T Nation

Extreme HIT: 30-10-30 Book

Just ordered & read it & I am full of questions, mainly because it’s contrary to everything I’ve learned (mostly from you) over the past 30 years.

1. Is this the book we’ve been waiting for? I thought that was titled Backloading.

2. How do we measure appropriate inroading? Failure was always the measurement. If my 1RM max is 100 & I hit failure with 80, I know I’ve made at least a 20% inroad. Now, we’re not hitting failure & I assume the final negative should take the full 30 seconds, no? Or should that 2nd eccentric be a struggle to take 30 seconds?

3. We only increase weight when the movement becomes too easy? How do we determine easy? Previously, failure told me when I should increase resistance.

I’m definitely intrigued, but my head is spinning.

1. 30-10-30 is a form of backloading, but it’s not the bigger backloading book I was originally wanting to write. Unfortunately, I could not get NY publishers to buy into my book proposal.
  2. Your final 30-second negative should indeed take the full 30 seconds. If it doesn’t, lighten the resistance. Open your mind to not training to failure.
  3. Reread chapters 2, 3, and 4. Be patient and get involved on this forum. Your spinning head will soon smooth out.

Still very confused about when to increase the weight. Let’s say I get the 30/10/30. Next workout Increase the weight and only make 20 seconds in the final negative. Do I lower the weight again or stay with it till I get the 30??

In your case, I’d recommend using the same weights in 30-10-30 for three or more consecutive workouts. Make sure your form is absolutely precise. Then, add a little more resistance.

1 Like

== Scott==
Is this backloading to do with carbohydrates or something else? I’ve seen some interesting articles on carbohydrate backloading.

No. Backloading is another word for the negative phase of an exercise. Positive is the front load, and negative is the back load. But backloading has a lot of different meanings, so I dropped it from consideration.

Can we still expect the backloading book or has them been tabled for the time being?

Bought it, read it, going to implement it.
There will be questions. I wish there were a secure forum for verified purchasers

There will be no Backloading book. The NY editors and publishers say it won’t sell. Sorry.

Doc,

Assume on the second eccentric I’m trying to lower it in 30 seconds but it only takes 20 despite my best effort. Because I can no longer control the downward descent of the weight, that means I cannot lift that weight. And because the resistance is 70% of my 10RM, which is 80% of my 1RM, I know I have lowered my starting level of strength to less than 56% of my 1RM, equating to a 44% inroad. You’re saying the second eccentric should take the full 30 seconds. Conceivably, after that I could still lift the weight. How then do I know how much of an inroad I have made? What is the measurement for inroad? Previously, it was failure. Am I misunderstanding inroad as you’re using it?

As for posing, should that only be done once per day? Is there any benefit to doing the posing routine multiple times per day?

I think you are on the right track with your second 30-second rep and your inroading. You probably have more fast-twitch muscle fibers than average, so it will be very difficult to record 30 seconds. Keep doing what you are doing.

With the posing, sure you can do it more than once a day. Doing so will allow you better control over your major muscles – and should help your overall results.

I’m still amazed after a lifetime of promoting failure, you now suggest holding back 2 reps.

Sorry to hear that. I didn’t realize that was planned as a conventionally published book. I thought it was going to be digital.

As for sales potential: before the pandemic hit, I had noticed that the section for exercise books at my local Barnes and Noble had started to shrink considerably. I thought maybe it was just because the overall number of books being carried had also started to shrink. Now I’m wondering if there are other reasons. Maybe the websites and YouTube channels pushing instructional videos, tutorials, etc., have become so numerous that demand for conventional print books on the same subject has evaporated?

In the 1970s, we pushed moving quickly between the Nautilus exercises. Jones called this style “Metabolic Conditioning.” We built many highly conditioned athletes who excelled in football, wrestling, baseball, and sprinting. This style was gradually ignored during the 1980s – and I’m not sure why.

When I tested such a short-rest style with 30-10-30, I immediately saw the same types of things occurring with these young athletes that happened in the 1970s. More thought about inroading opened my eyes to the potential that I was seeing. Not going to failure soon emerged as a huge influence on keeping recovery ability at a not-depleted level.

Please try these new 30-10-30 guidelines. Not only give them a chance, but jump in with both feet. You are going to be surprised – I promise.

1 Like

I believe what you observed at your bookstore is mostly true. Exercise, fitness, and especially bodybuilding books are no longer a staple in bookstores. The internet supplies too much FREE materials on all these subjects.

1 Like

The idea of metabolic conditioning didn’t go away entirely. Rather, the idea was borrowed by others, and then modified and turned into something different.

Crossfit comes to mind, since they still call their workouts MetCon’s and the core idea is the same: work a lot of muscle groups in quick succession to impose a great deal of demand on the body’s various energy systems. Crossfit just substituted a lot of explosive lifts for controlled machine exercises, and intermingled those with sprints or various forms of intense cardio oriented exercise. It will still put you on the ground, but with more risk of injury, and is less effective for strength building.

Yes, I believe you are correct. Crossfit is interesting to watch, but you can almost see injuries occurring in plain sight.

1 Like

== Scott ==
The best part about 30 10 30 for me is that I don’t have to go to failure to work the muscle hard like a typical workout of the past and even when I do go to failure out of habit I find it’s a much easier workout to recover from. I’m finding I recover in one or two days from a workout but keep in mind that I’m not working my legs hard. Past knee injuries prevent that . I just do easy high repetition body weight squats etc.

man that’s a bummer, they say it won’t sell ( back loading book)
yet we’d all buy it…

Just bought this one though

==Scott==
I’m wondering if you mean this guy has more fast twitch fibers than usual so his concentric efforts will be stronger than usual thus harder to stretch the eccentric to 30 seconds?