F/C Combo Oddities

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
ajweins wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
ajweins wrote:
Don’t the troponin guys support the whole separating fats and carbs idea due to the idea that when you are eating a lot of carbs and insulin is high you want to keep fats low to avoid them being stored?

It makes sense to me but I know guys like JC say it doesn’t matter at all.

See the thing I don’t understand is just because 9 calories is defined as a gram of “fat”, why is that the macro that the body chooses to store as body fat. It just makes no sense to me.

I mean essentially calories are calories, I don’t see how just because you eat carbs and fat together the fat is shuttled to your love handles for storage whereas the other non fat cals are used in other ways.

Hope my post makes some sense.

I think the general thought that the troponin guys have is that if you eat a lot of carbohydrates, your body will secrete a lot of insulin, which as well all know is a storage hormone. So if you have high levels of a storage hormone and then throw on a bunch of fat, insulin will be naturally inclined to store it in your fat cells. Whereas if you ate protein with high carbohydrates, your body would first have to convert the excess calories from protein into glucose and then convert the glucose into triglycerides, and then be stored as fat. So it appears that it is more difficult for protein to get stored as fat when insulin is high than fats just because fats do not need to be converted into anything to get stored. Anyone can feel free to correct me, but this is how I see it and I think is the general rationale of the troponin guys for having fat as low as possible on very high carb days.

hmmm that’s really interesting if that’s correct.

So fats do not have to be converted into anything to actually be stored as fat?

Without the presence of an insulin spike, say if you eat a P+F meal, where does the fat then go?[/quote]

it gets broken down in the small intestine and absorbed into the blood, where it is then taken to cells and used to fuel day to day activities. Anything excess is shuttles into adipocytes for long term storage.

Good info here but too bad they are on opposing sides.

And now I want a donut damn you stu you crazy bastard!!

[quote]kickureface wrote:
Good info here but too bad they are on opposing sides.

And now I want a donut damn you stu you crazy bastard!![/quote]

Lol, just tell people you’re bulkin’ up :slight_smile: Besides, if you drink a shake with it, I’m sure you can convince yourself of some food-combining-combo-prevent-excessive fat storage sort of thing.

S

[quote]spadesofaces wrote:

Without the presence of an insulin spike, say if you eat a P+F meal, where does the fat then go?

it gets broken down in the small intestine and absorbed into the blood, where it is then taken to cells and used to fuel day to day activities. Anything excess is shuttles into adipocytes for long term storage.
[/quote]

Which is exactly what I’ve been trying to tell people (and I’m not trying to take credit) - fat WILL be stored AS FAT if it’s not used up, insulin or not.

If blood lipid levels are spiked from the consumption of fat in the absence of insulin, and if these lipids are available immediately to be burned up, that lends further credibility to the claim that the consumption of fat (and fat only) prior to a workout will ensure the body will prefer to use fat (in this case, the fat will at least initially come from the lipids in the blood stream that got there from consuming fat prior to workout) instead of another energy store.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
ajweins wrote:
Don’t the troponin guys support the whole separating fats and carbs idea due to the idea that when you are eating a lot of carbs and insulin is high you want to keep fats low to avoid them being stored?

It makes sense to me but I know guys like JC say it doesn’t matter at all.

See the thing I don’t understand is just because 9 calories is defined as a gram of “fat”, why is that the macro that the body chooses to store as body fat. It just makes no sense to me.

Really? You can’t see the evolutionary advantage in storing the macro with the highest energy density?

I mean essentially calories are calories, I don’t see how just because you eat carbs and fat together the fat is shuttled to your love handles for storage whereas the other non fat cals are used in other ways.

Hope my post makes some sense.

BBB[/quote]

No, I can. I just think it’s funny how the fat in food is actually stored in our body as exactly that, fat. It’s just a weird concept

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I think Doughnuts are my personal favorite P+C combo. I can’t wait to sit down and just house a dozen Krispy Kremes in a few weeks -lol

S
[/quote]

Yesterday I decided I’ve been low carb for too long and went all out with loads of tater tots, white bread, several donuts and brownies, things I haven’t touched in months, and while it was really delicious at the time I felt physically terrible for the rest of the day. Really really terrible! My mind was in a fog and I was also falling asleep all afternoon and I wasn’t able to eat again for the rest of the day. lol. Be careful!

I think the main thing to take away from this discussion is that too much of any macronutrient is a bad thing.

Now that I think about it though, I don’t really like most F/C foods… Except for chocolate covered nuts that is. Trail mix too. I’ve been known to mow through a pound of it like it’s nothing.

[quote]elusive wrote:
kickureface wrote:
elusive wrote:
kickureface wrote:
woops guess i should have rephrased.

but nonetheless, many make protein shakes for during the day. you can do whey+fast sugar or you can do a mix of stuff such as whey, a carb source such as oats or sugars or fruits or whatnot, and some many add in oil to slow it down. so what is actually going on, fat being shuttled in faster or fat slowing down overall digestion?

I’m not really understanding your question. Fat will slow down overall digestion. Decreasing the absorbtion time of the nutrients, inturn creating a lesser need for insulin. Also, I don’t know anyone that adds whey + sugar + fats.

ok let’s start with that. fat slows down absorption.
but several renowned also say that fat + carbs just creates an environment with the fats being shuttled in faster. hence, the confusion.

I think Berardi has started this whole dogma about pairing C + F. Even he himself is trying to “move away” from it. I think it was more of a way to enforce better food choices and allow for easier meal selections than anything else.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, the entire reasoning behind that rule was to get people to avoid pre-packaged food, which tends to have a lot of high-GI carbs and saturated fat, not to mention other nasty stuff.

LMAO, I’m sure after my post contest binge (Mom’s baking cookies!), I’ll sleep most of the next day away in an insulin-induced coma :smiley:

Sometimes you’ve just gotta ‘do it’-lol-

S

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

Without the presence of an insulin spike, say if you eat a P+F meal, where does the fat then go?[/quote]

There is still an insulin spike, less than sugars obviously.