Extreme Cramps

My son had a busy day, including speed camp in the morning, where they worked out legs and also did quite a bit of running, after lunch he had basketball camp for 2 hours, when he came home he had the most extreme cramps in his quads I’ve ever witnessed, lying on the floor screaming, thinking the muscles were about to tear. My question is, is this just due to overdoing it, or is something else possibly causing it. His diet is awesome, takes a multivitamin, and uses Surge post workout. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dehydration is pobably the cuplret. Make sure he’s intaking enough liquids, before, during, and after the camp. Also, start of with regular H2O then maybe add in a drink w/ elyctrolites (sp?) something like Gatorade or Surge. Have him contiune sipping on Surge or Gatorade during camp.

He may also be experince lack cf potassium. So, add a bananna or two in his diet.

In Health,

Silas C.

Make sure he is getting adequate hydration and electrolytes. Na/K are the biggest culprits,and Mag/Ca should also be considered.

Fluid recommendations
appx. 16 oz fluid 1.5-2 hours before activity.

6-8 oz every 15-20 min. during exercise.

Post exercise,Surge or similar product.

To keep his electrolytes up try this recipe: One liter of fluid (1/2 Gatorade, 1/2 water). Add 1/4 tsp salt (NaCl) and 1/8 tsp salt substitute (KCl)

Have him weigh himself before practice and immediately after on the same scale. He should consume an add’l 16 oz. fluid for every pound lost.

He should avoid any stimulatory products such as caffeine or ephedrine.

Make sure he cools down and stretched post-exercise.

Take care.