapse?” I love this country even though I grew up around bigots and racists that told me I needed to go back to gookland where I born. Never knew that was another name for Long Beach California. I also proudly served in the military so that statement can be blown out your ass. I work at a port and see cargo going in and out constantly and know that our economy is tied to the world economy. Look at what percentage of parts in American “made” cars come from other countries. Where do you think the majority of the oil for your gas that you put in your truck comes from? Because I want the best I’m against the US is such a load of bullshit. It’s great to say buy only American but lets see you do it![/quote]

Damn, dude, slow your roll. I made a comment in a thread where Ford guys were trashing Chevy guys who were trashing Dodge guys. Then you came in with, “so you HATE trucks built in Texas”…

1. THANK YOU for your service to our country.
  2. Leave your feelings in the truck next time
  3. I wrote, the biggest problem (FOR ME) is that it’s a Toyota… Why do you give a fuck? I didn’t write, “Toyota’s SUCK”, or “Whoever owns a Tundra is a commie” or anything like that, did I? You jumped in putting words in my mouth.

Here is the bottom line that maybe you can understand: I’m a well respected Union member in the IBEW. I’m also a conservative, which puts me at odds, politically, with some of the upper Union management. Many of my Union Brothers know me or know who I am. I’m that guy who went down to the gulf and worked on the oil rigs. Or I’m that guy that ran ABC job, or XYZ job, or any one of several large jobs that employed a large percentage of our membership and received craftsmanship awards.

Now, Union electricians can act just like ANY partisan group, one person says some snide remark, then other people repeat it and before you know it, you have a bunch of people talking shit. Like I said before, I’m a known conservative and when I talk, people tend to listen to me. Sometimes I get someone arguing some liberal union entitlement bullshit, but I always shoot them down with facts. It’s a culture where EVERYONE wears Red Wing boots and uses Klein tools because they are American made. If I drove a non-American truck and it became known, it would be used against me. Some whining asshole bottom-feeder who rides the bench six month out of the year would start talking shit because he’s jealous and then I’d have deal with a bunch of unnecessary bullshit that I can simply avoid by driving an American made truck.

Are they a stupid giggling group of school girls? Yup. Do I need to motivate those school girls to work hard for me and complete a job on time without fucking me when I’m not looking over their shoulder every minute of the day? Yup.

I don’t “hate” any brand of truck. But I’ve got twenty years vested with Local 26 (as in, if I walked away now, I’d lose thousands of dollars in my retirement) and I’ve been fortunate enough to climb to the top of that food chain despite my personal politics. I’m in a good spot. Some would say I’ve climbed the stairway to electrical heaven. So I wear my American made boots and drive my American made truck and turn my American made wrenches. Even if it costs me a little bit more.

Which is why I said FOR ME.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Damn, dude, slow your roll. I made a comment in a thread where Ford guys were trashing Chevy guys who were trashing Dodge guys. Then you came in with, “so you HATE trucks built in Texas”…

1. THANK YOU for your service to our country.
  2. Leave your feelings in the truck next time
  3. I wrote, the biggest problem (FOR ME) is that it’s a Toyota… Why do you give a fuck? I didn’t write, “Toyota’s SUCK”, or “Whoever owns a Tundra is a commie” or anything like that, did I? You jumped in putting words in my mouth.

Here is the bottom line that maybe you can understand: I’m a well respected Union member in the IBEW. I’m also a conservative, which puts me at odds, politically, with some of the upper Union management. Many of my Union Brothers know me or know who I am. I’m that guy who went down to the gulf and worked on the oil rigs. Or I’m that guy that ran ABC job, or XYZ job, or any one of several large jobs that employed a large percentage of our membership and received craftsmanship awards.

Now, Union electricians can act just like ANY partisan group, one person says some snide remark, then other people repeat it and before you know it, you have a bunch of people talking shit. Like I said before, I’m a known conservative and when I talk, people tend to listen to me. Sometimes I get someone arguing some liberal union entitlement bullshit, but I always shoot them down with facts. It’s a culture where EVERYONE wears Red Wing boots and uses Klein tools because they are American made. If I drove a non-American truck and it became known, it would be used against me. Some whining asshole bottom-feeder who rides the bench six month out of the year would start talking shit because he’s jealous and then I’d have deal with a bunch of unnecessary bullshit that I can simply avoid by driving an American made truck.

Are they a stupid giggling group of school girls? Yup. Do I need to motivate those school girls to work hard for me and complete a job on time without fucking me when I’m not looking over their shoulder every minute of the day? Yup.

I don’t “hate” any brand of truck. But I’ve got twenty years vested with Local 26 (as in, if I walked away now, I’d lose thousands of dollars in my retirement) and I’ve been fortunate enough to climb to the top of that food chain despite my personal politics. I’m in a good spot. Some would say I’ve climbed the stairway to electrical heaven. So I wear my American made boots and drive my American made truck and turn my American made wrenches. Even if it costs me a little bit more.

Which is why I said FOR ME.[/quote]

Great explanation.

My father was a retired union construction worker with a lot of the same sentiments you describe. I don’t think he could have driven a Toyota or a Nissan on to a job site without getting a massive amount of shit, even though he was also on the top of his union food chain.

He drove a GMC Sierra but took a real liking to my mother’s Lexus…

After he retired, of course.

I’m looking forward to a good decade of (what I hope to be) hassle-free truck ownership with my Tundra. My Subaru (assembled in my home state of Indiana) has required $230 worth of unplanned work on its way to 100k and it is running like a champ.
[/quote]

The wife’s '05 Sequoia just rolled 100k about 2 weeks ago. It has never once failed to start or left my wife stranded. In that time: it has had one broken rear latch that cost me $12 to replace with an aftermarket rear latch; it had an aftermarket component that was wired improperly that I had to fix, and I fixed it myself with shit I had laying around from another stereo install I did on my truck; and the “air induction” system went on the fritz, and I bypassed it for around $120 (its a fan that make the ppm standards for 1 minute on cold start up for EPA purposes, i.e., it is totally useless, but expensive to replace). That’s it in 10 years. I just did the timing chain and plan on another 100k miles of mostly trouble free miles.

For future reference, the air induction issue is the one recurring problem for the Tundra/Sequoia platform that I am aware of and here is a link to the workaround.