EyeDentist, How Do You Train?

No way I’m letting my wife take her frustration out on my calves!

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
My calves had a date with a lax ball last night. I’d also recommend letting your SO go to town on them; it’s difficult to administer the amount of suffering on yourself needed to really get them to loosen up.

My trigger points are shown in the third view, although the higher trigger point is situated more lateral on my leg than they show.[/quote]

That upper/lateral one in the third pic is all me.

Hey ED,

As a fellow IF’er (minus the PB), I am wondering on your thoughts on the latest article regarding high protein breakfast? I am especially interested on your views regarding the higher risk of cardiovascular disease with skipping breakfast?

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hey ED,

As a fellow IF’er (minus the PB), I am wondering on your thoughts on the latest article regarding high protein breakfast? I am especially interested on your views regarding the higher risk of cardiovascular disease with skipping breakfast?

tweet[/quote]

Hmm…Hadn’t seen that one. Will give it a careful read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hey ED,

tweet[/quote]

Hmm…Hadn’t seen that one. Will give it a careful read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
[/quote]

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this article as well, EyeDentist. Along with anyone else… experiences, preferences, etc.

[quote]smarterANDharder wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hey ED,

tweet[/quote]

[/quote]

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this article as well, EyeDentist. Along with anyone else… experiences, preferences, etc.[/quote]

Just personal anecdote since you asked for others. I used IF to get into the shape in my profile pic. Nothing that lean but I wouldn’t call it fat either. Had been IFing for almost 2’years by then so the claims it makes you store more fat is just off. I was quite lose with my diet most nights hitting quarts of ice cream and boxes of cereal and loaves of bread 3-4 nights a week and still with IF managed to look ok. The claims in the article are not at all backed by any science I have read

Edit should mention that I drank coffee with Splenda in the fast. No problems burning fat IMO.

Shameless Request for Vision Advice -

Hi EyeDentist! This is probably a basic question but I’m having a hard time finding the answer. If someone is nearsighted with a prescription of -3.00, about how far can they see clearly? Specifically, about how far away before they can’t see facial expressions well? I’m asking because I just discovered that my older daughter needs glasses. For some background, she has Rett Syndrome, is in a wheelchair and can’t speak or communicate so I can’t ask her what her experience is like. The pediatric ophthalmologist dilated her eyes to test her vision. I hadn’t suspected a problem because she tracks things in her visual field, likes to look at pictures and people, and enjoys TV - Don’t they all! :wink: No, she’s VERY sweet, and super social. If you smile at her, she’ll smile right back at you. I know she can’t see things across the room clearly, but I’m just wondering how close someone has to be before things get fuzzy.

Thanks in advance. And I’ve enjoyed your thoughts about training and nutrition here.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

Hi EyeDentist! This is probably a basic question but I’m having a hard time finding the answer. If someone is nearsighted with a prescription of -3.00, about how far can they see clearly? Specifically, about how far away before they can’t see facial expressions well? I’m asking because I just discovered that my older daughter needs glasses. For some background, she has Rett Syndrome, is in a wheelchair and can’t speak or communicate so I can’t ask her what her experience is like. The pediatric ophthalmologist dilated her eyes to test her vision. I hadn’t suspected a problem because she tracks things in her visual field, likes to look at pictures and people, and enjoys TV - Don’t they all! :wink: No, she’s VERY sweet, and super social. If you smile at her, she’ll smile right back at you. I know she can’t see things across the room clearly, but I’m just wondering how close someone has to be before things get fuzzy.

Thanks in advance. And I’ve enjoyed your thoughts about training and nutrition here.

[/quote]
Im not ED, but let me help as I know he is busy.

A -3.00 prescription would normally mean that that person would wear spectacles almost full time. Such person would be able to see things clearly up close (up to about 35 centimeters), however would struggle to recognize a face for example that is more than 5-10 meters away, and would not be able to pass the vision standards for holding a drivers license.

It would be common for -3.00 person not to wear spectacles for reading/computer, however I would expect them to wear them for anything that requires vision for things more than 2-3 meters away.

Here is a blur simulator I had quickly found on the net. Enter in -3.00 and this will simulate what a -3.00 person can see at distance. I hope this helps.
http://billauer.co.il/simulator.html

tweet

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[/quote]

Hi Power, I can do better than tell you what the world looks like to a -3D myope–I can tell you how to see for yourself. In myopia, the eyes have too much focusing power for their length. In like manner, you can give your own eyes too much focusing power with reading glasses. So the next time you’re in a store that sells reading glasses, put on a pair labeled ‘+3.0’–which will give your eyes 3D too much focusing power for their length–and look around. That is what the world looks like to an uncorrected -3D myope.

Hope this helps. My best to you and your daughter.

Sorry, I typed my reply before ED’s response had appeared.

tweet

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[/quote]

Hi Power, I can do better than tell you what the world looks like to a -3D myope–I can tell you how to see for yourself. In myopia, the eyes have too much focusing power for their length. In like manner, you can give your own eyes too much focusing power with reading glasses. So the next time you’re in a store that sells reading glasses, put on a pair labeled ‘+3.0’–which will give your eyes 3D too much focusing power for their length–and look around. That is what the world looks like to an uncorrected -3D myope.

Hope this helps. My best to you and your daughter.
[/quote]

Perfect. I’ll do that. Thank you so much.

Rebecca

[quote]theBird wrote:
Sorry, I typed my reply before ED’s response had appeared.

tweet[/quote]

Thanks so much for taking the time, Bird. I’ll check out the link.

Just an aside. We looked at frames today and I was able to try on some +2.5 lenses. Close at least, and wow. I feel terrible that I didn’t realize she needed glasses so badly. It will be a life changer and she’s going to be super adorable in her glasses. As you can see, I already have the cutest prowler in the neighborhood, but the little specs will clinch it. Thank you. You guys have a good weekend!

That’s a sporty set of wheels she’s got there! Here’s hoping specs help her enjoy life all the more. Would love to hear whether you think they do.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Just an aside. We looked at frames today and I was able to try on some +2.5 lenses. Close at least, and wow. I feel terrible that I didn’t realize she needed glasses so badly. It will be a life changer and she’s going to be super adorable in her glasses. As you can see, I already have the cutest prowler in the neighborhood, but the little specs will clinch it. Thank you. You guys have a good weekend! [/quote]

Powerpuff,
I am currently working with someone whose wife is dealing with the same situation back in the states. From some of the things he has told me concerning the challenges she faces every day, you have my deepest respect for providing the best you can for your daughter and still continue to train. Most people simply could not do what you do. Much respect to you,and I wish you and your daughter the best.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hey ED,

tweet[/quote]

OK, I’ve had a chance to read the article a couple of times. My first impression was not a good one–I found the article vague, unhelpfully bereft of citations, and in parts misleading. (In fairness to the author, he addresses some of these deficiencies in the Comments section.)

But shortcomings such as these do not automatically drain all merit from the case the article advances. So I am currently neck-deep in research articles (including some alluded to by the author) concerning the issues raised. If I manage to form some coherent thoughts in this regard, I’ll share them.

[quote]idaho wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Just an aside. We looked at frames today and I was able to try on some +2.5 lenses. Close at least, and wow. I feel terrible that I didn’t realize she needed glasses so badly. It will be a life changer and she’s going to be super adorable in her glasses. As you can see, I already have the cutest prowler in the neighborhood, but the little specs will clinch it. Thank you. You guys have a good weekend! [/quote]

Powerpuff,
I am currently working with someone whose wife is dealing with the same situation back in the states. From some of the things he has told me concerning the challenges she faces every day, you have my deepest respect for providing the best you can for your daughter and still continue to train. Most people simply could not do what you do. Much respect to you,and I wish you and your daughter the best. [/quote]

Hey, thank you. And I’m sorry to hear about your friend and his family. Nobody hopes for one of their kids to have something like this. Those first couple of years trying to find a diagnosis and then mentally adjusting to that are the worst. My heart goes out to them. It does get easier. Like lifting weights, we adapt and get stronger when we lift heavy stuff. :slight_smile: My other kids just love her. There is beauty in everything.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
Yeah to be honest my main concern is twofold: first, that if I were to decide that it’s time to lose weight, I’m doing so much activity right now that there won’t be “things to add on” in the way that bodybuilders usually approach the diet process; second, that it’s affecting my strength gains. Ha, I’m just wondering on what the over/under is on weeks of keeping this up before I’d either turn into (1) a lard ass or (2) someone with a respectable amount of muscle.

Edit: Ha, I just think (/fear) that my story will eventually become:

At 27 I had a huge medical event that was GI related. After more than a decade of serious training and maintaining a fairly strict diet, my GI system essentially fell apart. After the surgery I felt like “what the hell have I been doing with all this careful food selection if this is where I end up?”, and resolving not to be so restrictive. And boy did I not restrict. In fact, I got pretty fat before cleaning things up.

Ha, so at least in my narrative I build in a rebound. [/quote]

IIRC, you are still in the midst of rehabbing/recovering from your medical event, yes? [/quote]

Hmm, not exactly. My last surgery was on Dec. 31st to remove the abscess tubing, and it seems to have worked out well this time.

I think some of these diet issues are related to two factors: first, my starting to experiment with more foods. Since the blockage in September, I’d been on a diet of almost exclusively yogurt and rice cakes (before that, dating from July, it was stuff like Ensure after a three week period of tube feeding). That is coupled with the fact that I cannot eat the foods that gave me the “sweet” sensation that I used to eat: sweet potatoes, onions, some fruit. When I was just out of surgery I was able to buy melons that were in season (that’s the only fruit I can eat), whereas now my body still wants some sugars but doesn’t have the melons (which are now very expensive and not great looking where I live), so wanting things like sugary cereal, nonfat ice cream etc. are just hitting me very hard. At this point I think I’m just going to ride this wave and see where it gets me, insofar as I’m at around 170-175 now whereas immediately pre-surgery I was more like 190-200 and a couple months before that as high as 210.

But at least having the more expansive diet does seem to be aiding my lifting and such, as I think most of the weight I’ve put on so far is pretty good weight, and my MMC has been improving while the weights have been increasing as well. Just concerned about all of a sudden feeling like I’m making food selections that pre-surgery me would never have made/craved.

How long do you guys test different theories, diet changes, routine changes, etc. if you’re not seeing results, before moving on to something different or back to something that worked before?

[quote]smarterANDharder wrote:
How long do you guys test different theories, diet changes, routine changes, etc. if you’re not seeing results, before moving on to something different or back to something that worked before?[/quote]

It depends upon how ‘not working’ it is. I’ve had programs/diets I’ve dropped after a couple of months, and others I’ve dropped after a couple of days.