Extreme HIT and the Specialization Programs

Dr. Darden,

With all the specialization programs you plan on sharing with us, how would you go about incorporating these programs into the Killing Fat program or the Extreme HIT program thru-out the year.

There is no easy answer for your questions. I’m working on such programming now.

1 Like

My initial reaction to the discussion of specialization routines was kind of “meh”. If one was an aspiring bodybuilder and had a lagging body part, then sure. But I’m past the point of training for looks, and am mainly trying to retain as much functional strength as I can into old age. So why bother with trying to add a bit of size to a specific body part? But then I stumbled on this article from 12 years ago:

If I am reading it correctly, this guy advocates rotating through a series of specialization routines as a strategy for producing better overall gains. Focus on one body part, while you put the others on maintenance, and then hope that whatever gains you got on the targeted body part are retained in maintenance, when you shift your focus somewhere else. Seems like that might be an interesting idea to explore, and I wonder if anyone else has any experience with it?

Leaving aside the question of effectiveness, one plus I see would be constant variety. One negative might be excessive complexity.

Regarding that T-nation article, I just cannot envision doing 50 sets a week for a given muscle.

1 Like

The IART (Brian Johnston’s former org) produced a book on Blitz training; you’d basically just hammer a muscle with more volume and demanding tactics for several weeks. I tried it multiple times and it never did much for me.