Eye-Popping Assertion on Wikipedia

“Slavery was officially established in Virginia in 1654, when Anthony Johnson, a black man, convinced a court that his servant (also black) John Casor was his for life.”

quoted from

which is quoted on both Stormfront – an unabashedly white power group who I can certainly believe would fake it. The bulk of the Wikipedia article is copped from one on the PBS site:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1narr3.html

which does not mention the above fact. Since I’m being both curious & lazy, does anyone have a real source for this or know the origin of this statement?

– jj

I’ve never heard that before. Slavery has been around since man has existed. Wikipedia is a good place to get general information, but it sometimes lets some crazy “fact” by.

[quote]blake2616 wrote:
I’ve never heard that before. Slavery has been around since man has existed. Wikipedia is a good place to get general information, but it sometimes lets some crazy “fact” by.[/quote]

I believe that it is talking about the origination of slavery in the state of Virginia, and hence the US.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
The historian Edmund Morgan mentions that white indentured servants and the first blacks (early to mid 1600s) in the colonies shared the same legal status. The Virginia colony plantation owners actually preferred whites initially even if they came from English prisons.

Some black indentured servants were released at the end of their contracts as were whites. The “permanent servant” status reared its ugly head in the 1660s.

Tobacco and rice farming were labor intensive and there simply were not enough available whites to fill the jobs. Arab and African slave trading had been going on for centuries when Europeans discovered they could take advantage of that existing infrastructure to supply the demand for cheap labor.

FWIW, Jefferson, a Virginian, in his original draft of the Declaration of Independence, included a charge against King George III that he had forced the reprehensible practice of slavery on the colonies . This statement was dropped from the final draft for what appears to be a political compromise with the Carolinas and Georgia.
[/quote]

Whew i’m glad you correctly stated taking advantage of an “EXISTING” infrastructure. Seems like most Americans feel whites created and perpetuated slavery the world over. This is Very wrong. Europeans got in on it for a short while and realized it’s evil very shortly and banned it wherever they could. It took 400 years but that’s nothing compared to the several thousands of years it flourished the world over.

Why is the white man NOT credited for ending one of the worst practices of human kind?

[quote]Gregus wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
The historian Edmund Morgan mentions that white indentured servants and the first blacks (early to mid 1600s) in the colonies shared the same legal status. The Virginia colony plantation owners actually preferred whites initially even if they came from English prisons.

Some black indentured servants were released at the end of their contracts as were whites. The “permanent servant” status reared its ugly head in the 1660s.

Tobacco and rice farming were labor intensive and there simply were not enough available whites to fill the jobs. Arab and African slave trading had been going on for centuries when Europeans discovered they could take advantage of that existing infrastructure to supply the demand for cheap labor.

FWIW, Jefferson, a Virginian, in his original draft of the Declaration of Independence, included a charge against King George III that he had forced the reprehensible practice of slavery on the colonies . This statement was dropped from the final draft for what appears to be a political compromise with the Carolinas and Georgia.
[/quote]

Whew i’m glad you correctly stated taking advantage of an “EXISTING” infrastructure. Seems like most Americans feel whites created and perpetuated slavery the world over. This is Very wrong. Europeans got in on it for a short while and realized it’s evil very shortly and banned it wherever they could. It took 400 years but that’s nothing compared to the several thousands of years it flourished the world over.

Why is the white man NOT credited for ending one of the worst practices of human kind? [/quote]

That would be part of the I’m responsible for myself thing. Constant balme shiftign keeps people from taking personal responsibility.

You guys are all racist! I can’t believe you would lie about slavery like this. White people are responsible for slavery, and Martin Luther King is responsible for ending it. Get your facts straight!

V

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]blake2616 wrote:
I’ve never heard that before. Slavery has been around since man has existed. Wikipedia is a good place to get general information, but it sometimes lets some crazy “fact” by.[/quote]

I believe that it is talking about the origination of slavery in the state of Virginia, and hence the US.[/quote]

Okay. That makes more sense.