Extremely Lactose Intolerant Person, Post Workout Nutrition?

@CT what are your post workout nutrition recommendations for clients who are very lactose intolerant?

Iā€™m going to assume you mean what should they use if they canā€™t down a whey protein shake.

The real question then is do you even need a post workout shake? Maybe, maybe not. Iā€™m sure CT has more insight, but personally Iā€™ve seen no difference between using shakes and just consuming whole foods. The amino acids from a prior meal will still be in the blood stream.

1 Like

Ya ive used hard boiled eggs in the past. Had a bad episode of gout caused by whey protein. Ive had bloat reactions to all types of whey unfortunately. Ive had to use vega. Im thinking of using a vega/creatine/bcaa combo and would love input.

I would just eat whole foods. Make sure to have 40+ grams of protein 2-3 hours before training. I promise you wonā€™t lose any size. Itā€™s just a belief, not reality.

1 Like

Ty :grinning:

Iā€™ve just hit the 80 hour mark of a water fast and training as normal. My muscles are shrinking before my eyes!!

I have switched to whole food because of intolerance to powders. I have not lost any ground. I actually enjoy eating rather than drinking my peri workout meals. I do not miss the bloat. Besides, the golden era of body builders would eat whole foods prior to the supplement explosion. They did ok.

2 Likes

Is there a reason youā€™re training during it?

I feel you with the lactose intolerance. I just have meat post workout, and if you want to get picky with sources then something lean will digest faster than something fatty, so chicken breast > eggs, on paper.

1 Like

Couple of reasons:

1. general experiment: can it be done with similar intensity? How is recovery, etc.
  2. to preserve mass: as per general dietary advice. Also, given GH can rise up to 500% at this time it would appear prudent to exercise in such an anabolic environment.

As I write, I am now +84 hours and can report no adverse training affects. Although, I should say, Iā€™m taking things gently following an injury setback so it is not my normal programme - which is generally BDW in its original format, i.e. high frequency, lower volume. At the moment itā€™s more basic stuff, e.g. 3x10, with conditioning work on alternate days.

If the labeling on Mag-10 and Plazma are accurate, while they do contain milk derived proteins, they would all be in the form of non-allergenic di- and tripeptides. Have you tried Mag-10 or Plazma? Iā€™d be interested to know. In fact, I would think that in theory ā€œhydrolyzedā€ whey and casien might not be allergenic to those sensitive to milk proteins because the proteins are broken down in to sub-immunoactive sized proteins.

In fact, BCAA structured peptides, also while derived from hydrolyzed whey is likely to have no dairy allergens. Iā€™d also give it a try. If its just Lactose you have a problem with then obviously lactose free milk is great. The sugar content would be half glucose and half galactose which is known to reload liver glycogen very fast after training.

1 Like

what are the positive effects of water fasting? Is it the GH release to heal an injury? Since you are not taking in any protein, it would be real interesting to get a microa albumin urine test (along with perhaps creatine). It is usually $10-$20 lab. There should be a level of training that preserves the most nitrogen on a fast, while more or less would both have negative effects. It would also be able to tell you almost point blank how many grams of glucose are being generated per day from protein.

I have had periods of great training on short fasts since it usually raises cortisol and adrenaline levels, but I tended to run into problems training hard on a fast because I felt acidotic in training. It may have been a combination of lactic acid along with ketones.

Another advantage that may occur with a water fast is that since proteins are low (unlike in protein sparing diets) it should massively down-regulate the bodyā€™s mechanisms for oxidizing protein for fuel.

To clarify, this is a water fast with added electrolytes. I have also had the odd cup of green tea or yerba mate and, after 3 days, bowl of liquid bone broth.

The positives are:

1. Quick and easy weight loss - especially after a holiday period where, not for the first time, I let myself go once too often. I could not weigh myself upon rising on day 1 as I was still on holiday. But at 10pm I was 187lbs. I rapidly dropped to 182lbs. Today and yesterday I have remained stable at 178lbs - thatā€™s a 9lbs drop. I would hope this equates to 2lbs of fat mass.

2. It is surprisingly easy. I suspect given I was coming from a ā€˜bad placeā€™, e.g. bloated, ashamed, angry, it was a bit easier. My stomach has never rumbled once in four days. There have been close to zero cravings. Bigger issues are around habit, e.g. reaching for the coffee first thing, or not eating when family are (thankfully theyā€™re understanding).

3. As mentioned above, it has not negatively impacted (so far) on training albeit at a reduced volume/intensity.

4. Iā€™m hoping it may counteract some poorer nutritional practices Iā€™ve adopted over the last 4 months, e.g. excessively high protein, heavy use of artificial sweeteners, etc. In summary, that autophagy may flourish.

5. The ā€˜Iā€™ve tried itā€™ feeling of accomplishment you get with some more extreme experiments!

Not per se, although one of the reasons I decided to do it now is that my back flared up badly and I knew training would need to be reduced during recovery. From my understanding, the rise in GH (up to 500% in deep fasts) is a protective mechanism, as is the reduction in protein turnover (down 75%). Bluntly, this suggests the pros of fasting (as mentioned earlier) outweighs the short-term negatives (small loss of LBM).

Out of my realm, Iā€™m afraid! I have done some blood ketone tests. After 60 hours I was 0.8mmol; and at 82 hours I was 1.3mmol (highest level I have ever tested at). I suspect that if I had done this while still fat-adapted both would have been far higher.

I thought that ketone levels were supposed to drop when you get keto adapted, because they get moved out of the bloodstream and burned up faster by various tissues. I personally have been trying to go very low carb (<40 grams) 2 days per week while continuing to train, and I hit 0.8-0.9 blood ketones within 36 hours (by the end of the second workout) and Iā€™m only doing about 40 minutes, sets of 4-6.

I did a zero calorie fast once (with calorie free drinks) and lost 12 pound in 72 hours. I was probably OK for electrolytes since I drank a lot of diet coke, which I donā€™t touch anymore. I also played full court pickup basketball. Again, no energy loss, but by the end of the 3rd day I was nauseous as if I were acidotic, but it could have been caffeine related.

What was your carb intake on the other 5 days? Getting into a respectably deep level of ketosis on 2 keto days is unusual. I know Peter Attia has spoken about this but his activity level is very high.

Youā€™re correct about ketone readings dropping when fat adapted. However, I heard Robert Sikes state recently that during his extended fast his levels soared. He claims he usually has high levels on his usual diet, which is circa 120g PRO and the rest fat with usual minimal carbs. So everyone responds differently.

Iā€™m ending my fast tomorrow (no choice!). So that will be circa 106 hours. Iā€™ll test again tomorrow and see what Mr Ketone Meter tells me.

There is a bunch of plant protein powder nowadays if you donā€™t want to prepare or eat whole food right after training. I donā€™t know why that should be an issue.

I am lactose intolerant too. Not only that but I am also intolerant to casein and whey, but to lesser extent. The plant protein brand that I like the most is ON Gold Standard Plant Protein (24 g protein per serving) and tastes amazing with almond milk.

ty same symptoms.