Extreme Motivation Problems

1. Cut down to 7% or so. That might get you excited. Then…
  2. Workout just once a week on the best exercises - train squat, deadlift, chins and bench once every 7 days for 6 months or so. You could be done in 45 mins and it shouldn’t produce any major imbalances. Set a goal of gaining 25% in strength on each exercise. With a small time commitment and some attainable but challenging goals in sight, I believe this could work.

Also, don’t think you’re wierd for feeling this way. Someone would have to be pretty mindless to be 100% content with bodybuilding AS AN END IN ITSELF for years and years. Play a sport that uses the strength/size gains it gives you. Rugby league? NFL? MMA? Boxing? Just try something.

Good luck.

[quote]Vanchatron wrote:
I’m sorry for the long read but I would REALLY appreciate it if somebody could tale the time to read through it and give me their advice, thanks.

I’ve been training now for 5 years and have gained a lot of size during this time. I’m proud of my gains & how far I’ve come since starting out. Here are my stats just so you understand what type of person you’re dealing with here:

Age - 19
Height - 5,10"
Weight - 235lbs
Bodyfat - 15%

Here’s the problem. For the past few months I’ve just basically hit a wall where I just DON’T want to train. I train at home in my garage & I have to literally force myself to go to the gym by putting on motivational music, watching bodybuilding videos etc. EVen after doing all this I still don’t feel like going but I eventually walk downstairs into my gym.

When I get into the gym I do a couple exercises and then just quit completely & leave the gym to get back to my PC or to go and watch TV.

I must have tried nearly everything to actually keep me in the gym…

I bought an MP3 player and filled it with motivational music - That didn’t work.
I bought a TV & installed it in my gym - That didn’t work.
I took a week off - That didn’t work.
I went on holiday - That didn’t work.
I changed my routine completely - That didn’t work.
I thought of what I’d look like if I stopped training completely and guess what… That didn’t work either.

I honestly don’t have a clue what’s wrong with me and what I can do to change this. It just seems that I’ve run out of ideas to get motivated again.

It’s just like a boring cycle to me now… I wake up, eat a load of food, go to the gym, eat some more food & then go to bed ready to face the same cycle again the next day. I’m fed up of it but I WANT to change, I really do.

I used to LOVE going to the gym & seeing the gains that I was making but nowadays it just seems worse than sitting down & staring at a brick wall, it bores me to tears. Many people may say “well maybe bodybuilding just isn’t for you and maybe you need to take up a different sport”. Well the thing is, I don’t want to take up a different sport as the last thing I want to do is lose all the gains I’ve made in my 5 years of training and go back to square 1.

I’m good at bodybuilding/nutrition. It’s almost become second nature to me and to stop completely would be a nightmare to me, but unfortunately to me this seems to be happening.

The only reason I can think of for this decrease in motivation is the fact that for 6-8 months now I’ve been at the same weight/size & obviously to go to the gym day in/day out without seeing any gains seems like a complete waste of time.

Due to this problem of not getting anywhere gains wise I’ve considered steroids/designer steroids (superdrol etc) in order to hopefully break my plateau and start making gains again, which in turn will hopefully increase my motivation to get back in the gym. Obviously this isn’t the best route but I’m gonna be 20 in 6 months and I feel old enough/responsible enough to experiment with something like superdrol to see if it does actually help me.

Also, I was wondering whether there was any decent supplements that help to increase motivation and would make me get off my backside & go to the gym and to actually stay there and complete my workout instead of leaving after a couple of exercises.

To be honest, I really don’t know where to turn or what to do and I can’t express how much I could use some help regarding this matter.

HK[/quote]

yo man im 16 and been training for 1 yr I suggest you get a workout partner.My prob is not the motivation its the working out by myself that gets me

Yo man I’ve been lifting for 2 yrs and Have had no problems with motivation.The only thing I can suggest is that you can get youself a workout partner so you can have a more intense workout!

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
Take a month off and lose 5 or 10 lbs and look at yourself and become so disgusted you dont want to do anything but train and eat and sleep.[/quote]

Of Gain fat. . .
that is was got my ass in gear. . .

There’s been some good advice here. When I first read this I was worried that you would get slated for being spineless and just told to get on with things, but its nice to see people trying to help you out.

I went through something similar when I started training, I was lifting almost everyday, cycling to and from gym and playing sports twice a week. Also I was eating and sleeping training, I spent all my time either training & eating or reading and researching about training and eating! It wasn’t so much dedication as obsession!

Now there’s nothing wrong with being dedicated and doing all the right things BUT remember to have a life too. Its very hard psychologically to be so focused on one thing the whole time, your brain as well as your body needs a break and some different stimulus. Overtraining is not just a physical thing, your brain can get stale too. What helped me was to take some time off and spend time doing other things, anything not related to lifting.

You’re young, you can afford to ease up for a little while and find some other interests. I’m sure your desire will return like mine did if you just lighten up a little. Find some stuff you enjoy doing with friends, get interested in films, books, whatever and give your brain some new stimulus for a while.

Good luck,
Lift & Eat

as mentioned before, it helps if you find a lifting buddy that is just as into BB as you are. There is considerable synergy in training with someone.

Also, this may not work for everybody, but buy yourself a couple training DVDs of your favorite pros. I watch those training DVDs and get all the motivation I need for another week.

It takes a strong body AND a strong mind to be a bodybuilder, long term focus on a goal is paramount

Lift&Eat,

is that Arthur Saxon in your avatar?

STOP! feeling sorry for yourself. Self-pity is for the birds and even “a bird will drop frozen dead from a bowel without ever having felt sorry for itself”. There are thousands of disabled people (either have no limbs or cannot use them) WISH they had the opportunity you have to work out everyday.

The underlying factor in anyone’s plan of success is to never stop moving. Even if you have to tread water for awhile until you reach that epiphany that moves you foward, you must not sink or remain still or you will drown.

Try to motivate your motivation. Kick it in the bud. You’re motivated. You just think your not.

Just rememeber this …millions of dead people would love to switch places with you and have your problem. Now stop feeling sorry for yourself you SISSY and go back to doing what you do well. Stop thinking! Start moving! And when your movement slows down …by GOD speed it up. You have 2 arms and 2 legs dont you? Then what are complaining about?

People complain that they don’t have this or that, but it was there the entire time. Learn to use what you got. There are poeple that have real problems and they don’t have what you got …they’re called dead. They have no motivation.

Believe or not, you actually have motivation. A dead person would not have been able to write the thread you wrote …not without some motivation. You had enough motivation to cry out for help. Time to stop crying. Get busy livin’ or get bust dyin’ …the choice is yours. There are 125-150 Lb men that have been working out for years and have achieved no success but they keep trying. Remember its not the destination, its the ride for cryin out loud.

These people have more drive than you for a reason, they love the ride. You got to learn to love the ride, or get off of it. Cash in your chips. Try again in the next life.

Don’t let a little thing like motivation stand in your way of success, kick motivation in the nutz and move on without any kind of hesitation at all.

merlin

[quote]wsk wrote:
Lift&Eat,

is that Arthur Saxon in your avatar?[/quote]

No it’s Eugen Sandow, same time period though. If you like old time musclemen you should check out www.sandowmuseum.com.

L&E