F' It, Let's Do This

Went to my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class today. It was fuckin’ awesome! Can’t wait to go again on Saturday. Should get my creatine tomorrow. WIll be ordering some Surge Recovery Monday.

[quote]Tarrius wrote:
Workout tonight was fun and very frustrating.

Ran a half mile today at 7 mph, then did some foam rolling and stretching on my legs.

Squat - 3x5x115 I decided to keep the weight the same on this seeing as I took a couple days off and I didn’t exactly have the best success last time. Failed on the last rep of the last two sets. This time I completed all of my reps with a lot more ease.

Press - 3x5x65 (+10 pounds) Piece o’ cake.

Power Clean - This exercise is a bitch. I’m not going to put any specific weight/rep scheme because after spending some time reading into the Power Clean and watching videos, I realized I had the form all wrong last workout. So I spent a majority of the evening practicing hang cleans. I did 3 sets, the first two with 10 lb plates (I really need to improve my grip strength). The last set I did between 10 and 20 reps, didn’t really keep track, with an empty bar, trying to get the movement down. I’ve watched the videos, so I don’t think another video will help, I need someone to actually be there and help me with it. Too bad the PT i talked to at the gym didn’t know how to do power cleans…

So, on to why this workout was so frustrating. I realized on the Squat and power clean that I have some serious issues with form that need to be corrected. With the Power clean, it’s just because I’ve never done it before and I need someone to teach me what the fuck to do. With the squat though, I’m very frustrated. When I come up out of the actual squat, I have to bring my right knee in to push up out of the squat, using my right leg almost entirely for the movement. I noticed for the first time today that I don’t hardly use my left leg during the squat at all - the majority of the pushing comes out of my right leg. I know this is a serious form issue that needs to be corrected immediately, any help? I was thinking about getting a band and doing some side to side walking with the band around my quads as suggested in one of the articles on the site for squatting.

Should I continue with the squat and clean even with less than perfect form as I’m not repping very high weights, or should I stop until the form issues have been corrected?

PS- Got my first Biotest supplement this week, some Grow! Whey Protein and ordered some Creatine today. I am stoked. Next on the list is Surge Recovery then Surge Workout Fuel. Then Flameout![/quote]

If you have a digital camera, tape your lifts. There are a lot of people here that can give you invaluable feedback on your specific form issues.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll definitely do that. Now, to find a video camera…

Also, was going to go to the gym after work at 9… my gym closes at 9. I need to find a new gym bad…