T Nation

Extreme Newbie Needs Help!

Allright guys, I used to be 6’2 240 pounds. That was about a year ago. I then went on a serious diet/killer cardio sessions for the past year. Next thing I know I’m 6’3, 150. Now I need to gain some weight, but i fear becoming what I was. Here is a sample of my diet…

Breakfast -
Fruit Salad, 1 1/2 cups Kashi Go Lean!, OJ, 1/4 cup mixed nuts

mid-day snack-
Cottage Cheese + Carrot Sticks

Lunch-
Tunafish sandwich. fruit salad

Post lunch snack -
Kashi Granola Bar

Dinner-
Some sort of lean meat (chicken, Turkey), a veggie (brocoli, mixed veggies, asperigus etc. and a starch, potato, rice etc.

Pre-Bed snack
Cottage cheese.

When lifting, I do a upper/lower split.
I try to incorperate deadlifts, lunges, dumbell presses, pectoral flies. I am afraid to try squats without a spotter, however I know I have to start incorporating these into my workout.

Am I eating enough? What should I change? Should I fear gaining the weight back? Thanks for helping a noob like me.

[quote]theenforcer1 wrote:
Allright guys, I used to be 6’2 240 pounds. That was about a year ago. I then went on a serious diet/killer cardio sessions for the past year. Next thing I know I’m 6’3, 150. Now I need to gain some weight, but i fear becoming what I was. Here is a sample of my diet…

Breakfast -
Fruit Salad, 1 1/2 cups Kashi Go Lean!, OJ, 1/4 cup mixed nuts

mid-day snack-
Cottage Cheese + Carrot Sticks

Lunch-
Tunafish sandwich. fruit salad

Post lunch snack -
Kashi Granola Bar

Dinner-
Some sort of lean meat (chicken, Turkey), a veggie (brocoli, mixed veggies, asperigus etc. and a starch, potato, rice etc.

Pre-Bed snack
Cottage cheese.

When lifting, I do a upper/lower split.
I try to incorperate deadlifts, lunges, dumbell presses, pectoral flies. I am afraid to try squats without a spotter, however I know I have to start incorporating these into my workout.

Am I eating enough? What should I change? Should I fear gaining the weight back? Thanks for helping a noob like me.[/quote]

Well, first you need to state what your goals are. You are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy skinny. It is also likely you are doing too much cardio. If you are trying to gain size drop the cardio. I will go ahead and say you are not eating enough even though you haven’t stated any goals, plus you didn’t state the amounts of each food you are eating with a couple exceptions. I would put money against me eating more cottage cheese in a sitting than you without you even telling me how much you eat.

Lastly, afraid to do squats? Why? Learn how to do the exercise properly and you won’t hurt yourself… search for dave tate’s squatting article.
If you aren’t doing squats, deadlifts, and bench presses with variations to each you are missing out on some great exercises.

I see. I figure every time I ahve a fruit salad, I have about 2 cups of it. Cottage cheese is about a half cup. When I have chicken I have one chicken breast. When I have turkey I usually have a turkey burger, or something similar. I have cut down on the cardio drastically, simply because I havent had the energy to do the cardio as I was. I feel a lack of energy actually most of the time.

Also my goal is to bulk up a bit without…looking it. I want to gain some weight, but put it on in muscle. I fear getting fat again.

OK lets start at the ends and work backward

[quote]theenforcer1 wrote:
I see. I figure every time I ahve a fruit salad, I have about 2 cups of it. Cottage cheese is about a half cup. When I have chicken I have one chicken breast. When I have turkey I usually have a turkey burger, or something similar.[/quote]

Not enough food and need some better food choices and protein over all

The reason see above nopt enough food and most likely rest.

Goals??

[quote]
Allright guys, I used to be 6’2 240 pounds. That was about a year ago. I then went on a serious diet/killer cardio sessions for the past year. Next thing I know I’m 6’3, 150.[/quote]
Congrtas you did it and overdid it as I and many.

[quote]
Now I need to gain some weight, but i fear becoming what I was. Here is a sample of my diet…[/quote]

Youve rode the horse know how to do it. Lose the fat no worries now dont be affraid/a puss get the mental damn gumption start learning to gain that meanms eating, lifting, read the beginners thread all of the links they will help

Lets hit this diet up

[quote]
Breakfast -
Fruit Salad, 1 1/2 cups Kashi Go Lean!, OJ, 1/4 cup mixed nuts[/quote]

Complete lack of protein Kashi most is crap they load a lot of that with soy isolate etc. Fruit is good better if its not canned fruit salad in syrup get the real deal whole foods. this should be the biggest meal of the day. nuts are good i usually save for later in the day but thats getting to minutia what you need is more good food in general, Protein a LOT of it dairy, eggs meat, MRP’s.

OK MORE more than a half cup maybe some fruit.

not bad if that is a whole can of tune or more. maybe some veggies and good fats.

Junk plain and simple. Need more food if you want a bar get something like the Metabolic Drive Bars and add real food be it nuts fruit veggies etc.

[quote]
Dinner-
Some sort of lean meat (chicken, Turkey), a veggie (brocoli, mixed veggies, asperigus etc. and a starch, potato, rice etc.[/quote]

Why no Cow?? Fatty Fish?? dont be affraid of beef even pork. The so called “starch” not a fan of this late in the day unless its post training. again minutia More protein and fats need fats, olive oil, meat with some fat, eggs, nuts fish oil etc.

More and if not a variety that has fat in it add fats to this.

OK thats that.

[quote]
When lifting, I do a upper/lower split.
I try to incorperate deadlifts, lunges, dumbell presses, pectoral flies. I am afraid to try squats without a spotter, however I know I have to start incorporating these into my workout.[/quote]

start squatting, OH pressing, rows, get a soldi plan and do it. be consistant and get in there bust some ass get out. Hire a trainer if you have to to get to doing sqauts etc. meet people in the gym get a group, partners they will push you as you will them.

[quote]
Am I eating enough? [/quote]

no

[quote]
What should I change?[/quote]

More food, train hard and consistant above all. Dont be scared to try anmd learn new things.

[quote]
Should I fear gaining the weight back?[/quote]

you want to add muscle and strength right, then you MUST get heavier muscle weights a ton. now if were talking ALL the fat NO you dont have to and wont gain it all back you aint going to gain a thing on the above diet. start eating if you want to get huge sure you’ll put on some fat.

EAT, whats honestly the worst thing that will happen if you eat more and train hard?? You’ll gain, both muscle and fat, worst case to much fat Not the end ofg the world cut back on intake it goes on it comes off. The fat goes on and off MUCH easier than lots of muscle and strength goes on. Thats no BS.

[quote]
Thanks for helping a noob like me.[/quote]

No prob read up and ask any questions get a solid plan going. In the mean time dont think you have to wait for the perfect plan that gets you know where hit the gym eat more adjust as you learn more.

Hope that helps,
Phill

Thanks alot Phil!’
Lots of useful information.

I will definately make those changes. Would some oatmeal be better than the Kashi for breakfast? Right now I am out because I just had my wisdom teeth pulled, but when I can hit the gym again…probably tuesday or wednesday, I will now be more focused on the compound lifts. I guess the only fear I had with doing the squats is not having a spotter, but I am sure I can find someone to just spot me while I start.

BTW- I am 18, 6’3, 152, and my goal is probably to get to 180.

I just gotta work on getting over my fear of going back to block one, knowing im not chowing down on the chips ahoy that I was before. Any more recomendations/readings would be greatly appreaciated. I am gonna study up on the beginner’s guide on the top of the page, so far I have jus skimmed it. Other readings would be appreciated too. BTW- any food recomendations for me for the next couple of days, seeing as solid food is still sketchy? I have been living off cottage cheese, fruit and pasta.

OK,
I’ll make it very easy for you. The lifts you need to do:
Squats: front or rear
Deadlift: Whichever stance you prefer
Bench: We all know this one
Cleans: You can find tons of resources for form if you have any questions (Check out Dan John’s Site!!!)
Snatch, Shoulder press, Dips, chins and power shrugs.

I PROMISE you if you do these lifts you will grow. Full Body Training is the god of gaining size. I would lift 3 days a week, 1-1.5 hr sessions, Set up a good periodization of training using the above lifts, I will help you more with this if you need help setting up a Program.

FOOD: Make it simple
Take your goal body weight
gbw X 1.5= protein req every day
(gbw X 1.5)+ %25= daily carb req for heavy days
(gbw X 1.5)= daily carb req for moderate days
(gbw X1.5)-%25= daily carb req for light days.

Eat 6-8 meals throughout the day dividing your needed carbs/proteins and fats as needed. DO this by having seperate carb+protein meals and fat +protein meals. Make your carb meals be at Breakfast, before workout, during workout, and after workout. Your protein and fat meals will make up the rest. I have my own personal theory about fats being that you should consume around 50-60% of your bw in good fats a day when bulking, works good for me.

You can easily do a search on here for a list of good sources of protein, carbs and fats, try to eat as much real food as possibly, rely on shakes after workout only if possible.
I have made wonderful gains on oatmeal, bagels, and gatorade powder, not the best stuff for cutting but great and easy for adding good mass. As far as protein goes: chicken for carb meals, steaks for fat meals, throw in some turkey sausage with your eggs for breakfast. MAKE BREAKFAST YOUR DADDY OF ALL THE DAYS MEALS!!! Throughout the day make your meals smaller so before bed you have your smallest meal.

DO this and you should have good results gaining good mass and strength. This is all basic stuff, you can fine tune it as you go if you need to. I hope this helps.
Dastang

Don’t forget fruits and veggies!!!

Thanks guys. I will definately start to implement these changes as soon as I can chow on some solid foods. I figure I should be back in the gym by Wednesday, and then let the lifting begin.

Thanks for being patient with me. I am continuously absorbing info off of articles off this site. Thanks guys.

Great no prob

yes oatmeal real oatmeal old fashioned not that prepackaged crap is a great choice.

Yes go lift, dont fear the exercises, own them, get confidence, if your gfoing to fear anything fear you, how much you are going to lift, how hard your going to push yourself. It should be there a small fear, a you are both looking forward and a bit fearfull of just how damn hard you are going to go. Then go do it prove that what you thought you could do you could and more.

Best of luck keep reading and come on back,
Phill

Guys I did bad things today…really bad things.

It was the first day I could really stand REAL food (had wisdom teeth pulled friday).

Anyway I woke up about 7…
I had a bowl of pasta and a bowl of fruit, as these were fruits that I could get down.

At 10, I had a big bowl of watermelon, with a little more pasta.

At 1 I had a HUGE bowl of pasta, and a little more fruit.

And I just had a little more fruit today.

Needless to say I feel HUGE. I have probably ate 5 or 6 servings of pasta today. Since I cannot excersize until Wednesday at least, will this hurt me too much? Do you think I put on too much fat today?

Whatever dude, you can’t get fat in a day. Quit fearing food, I used to do this too. just start eating like a man. Eat only what cave man had access to; meat and nuts and veggies and fruit.

Eat tons of this and you will get bigger and stronger. read more about food (Berardi etc.) and refine things a bit. And lift hard. Dont sweat the little things just get going on the lifts ASAP and quit being a pussy in the kitchen. do not eat anyhting with the word lean on it unless it once had parents.

-chris

[quote]theenforcer1 wrote:
Guys I did bad things today…really bad things.

It was the first day I could really stand REAL food (had wisdom teeth pulled friday).

Anyway I woke up about 7…
I had a bowl of pasta and a bowl of fruit, as these were fruits that I could get down.

At 10, I had a big bowl of watermelon, with a little more pasta.

At 1 I had a HUGE bowl of pasta, and a little more fruit.

And I just had a little more fruit today.

Needless to say I feel HUGE. I have probably ate 5 or 6 servings of pasta today. Since I cannot excersize until Wednesday at least, will this hurt me too much? Do you think I put on too much fat today?[/quote]

Just to give you guys an idea why i fear food, i went from one extreme to the other. See pics attached.

[quote]theenforcer1 wrote:

BTW- I am 18, 6’3, 152, and my goal is probably to get to 180.
[/quote]

180lbs at 6’3"? This is “testosterone.com”, not “anorexia.com”. Average weight for a skinny person at your height is around 210lbs. You want to weigh 30lbs less than that? You must be nothing but skin and bones currently. Why are your goals so low?

Sorry, I am dealing with a bit of an eating disorder. As seen I went from pretty chubby (6’ 240, to now 6’3 153). I kinda fear going back to what I was. I know it is rediculous because im not just sitting around eating cookies and twinkies all the time like i used to. However I still am anxious about putting the weight back on. I have lost weight since the last picture too, which i know is unhealthy…its kinda rediculous. That pic was probably when I was like 175…so I have lost 25 pounds since the last pic. I know its sick, but i dont know how else to deal but to slowly put it back, and lift like crazy to get it on in muscle.

[quote]theenforcer1 wrote:
Sorry, I am dealing with a bit of an eating disorder. As seen I went from pretty chubby (6’ 240, to now 6’3 153). I kinda fear going back to what I was. I know it is rediculous because im not just sitting around eating cookies and twinkies all the time like i used to. However I still am anxious about putting the weight back on. I have lost weight since the last picture too, which i know is unhealthy…its kinda rediculous. That pic was probably when I was like 175…so I have lost 25 pounds since the last pic. I know its sick, but i dont know how else to deal but to slowly put it back, and lift like crazy to get it on in muscle.[/quote]

You weren’t really that chubby before, just slightly overweight and out of shape. Had you just worked out hard and ate clean you could have dropped 20-30lbs of fat and gotten in much better shape and landed at a clean muscular 210. Now you have to fight your way back up from a measly 150. You are going to have a tough time gaining anything but fat with your food choices. You are not eating nearly enough protein and clean healthy fats to support muscle growth. It is clear you have an eating disorder, so now might be the time to get some help with that. First and foremost stop losing weight.

Quit asking question after question after question on here and do some research on how to actually eat properly. Read up on Shurgart’s quality mass diet. And if you ever come across the term FFB- trust you are probably not one. You never really had more than 30 lbs to lose in the first place.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
theenforcer1 wrote:
Sorry, I am dealing with a bit of an eating disorder. As seen I went from pretty chubby (6’ 240, to now 6’3 153). I kinda fear going back to what I was. I know it is rediculous because im not just sitting around eating cookies and twinkies all the time like i used to. However I still am anxious about putting the weight back on. I have lost weight since the last picture too, which i know is unhealthy…its kinda rediculous. That pic was probably when I was like 175…so I have lost 25 pounds since the last pic. I know its sick, but i dont know how else to deal but to slowly put it back, and lift like crazy to get it on in muscle.

You weren’t really that chubby before, just slightly overweight and out of shape. Had you just worked out hard and ate clean you could have dropped 20-30lbs of fat and gotten in much better shape and landed at a clean muscular 210. Now you have to fight your way back up from a measly 150. You are going to have a tough time gaining anything but fat with your food choices. You are not eating nearly enough protein and clean healthy fats to support muscle growth. It is clear you have an eating disorder, so now might be the time to get some help with that. First and foremost stop losing weight.

Quit asking question after question after question on here and do some research on how to actually eat properly. Read up on Shurgart’s quality mass diet. And if you ever come across the term FFB- trust you are probably not one. You never really had more than 30 lbs to lose in the first place.[/quote]

Agreed. He wasn’t that fat before and there was no reason at all for him to drop weight the way he did. Someone that tall at only 150lbs is ridiculous.