Extremely Frustrated

I need some advice, and hopefully may find a few words of wisdom from the T-Nation.

I have always been a skinny guy, and currently just over 6’ tall, and at 166-167 lbs. I have consistently been trying to put on muscle weight for over a year now, and have been staying at about the same weight.

I have hopped from program to program after finishing them, with my last three programs having the big lifts instead of curls in the squat rack.

I always feel skinny fat, in that I look in the mirror and see sticks for arms, yet barely a hint of abs. I also always feel weak in the gym. I feel like I’m maxing out (meaning I cannot complete a 5x5 set) at the following weights:

squat: 190 lbs
bench: 125 lbs
dead (only do 1x5): 190 lbs
pullups: About 10 before my first failure
chinups: About 11 before my first failure
shoulder press: 80 lbs

My diet consists of the following:

4:45 am: protein shake (Grow! 2 scoops, peanut butter, fruit, skim milk)
5-6:15 am: workout
6:30 am: protein shake (same as above)
7:30 am: 2 eggs, 4 egg beaters, 3 pieces turkey bacon, bowl of shredded wheat OR bowl of oats
10:00 am: muscle milk lite protein shake
12:00 pm: usually leftovers from night before, or if a business lunch, some type of salad with protein on it. Blue cheese dressing (lowest sugar I can find at restaurants)
3:00 pm: snack usually consisting of nuts and cheese or meat
6:00 pm: dinner which is usually a piece of meat, 2 or 3 types of veggies, salad w/ cheese crumbles and oil/vinegar dressing
8:00 pm: another snack including protein

I want to put on some muscle, but I already feel fat enough to put on another 20 lbs in my gut with no results. I’m just at a complete loss of my next step. I never eat desserts, I try and keep my carbs as low as possible, eat protein at every snack, and keep the alcohol to a few drinks a week. Yet I look like every other joe schmoe on the street that has never seen the inside of a gym.

I realize the first response will preach eating more, but where in my day am I skimping? I don’t see how packing on pounds in my gut is going to turn any heads at the beach. I understand that you have to eat more to put on muscle, but when I do ramp up calories I just feel my pants get tighter. That’s not the result I want.

What am I doing wrong?

I don’t want to sound like I’m whining, I’m just extremely frustrated at this point, and just in a state of utter confusion about what I’ve been doing wrong. I want to be strong, I want to look good, and I’m tired of being the skinny fat twerp I see in the mirror all the time.

Why are you scared of carbs? I also see a lack of fats too…

Almonds, Nut Butters, Olive Oils
Potatoes, Rice…pasta?

Cutting down on the carbs might be what is holding you back. You also need to figure out what you want to do bulk up but not make your pants tight. That is ridiculous. Its far easier to eat then cut. Then try to maintain a certain shape.

I would also read this http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/shutup_about_your_goddamned_abs_you_pussy_ . It is basically your choice. You can stay on the same routine and get strong for a decent sized guy or you can get big and strong then cut to where you want to be.

Using a light protein shake why?

here is your problem.

Where is the pizza, double cheeseburgers and weight gainer shakes in your diet?

You want to grow? Bare minimum of 4000 calories a day, I’m not fucking joking. Get rid of that “I’ve always been” mentality. I was a buck twenty at 5’8" less then two years later I hit 200 pounds. Look at those weights your using, how the fuck do you plan on squatting many plates per side without eating a shit ton of food? You will gain fat. Period.

But 220 pounds at 15-20 percent bodyfat and pressing, pulling, and squatting several plates for reps will look good as hell compares to your current physique.

Make it fucking happen.

Keep a food log for a few days. Include in it the total calories of everything you eat, the number of grams of fats, protein, carbs (and for me, I also write down how much fiber, you may find that is useful).

Do that every day for a week, and at the end of each day, total everything up. Calculate the percentage of your diet that is from protein, carbs, and fats (as a percentage of your total calories. Remember fats are 9 cals/gram, protein and carbs are 4 cals/gram).

Check to see the following:
-total calories should be up around some reasonable level (find one of those calculators online that tells you how many calories you need for your height/weight, etc.)
-protein should be at or above 1 g per pound of bodyweight
-ratio of protein to carbs to fats should be 40% : 40% : 20% or 40% : 30% : 30% or somewhere around there…

Also, I set goals for myself, saying, for instance, today I’m going to make sure I take in at least X total calories, or today I’m going to eat Y grams of carbs… etc.

report back to us in a week with what you’ve found that has surprised you…
dan

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
here is your problem.

You want to grow? Bare minimum of 4000 calories a day, I’m not fucking joking. Get rid of that “I’ve always been” mentality. I was a buck twenty at 5’8" less then two years later I hit 200 pounds.

Look at those weights your using, how the fuck do you plan on squatting many plates per side without eating a shit ton of food? You will gain fat. Period.

But 220 pounds at 15-20 percent bodyfat and pressing, pulling, and squatting several plates for reps will look good as hell compares to your current physique.

Make it fucking happen.[/quote]

Agreed. Many times I think people over think things. Eat like a pig, lift like an animal, sleep like a baby and the results will happen.

[quote]Sal.Hunt wrote:
I need some advice, and hopefully may find a few words of wisdom from the T-Nation.

I have always been a skinny guy, and currently just over 6’ tall, and at 166-167 lbs. I have consistently been trying to put on muscle weight for over a year now, and have been staying at about the same weight.

want to put on some muscle, but I already feel fat enough to put on another 20 lbs in my gut with no results. I’m just at a complete loss of my next step. I never eat desserts, I try and keep my carbs as low as possible, eat protein at every snack, and keep the alcohol to a few drinks a week. Yet I look like every other joe schmoe on the street that has never seen the inside of a gym.

I realize the first response will preach eating more, but where in my day am I skimping? I don’t see how packing on pounds in my gut is going to turn any heads at the beach. I understand that you have to eat more to put on muscle, but when I do ramp up calories I just feel my pants get tighter. That’s not the result I want.

What am I doing wrong?

[/quote]

Move more and eat more. If you’re worried about fat, add in some cardio or gpp. You say you’re not growing, so you’re not consuming enough calories. Also, you’re up at 4:45 AM, are you getting enough sleep?

Pretty much what everyone else said.

Eat more, if you’re not gaining weight, eat even more, and keep track of your measurements as well as your weight. Don’t be afraid of eating good carbs, they were not all created equal. You don’t win friends with salad, nor do you build lean mass.

troll

either you started that diet last night or…

you have tapeworm

goto wendys and grab some doublestacks u lil sissy girl.

find the biggest, fattest motherfucker that moves the most weight at your gym and workout with him.

or

the surefire way to gain weight

get a girlfriend

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

get a girlfriend[/quote]

So true! I went from 215 to 242 the first year I was married. A couple vacations and some Italian home cooking did me in.

Your problem is that you have zero intensity in the gym. You need to actually BUST YOUR ASS in the gym, not just go through the motions of a predrawn program.

You only gain muscle if you’re pushing up heavier and heavier weights for each muscle group, while gaining bodyweight.

If you’re just eating a lot of calories but aren’t busting your ass and getting stronger, then those calories are going to go to your gut.

Quit sulking and bitching and try going balls to the wall and actually forcing your muscles to do something you don’t THINK they can do next time you’re in the gym.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
here is your problem.

You want to grow? Bare minimum of 4000 calories a day, I’m not fucking joking. Get rid of that “I’ve always been” mentality. I was a buck twenty at 5’8" less then two years later I hit 200 pounds. Look at those weights your using, how the fuck do you plan on squatting many plates per side without eating a shit ton of food? You will gain fat. Period.

Make it fucking happen.[/quote]

Best post.

[quote]CallMeBruce wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:

get a girlfriend

So true! I went from 215 to 242 the first year I was married. A couple vacations and some Italian home cooking did me in.

[/quote]

haha

its friggin awesome isnt it

my girl just bought me food cuz she couldnt cook