EyeDentist, How Do You Train?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
so are you back to avoiding protein in the morning?[/quote]

Yes–I’m back to ‘intermittent fatting’ (Copyright EyeDentist 2015. All rights reserved.)

ED I’ve always followed (13 years) a traditional BB diet for bulking and cutting until I came across your thread (which is amazing). So I started cutting two months ago and following what you do to a T (and I’ve been cutting every summer for the past 8 years). You are wrong about your method being maybe a few % (it is more!) I’ve never gotten results this fast and maintained as much muscle AND felt this good while dieting/cutting! (Tried to attach my pic from the station gym) Do you have a formula of fats, carbs, and protein for you’re BW that you try to follow when cutting and bulking? Of so what is it?

Woww !! I`ve read the whole thread twice, today, in a row!! Very very informative and fun to read

Been a brazilian TNation fan (my bible) for almost 3 years , I learned here at TN how to do a FullBody routine ( and focus on compound movements) ,learned to train less and smarter at the same time , specially through Thibs articles . And I wish I had known about TN many years ago.

I work out 3 to 4 times a week(since 2001), mainly for health and aesthetic reasons ,Im also a tennis and padel player twice a week , plus some cardio and or riding a bike with friends on weekends .

Admired Physiques like RyanReynolds, Pitt in fight Club , and since today you too EyeDentist , I learned a lot reading your tips and definately will try harder to get some abs showing (been chasing them for years ) but… unfortunately your answer to the question if you drink alcohol got me sad … I really enjoy a beer at home, lets say, 3 to 4 times a week … but, reading this post got me motivated that is possible to achieve this being natty . I kinda thought it was a little impossible to me.

Anyway, congratulations to you , and all fellow readers here at this wonderful topic…

and I hope my english is understandable …

[quote]FitFireFighter wrote:
ED I’ve always followed (13 years) a traditional BB diet for bulking and cutting until I came across your thread (which is amazing). So I started cutting two months ago and following what you do to a T (and I’ve been cutting every summer for the past 8 years). You are wrong about your method being maybe a few % (it is more!) I’ve never gotten results this fast and maintained as much muscle AND felt this good while dieting/cutting! (Tried to attach my pic from the station gym) Do you have a formula of fats, carbs, and protein for you’re BW that you try to follow when cutting and bulking? Of so what is it? [/quote]

Congrats on the cut (you look great), and I’m delighted to hear that some of this worked for you. I (and others I’m sure) would love to hear specifics about your diet and training if you feel like sharing.

I don’t have a particular formula for determining macros–more like a set of guiding principles:
–Keep protein around 1g/lb BW every day, or a little (20-50 g) higher
–On a High Carb day, keep fats low
–On a Low Carb day, let fat go up as needed to hit the calorie target

On my current ‘bulk,’ I’m shooting for 2800-3300 cal/d on lifting days, 1800-2000 on nonlifting days.

Edited to correct my current protein-consumption habits

[quote]2015RogFromSouth wrote:
Woww !! I`ve read the whole thread twice, today, in a row!! Very very informative and fun to read

Been a brazilian TNation fan (my bible) for almost 3 years , I learned here at TN how to do a FullBody routine ( and focus on compound movements) ,learned to train less and smarter at the same time , specially through Thibs articles . And I wish I had known about TN many years ago.

I work out 3 to 4 times a week(since 2001), mainly for health and aesthetic reasons ,Im also a tennis and padel player twice a week , plus some cardio and or riding a bike with friends on weekends .

Admired Physiques like RyanReynolds, Pitt in fight Club , and since today you too EyeDentist , I learned a lot reading your tips and definately will try harder to get some abs showing (been chasing them for years ) but… unfortunately your answer to the question if you drink alcohol got me sad … I really enjoy a beer at home, lets say, 3 to 4 times a week … but, reading this post got me motivated that is possible to achieve this being natty . I kinda thought it was a little impossible to me.

Anyway, congratulations to you , and all fellow readers here at this wonderful topic…

and I hope my english is understandable …
[/quote]

Hi Rog, thanks for taking time to comment. Really happy you’ve enjoyed the thread. (And your English is infinitely better than my Portuguese.)

As for alcohol, there’s no reason you can’t include a sensible amount in your diet and still achieve an excellent physique (and 3-4 beers/week is certainly not unreasonable in my book). I eschew it simply because I’d rather ‘spend’ calories on other things.

Best of luck reaching your goals, and please stop in anytime.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

ED I’ve always followed (13 years) a traditional BB diet for bulking and cutting until I came across your thread (which is amazing). So I started cutting two months ago and following what you do to a T (and I’ve been cutting every summer for the past 8 years). You are wrong about your method being maybe a few % (it is more!) I’ve never gotten results this fast and maintained as much muscle AND felt this good while dieting/cutting! (Tried to attach my pic from the station gym) Do you have a formula of fats, carbs, and protein for you’re BW that you try to follow when cutting and bulking? Of so what is it? [/quote]

Congrats on the cut (you look great), and I’m delighted to hear that some of this worked for you. I (and others I’m sure) would love to hear specifics about your diet and training if you feel like sharing.

I don’t have a particular formula for determining macros–more like a set of guiding principles:

On my current ‘bulk,’ I’m shooting for 2800-3300 cal/d on lifting days, 1800-2000 on nonlifting days.

[/quote]

Specifics on my diet before trying yours. I never counted calories. Instead, I measured my portions by using a (my) fist size portion of protein and a fist size portion of complex carbohydrate. I ate every 2-3 hours which means I got 6-8 meals every day. My MAIN FOOD SOURCES were: Protein-Fish, Poultry, Steak(beef tenderloin or eye of round)/lean beef, Egg Whites, Protein Powder. Carbohydrates- Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, Whole wheat Pasta, Oats, Ezekiel bread. I never took in any extra fats. I ONLY drink water (at least a gallon a day). I never had a cheat day or cheat meal. My pre workout meal consisted of a shake with 100g carbs (banana, apple, oats, honey and raw greens supplement), 50g protein (protein powder, egg whites, greek yogurt). Intra workout would consist of a bcaa mix. Post workout would be another shake after the last working set consisting of 100g dextrose and maltodextrin mix and 50g protein. It would take me around 12 months to get into the shape I’m in now and I achieved it in about 8 weeks using your diet! Thanks ED for opening my eyes to something new!

Now specifics on the diet I’m following from ED. The only things that I’m doing different is: 1- I drink 30oz of ice water with 2 tbsp of lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother) first thing in the morning with a green tea supplement for the health benefits. 2- I’m using the same intra workout mix as you ED except I’m using BCAA’s instead and adding in glutamine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, taurine creatine mono, and l-carnitine l-tartrate. Post workout after my last working set I drink 45g protein and eat a grapefruit (after washing my hands). Then I go home and eat more yummy carbs until I hit my limit like you do. Everything else I follow exactly what you do. I’ve also had a few cheat meals while on your diet and have still lost weight every week (I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning after using the bathroom).

I had a question about pre workout meal/shake. Have you done it in the past and if so did you notice a difference with energy compared to what you’re doing now? I don’t know if my body is still trying to get used to not having the 100g carb shake beforehand (or carbs throughout the day in general) that I’ve done for so long or if it’s just mental but I feel like I’m running out of gas earlier in the workout then usual.

It would take me around 12 months to get into the shape I’m in now and I achieved it in about 8 weeks using your diet! Thanks ED for opening my eyes to something new!

Edited to 12 weeks… Not 12 months lol!

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

Specifics on my diet before trying yours. I never counted calories. Instead, I measured my portions by using a (my) fist size portion of protein and a fist size portion of complex carbohydrate. I ate every 2-3 hours which means I got 6-8 meals every day. My MAIN FOOD SOURCES were: Protein-Fish, Poultry, Steak(beef tenderloin or eye of round)/lean beef, Egg Whites, Protein Powder. Carbohydrates- Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, Whole wheat Pasta, Oats, Ezekiel bread. I never took in any extra fats. I ONLY drink water (at least a gallon a day). I never had a cheat day or cheat meal. My pre workout meal consisted of a shake with 100g carbs (banana, apple, oats, honey and raw greens supplement), 50g protein (protein powder, egg whites, greek yogurt). Intra workout would consist of a bcaa mix. Post workout would be another shake after the last working set consisting of 100g dextrose and maltodextrin mix and 50g protein. It would take me around 12 months to get into the shape I’m in now and I achieved it in about 8 weeks using your diet! Thanks ED for opening my eyes to something new!

Now specifics on the diet I’m following from ED. The only things that I’m doing different is: 1- I drink 30oz of ice water with 2 tbsp of lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother) first thing in the morning with a green tea supplement for the health benefits. 2- I’m using the same intra workout mix as you ED except I’m using BCAA’s instead and adding in glutamine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, taurine creatine mono, and l-carnitine l-tartrate. Post workout after my last working set I drink 45g protein and eat a grapefruit (after washing my hands). Then I go home and eat more yummy carbs until I hit my limit like you do. Everything else I follow exactly what you do. I’ve also had a few cheat meals while on your diet and have still lost weight every week (I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning after using the bathroom). [/quote]

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing, and congrats again.

[quote]
I had a question about pre workout meal/shake. Have you done it in the past and if so did you notice a difference with energy compared to what you’re doing now? I don’t know if my body is still trying to get used to not having the 100g carb shake beforehand (or carbs throughout the day in general) that I’ve done for so long or if it’s just mental but I feel like I’m running out of gas earlier in the workout then usual. [/quote]

Yeah, I’ve switched from starting to sip on the drink ~10 minutes into the workout, to downing the whole thing pre-w/o. TBH, I haven’t noticed much of a difference in energy levels. (I made the switch in order to get insulin levels up and cortisol levels down a little sooner.) That said, if you felt better downing some carbs pre-w/o, I’d say go for it.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

Now specifics on the diet I’m following from ED. The only things that I’m doing different is: 1- I drink 30oz of ice water with 2 tbsp of lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother) first thing in the morning with a green tea supplement for the health benefits. 2- I’m using the same intra workout mix as you ED except I’m using BCAA’s instead and adding in glutamine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, taurine creatine mono, and l-carnitine l-tartrate. Post workout after my last working set I drink 45g protein and eat a grapefruit (after washing my hands). Then I go home and eat more yummy carbs until I hit my limit like you do. Everything else I follow exactly what you do. I’ve also had a few cheat meals while on your diet and have still lost weight every week (I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning after using the bathroom). [/quote]

[quote]
I had a question about pre workout meal/shake. Have you done it in the past and if so did you notice a difference with energy compared to what you’re doing now? I don’t know if my body is still trying to get used to not having the 100g carb shake beforehand (or carbs throughout the day in general) that I’ve done for so long or if it’s just mental but I feel like I’m running out of gas earlier in the workout then usual. [/quote]

Yeah, I’ve switched from starting to sip on the drink ~10 minutes into the workout, to downing the whole thing pre-w/o. TBH, I haven’t noticed much of a difference in energy levels. (I made the switch in order to get insulin levels up and cortisol levels down a little sooner.) That said, if you felt better downing some carbs pre-w/o, I’d say go for it. [/quote]

ED what are your thoughts on maybe downing 30-40g of protein with 20-30g liquid coconut oil for the MCT 30 minutes before the workout instead of my old ways with the carb shake? Will this have less impact on my insulin or will it not make a difference either way?

The only off day I take from training is usually my Medic day (we are crossed trained) due to being so busy. I lift with PERFECT form and optimal weight. 90% of the time I pair chest/back and tri’s/bi’s together. Legs and shoulders get their own day. My workouts are very fast pasted with lots of super and giant sets. I’ve had the best results incorporating YT3, DTP,and FST-7 into my training. How’s your training going? Anymore changes?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]

Yeah, I’ve switched from starting to sip on the drink ~10 minutes into the workout, to downing the whole thing pre-w/o. TBH, I haven’t noticed much of a difference in energy levels. (I made the switch in order to get insulin levels up and cortisol levels down a little sooner.) That said, if you felt better downing some carbs pre-w/o, I’d say go for it. [/quote]

ED what are your thoughts on maybe downing 30-40g of protein with 20-30g liquid coconut oil for the MCT 30 minutes before the workout instead of my old ways with the carb shake? Will this have less impact on my insulin or will it not make a difference either way? [/quote]

Removing the carbs would, I expect, result in a reduced insulin response. Is there a reason you want to remove the pre-w/o carbs? Or is it that you’re contemplating shifting those carbs to your intra-w/o drink instead?

Your training style sounds similar to what I do most of the time. However, of late I’ve changed things up, and have been focusing on getting stronger via straight sets employing a linear periodization approach (fancyspeak for ‘putting a little more weight on the bar every workout’). I’m still in the honeymoon phase (ie, i haven’t had to grind yet), so it remains to be seen how this will turn out.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah I want to keep my intra workout mix the same. I’ve been using 50g of the Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin for each workout (the pumps are skin splitting!). Do you think this is too much? The protein and MCT mix seem to be doing the trick 30-45 minutes before the workout. I’m hoping I’ll continue to see the amazing results even though I made this small change.

BTW, what are your thoughts on pump agents like agmatine, citrulline, Glycerol, norvaline, and nitrates?

Yeah I want to keep my intra workout mix the same. I’ve been using 50g of the Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin for each workout (the pumps are skin splitting!). Do you think this is too much? The protein and MCT mix seem to be doing the trick 30-45 minutes before the workout. I’m hoping I’ll continue to see the amazing results even though I made this small change. [/quote]

No, I definitely don’t think 50 mg carbs is too much. Keep us posted as to how your MCT experiment works out.

[quote]
BTW, what are your thoughts on pump agents like agmatine, citrulline, Glycerol, norvaline, and nitrates?[/quote]

I’ve never used any of those, so have no basis to comment.

EyeDentist
just came across this thread, I’ve been enjoying reading through it while I’ve had to take a brief break from training (bulging disc C6-C7, and protruding disc C5-C6). As a fellow medical professional I appreciate your creative thinking in taking other concepts and tweaking them for your own situation!

during my layoff, I’ve been incorporating your PB “fast” throughout the day (then copious protein and veggies at night, no carbs since I can’t weight train currently) I’ve lost significant body fat, minimal muscle (at least visually), with only very minimal cardio, and the scant exercise I get during PT. I’ve tried traditional intermittent fasting in the past, but with less pronounced fat loss and definite muscle loss). Kudos to you for thinking up this concept!

I’m cleared to know start training again, very limited, very light for now. But as I fully transition back to “real” training. I’ve followed a constant "power-bobybuilding approach since college football was over (think Justin Harris/Paul Carter type programming) Turning 40 next month, and accumulating multiple training issues over the last 3 years (fractured tibia, torn pec, knee surgery, and now this cervical neck issue), I’ve decided to focus on maximal leanness rather than strength/size (at least for now, lol)

I’m starting to think about how to keep the “PB fast” strategy going. My work/family life dictate that I train 1st in the morning, 5 AM. I appreciate the critical thinking I’ve seen in your thoughts here! So, I would really love to get your thoughts on how you would handle nutrition in this scenario, while keeping the current concepts you employ?

TRAINING DAYS - my current thoughts are to hit protein carbs hard pre/intra workout, then possibly 1 protein carb meal post workout. Wait 3-4 hours and do the “PB fast” through rest of the day. Maybe protein veggies for dinner (usually don’t eat dinner until 7:30 - 8:30, work, kids sports etc)

CARDIO/CONDITIONING DAYS - just follow your typical approach

again, would really appreciate to see your thought process here. Thanks!

Hi Hospitaller, thanks for stopping by. I def agree–intermittent fatting is much easier to live with than is intermittent fasting (which is probably why it works better for people like us).

You nailed it. If forced by circumstance to lift first thing in the morning, I think this is exactly what I would do. Bolus simple carbs + protein hydrolysates pre- and intra-workout, have my big yummy-carb meal post-w/o, ‘shut it down’ for the next 10-12 hours or so via a PB-and-coffee fast, then have a protein + veggies meal at the end of the day. Best of luck, and please let us know how it works for you.

thanks! Will do

Hello EyeDentist,

I have really enjoyed reading this whole thread, and I find it very informative! I have one question for you, and will appreciate if you answer it :slight_smile: First, I want to apologize for my poor English. I am 34 yo, 6’6" tall, about 235lbs, skinny-fat. I got about 10 years experience in lifting weights, but I quit training about 7-8 years ago. Before quitting, I was the same height and weight, but I was a LOT leaner back than (around 10-12 % bf). I quess I am 25 % bf now.

My long term goal Is to build muscle, and cut down fat to a decent % . Basically I want to look better. And here is the question- if you were in my shoes (is that the correct expression? ) what would you do - first drop down fat to the desired %, and than bulk up, or just the opposite- gain some muscle and than cut?
Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. Trying to upload some photos.

Hi Borko, thanks for stopping in, and glad you’ve enjoyed the thread. I’m assuming you’re not facing a pressing deadline to look your best–for example, you’re not getting married soon, or about to go on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii, etc.

Given this, if I were in your shoes (that is the correct expression), I would suggest eating modestly over maintenance cals and trying to gain muscle mass prior to cutting. I say this for two reasons: First, you’re not that fat; and second, given your extensive weightlifting experience, muscle memory (it’s a real thing) will allow you to gain lean mass at a rate much faster than could a true newb. So if I were you, I’d hit the weights hard and eat to gain (don’t let yourself get sloppy-fat, of course), then re-evaluate in 6 months or so. By then, you’ll likely have obtained all the ‘muscle memory gains’ you’re going to get. At that point, with more LBM on your considerable frame, you’ll have a much easier time cutting than you would now.

Whatever you decide, please update us on your progress at some point down the road. Best of luck.

Thank you very much for your answer! I will follow your advice, and will inform how things work out for me. Wish you all the best!

This thread has been on the 1st page of BSL for over a year. Good stuff. Do you drink weak coffee? Stronger brews make me jittery and slightly irritable.

My running is improving, but still painfully slow. It’s nice not getting out of breath walking up stairs though.

Hey Cap, glad to hear your running is coming along. Since I drink coffee in quantity (at least 3-4 cups/d), it has to be fairly weak or (like you) I find myself getting jittery/nervous. After 6P, it’s nothing but decaf for me, or I can’t fall asleep at a reasonable hour.