Extremely Tight Hip Flexors

Tight hip flexors can cause a lot of back pain and over all bad posture. I have extremely tight hip flexor muscles and I’ve just started stretching them at least twice a day. I just want to know how long would it take to release?? And what can I do to get faster results??

The article is very useful and very informative, but i need to know how long does it take to release a tight muscle through stretching. I’ve been stretching my hip flexors for almost 3 month everyday 3x a day and still no results. :S

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I have typeed out a long detailed reply to this in the thread ‘blasting lordosis and tilt’ I think.

Do the bed time flexor stretch every night for 3 weeks and if it’s not cured, I’ll give you your money back!

BBB[/quote]
I know that the article tell you everything you need to know, but i just want to know how long does it take to release tight muscle. I’ve been stretching my hip flexors for 3 month now everyday x3 and still no results???

OK then, but when i start stretching my hip flexors they are usually sore and they hurt as I stretch. So should continue to stretch or wait for it to recover.

bump

You’re not going to get much better help than BBB, unless you have somebody do a proper diagnosis in person. Don’t know why you’re bumping this.

[quote]Tommyoz wrote:
OK then, but when i start stretching my hip flexors they are usually sore and they hurt as I stretch. So should continue to stretch or wait for it to recover. [/quote]

Sorry, I don’t understand your question.

What do you mean by ‘recover’?

BBB[/quote]

I think he means should be “recover” from the soreness in his muscles after stretching before doing the next session, similar to if you have severe DOMS one would normally give an extra day of recovery before training that body part again.

My answer to the question would be, “it depends”. If you are getting that much pain from stretching there is tons of microtrauma occurring at the muscle/tendon. BUT, you shouldn’t be getting THAT much microtrauma if you are stretching properly. My guess is that you are either using improper technique on your stretches and/or applying way too much over-pressure and being too aggressive with each individual stretch. Also, if you aren’t stretching when the blood supply is ample to the area and the muscles are not “warm”, that can cause some of that discomfort as well. I think it was Myers that said that it can take upwards of 12 months with regular soft tissue manipulation (mobility drills, foam rolling/soft tissue work, stretching etc) to create significant and permanent plastic changes in myofascial restrictions so it isn’t something to rush through.

Or, you could just be over analyzing a normal muscle soreness and have a lower pain threshold and don’t need to worry about anything.

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
I think it was Myers that said that it can take upwards of 12 months with regular soft tissue manipulation (mobility drills, foam rolling/soft tissue work, stretching etc) to create significant and permanent plastic changes in myofascial restrictions so it isn’t something to rush through.

.[/quote]

12 Months? Damn. I really need to post up a video of my ‘bed-time psoas stretch’ to illustrate how it can sometimes only take a few weeks to effect permanent plastic changes, if you apply the correct techniques.

BBB[/quote]

I could be mistaken in the quote or taking it out of context of how it was written/presented as I am going strictly off of memory. But I think Myers was saying that with significant plastic tissue restrictions you can get some good noticeable results in a short timeframe with very frequent and consistent work, but that the actually tissue won’t make significant/permanent changes until it has been placed under that load for upwards of 12 months. I will have to dig around and try and find the article.

EDIT: And I did find your bed time psoas stretch and think it is a great way of addressing the issue and feel many (if not all) would get great results by utilizing it. Here is the link to the discussion thread for BBB’s psoas stretch if any are interested in reading it: Blasting Lordosis and Tilt - Christian Thibaudeau Coaching - Forums - T Nation

Great insight BBB. Never really thought of the CNS relaxation during sleep. Do you have any tips that you recommend to your clients about sleeping position? I would just see it being counter productive to sleep with your hips flexed after doing all that work to lengthen them.

I am a big fan of the CRAC/PNF style of “stretching”. I think that the neurological system is a big component that many people forget when addressing mobility deficits.

BBB - I just bookmarked your post referenced above! Awesome.

Any thoughts on sitting position and it’s effect on APT and postural problems? I spend 7 hours a day at a desk and I hate thinking it’s worsening my already pronounced tilt and lordosis and contributing to some kyphosis. Any tips to focus on while seated?

This seems to say I should lay back all day lol

I’d heard of the kneeling chair too, any opinions?

I respect your opinion very much. Thanks!

my psoas was super tight whenever i foamrolled or use a tennis ball on it so i went to a licensed ART and they helped release the muscle and fixed it although i still have to stretch it often. If yours is not caused by the psoas, keep stretching it and do some activation exercises, i think a good one is the overhead (holding a medicine ball) walking lunge.

after awhile, it’ll feel better and in addition, your flexibility/mobility will go through the roof.

Thank you

I will incorporate your advice… and hopefully I can execute an OH lunge without my upper back/shoulder spasm-ing like last time!

I used to be so flexible now I’m a mess haha