T Nation

Extreme Snack Temptation At Work

in the past 12 weeks or so, i have lost about 20 lbs. by eating low-carb and working out a lot.

now i am plateaued a bit at around 215, and i think my main problem is cheating with candy and snacks at work.

i have never seen an office with this much free junk food lying around.

when you walk in the door, there’s a big bowl of fun size candy bars, york peppermint patties, smarties, etc.

in the kitchen right now, there is:

–a box of a dozen donuts
–a pail filled with 20-30 king size candy bars
–a huge serving bowl filled with bags of snacks–fritos, cheetos, wheat thins, etc.
–another huge serving bowl filled with cookies, crackers, cupcakes, rice krispy treats
–a huge bowl of plain m&ms
–a huge bowl of peanut m&ms

there are also cabinets filled with more of the same, and the entire stash is refilled every single day.

now, i have my protein, and my chicken, and my other low-carb items in the fridge. and i don’t even have a huge sweet tooth.

but good grief, it’s really hard to keep from sampling from this cornucopia of sugary delights. some days, i make it without a single morsel. some days, i may just have one mint or a few m&ms.

somedays, i am starving and i go crazy in the afternoons.

any advice on how to stay strong and avoid this extreme temptation?

Set goals and reach them… Maybe no snacks for a day, then week, then month. That is how I stayed away from fast food for a whole year. Also, it depends on how bad you want it(healthy body). In the last year I have only had one cookie from our office junk food stash. And I used to eat the shit daily. I mean every single day.

I avoid it by having healthy snacks in my cube with me. That way, if I get hungry, I don’t have to leave my cube to get food.

you have to be motivated. Are you eating a lean low-carb meal every 2-3 hours?

[quote]drew91 wrote:
in the past 12 weeks or so, i have lost about 20 lbs. by eating low-carb and working out a lot.

now i am plateaued a bit at around 215, and i think my main problem is cheating with candy and snacks at work.

i have never seen an office with this much free junk food lying around.

when you walk in the door, there’s a big bowl of fun size candy bars, york peppermint patties, smarties, etc.

in the kitchen right now, there is:

–a box of a dozen donuts
–a pail filled with 20-30 king size candy bars
–a huge serving bowl filled with bags of snacks–fritos, cheetos, wheat thins, etc.
–another huge serving bowl filled with cookies, crackers, cupcakes, rice krispy treats
–a huge bowl of plain m&ms
–a huge bowl of peanut m&ms

there are also cabinets filled with more of the same, and the entire stash is refilled every single day.

now, i have my protein, and my chicken, and my other low-carb items in the fridge. and i don’t even have a huge sweet tooth.

but good grief, it’s really hard to keep from sampling from this cornucopia of sugary delights. some days, i make it without a single morsel. some days, i may just have one mint or a few m&ms.

somedays, i am starving and i go crazy in the afternoons.

any advice on how to stay strong and avoid this extreme temptation?[/quote]

Bloody hell! where do you work? To give you a hand whenever I have a craving for sweets I eat a whole container - 2 cups of cottage cheese flavoured with fat free low cal hot chocolate powder and then down a big ass glass of water. That fills me up so much I don’t even want to eat anything else-plus my sweet tooth is satisfied. I get a 400 cal meal with 40 grams of protein… Chew strong flavoured gum - like cinnamon, drinking flavoured tea…Eating a peice of 85 % dark chocolate - I bet you couldn’t eat the whole bar at that concentration even if you wanted to.
good luck
N

Jesus, you work in a candy store!

Educate yourself on how awful all that stuff really is on your body, even just a little bit a week.

I’d personally get a jar for your desk or to put with the others full of unsweetened dried fruit, raw nuts, whatever to make a point to your coworkers that what they’re snacking on is so far from what they should be eating. Its all about mind games.

I don’t really think you should be a party-pooper, but it may be worth bringing up to your co-workers that be encouraging that type of continual snacking is only going to affect the company’s health a s a whole and eventually cost all of you more in health insurance costs.

My office is similar, except not that degree. There is a small candy jar that floats around, and the girls in the marketing department always have plenty of snacks available. Everytime I go in there I always remind them that they need to get helathier snacks in there. Some times they do.

To you immediate problem- just don’t eat any. Unless you are the CEO- will power is the only kind of power you’ll ever have. Make use of it.

It’s a 5-man law firm, and I work there on a contract basis.

The paralegal who stocks the kitchen is one of the skinniest people I’ve ever seen except for her giant fake tits.

I am not sure why she keeps so much junk food in there because she never eats any of it.

I tend to have a fair amount of will power but it’s pretty tough during those carb-depleted logy afternoons.

[quote]drew91 wrote:
It’s a 5-man law firm, and I work there on a contract basis.

The paralegal who stocks the kitchen is one of the skinniest people I’ve ever seen except for her giant fake tits.

I am not sure why she keeps so much junk food in there because she never eats any of it.

I tend to have a fair amount of will power but it’s pretty tough during those carb-depleted logy afternoons.[/quote]

yeah, it must be pretty hard to resist her giant fake tits

That’s nothing. My job involves going out to eat 6 times a week at least. It’s hell staring food down nightly at resteraunts and not eating.

[quote]drew91 wrote:
It’s a 5-man law firm, and I work there on a contract basis.

The paralegal who stocks the kitchen is one of the skinniest people I’ve ever seen except for her giant fake tits.

I am not sure why she keeps so much junk food in there because she never eats any of it.

I tend to have a fair amount of will power but it’s pretty tough during those carb-depleted logy afternoons.[/quote]

She needs to feel like she’s the best looking one there, so she’s encouraging others to pig out on junk food. She probably does it with a smile too.

I say you should stash tons of them somewhere (gym bag or something) and make her go broke buying them.

Eventually she might stop buying them.

If others are already hooked on eating the sweets everyday, it’s going to be very hard to convince them to stop. They’re addicted by now, and would probably threaten you if you started to openly try to get rid of them.

Make the bitch pay!

1 Don’t go to work on an empty stomach

2 Bring some fruit or nuts to work with you

3 Try thinking about the end-result:When you’re lean!

Also are you getting plenty of fat on your low carb diet? Nobody could have a worse sweet tooth than I do, but since going low carb and high fat, I kid you not, it’s no problem. The buildings I work in are riddled with shitty sugary crap too that I used to really have a hard time with which is especially bad being a type2 diabetic.

The cravings are gone, even on carb load days. I don’t know what would happen if I actually ate some, but if history is any teacher I’m bettter off just not touching it which has been no problem.

Since we’re on the subject, yesterday I walked into the break room to:

-Plateful of frosted bread pudding
-Econo box of Donuts
-2 Huge, open bags of potato chips- sour cream and onion and lay’s original
-Two platesful of vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream frosting

Took them and dumped them into the trash. That took away the temptation really fast.

Bring your own snacks.

Even then, I would more easily endure hunger pangs than eat garbage. I have no idea, anymore, how people can be tempted by candy. Flashy, artificially colored chemicals. Not food. I guess that’s why I have no trouble with candy, not considering that shit even edible.

Would you lap up a spill of antifreeze? Because you know, that shit’s bright colored and sweet tasting too.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
drew91 wrote:
It’s a 5-man law firm, and I work there on a contract basis.

The paralegal who stocks the kitchen is one of the skinniest people I’ve ever seen except for her giant fake tits.

I am not sure why she keeps so much junk food in there because she never eats any of it.

I tend to have a fair amount of will power but it’s pretty tough during those carb-depleted logy afternoons.

She needs to feel like she’s the best looking one there, so she’s encouraging others to pig out on junk food. She probably does it with a smile too.

I say you should stash tons of them somewhere (gym bag or something) and make her go broke buying them.

Eventually she might stop buying them.

If others are already hooked on eating the sweets everyday, it’s going to be very hard to convince them to stop. They’re addicted by now, and would probably threaten you if you started to openly try to get rid of them.

Make the bitch pay![/quote]

Nah, she doesn’t pay for the stuff herself, the firm does. There’s no chance I can get rid of all of it, so I’ll just have to use the will power.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Took them and dumped them into the trash. That took away the temptation really fast.[/quote]

Hahaha awesome.

The fat asses where I work would fire me.

Have you tried the V-diet? The main reason I am trying it is to help lose that craving for crappy foods. A lot of people have had a psychological change on the diet not just physical. Making their craving for garbage a lot more diminished.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
Even then, I would more easily endure hunger pangs than eat garbage. I have no idea, anymore, how people can be tempted by candy. Flashy, artificially colored chemicals. Not food. I guess that’s why I have no trouble with candy, not considering that shit even edible.

Would you lap up a spill of antifreeze? Because you know, that shit’s bright colored and sweet tasting too.[/quote]

Most of us are human and have these things known as momentary lapses of reason and willpower…

So, for the imperfect, make sure you never get hungry. If you don’t get hungry the cravings never get a chance to catch you at a weak moment.

[quote]NeoTek wrote:
Have you tried the V-diet? The main reason I am trying it is to help lose that craving for crappy foods. A lot of people have had a psychological change on the diet not just physical. Making their craving for garbage a lot more diminished.

[/quote]

I tried the V-Diet for one day twice (yes, exactly as outlined), and both times I was ready to eat my desk by about 4pm. I’m not sure I can hack it.

But I may try again.