Extreme Couponing

I look around at the empty space I have to live in and reflect on how proud I am that I didn’t waste any money or effort buying junk to put in it.

Me and the clipper guy are like opposites.

My father in law likes to gloat about how smart he is that he can change his own oil. He was rattling on about how great it is after hearing that I don’t bother with it, and just pay the fifteen bucks, grab a coffee across the street, and drive away.

When he got done explaining all that he did and how good it felt, I asked him what his billing rate as an independently employed machinist was. It’s pretty high. Then I asked if the time he wasted not working at his billing rate was greater than the fifteen bucks I wasted.

We don’t talk much anymore.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I look around at the empty space I have to live in and reflect on how proud I am that I didn’t waste any money or effort buying junk to put in it.

Me and the clipper guy are like opposites.

My father in law likes to gloat about how smart he is that he can change his own oil. He was rattling on about how great it is after hearing that I don’t bother with it, and just pay the fifteen bucks, grab a coffee across the street, and drive away.

When he got done explaining all that he did and how good it felt, I asked him what his billing rate as an independently employed machinist was. It’s pretty high. Then I asked if the time he wasted not working at his billing rate was greater than the fifteen bucks I wasted.

We don’t talk much anymore.
[/quote]

This. I would rather get discounts on big ticket items that is going to make me money, than to clip coupons. I’ll let the old ladies deal with that. Although sometimes I’ll haggle the insurance or phone company.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
I would do this if I had a permanent residence, a big pantry, and a deep freeze.

You guys act like there is something wrong with saving money. [/quote]

I am all about saving money, that is why I buy chicken breast and protein powder in bulk.

But… What the hell are you going to do with 1,100 boxes of cereal, 300 toothbrushes, and 60 bottles of hand soap?

That is besides building the best fucking fort ever conceived.[/quote]

That’s a great idea actually.

It can be called Fort Chex, and we can flick hand soap off of the toothbrushes, which act as catapults.
[/quote]

The Alamo is for pussies.

for reference

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/video/extreme-couponing-saving-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-12491099

I think they are addicted to saving money in a very unhealthy way.

Nothing comes cheap.

Im not sure what the problem here is. Even if I were to only save half of what he did for a few hours of sitting in front of the tv every week clipping coupons, id be fine with that.

And it’s not like he ONLY bought toothrbushes, hand soap and cereal. He bought a massive amount of soda, canned foods, produce and meats. That shit right there was what made up the other half of his $5,000 bill (besides the cereal).

it also does not take much time. My GF, clips coupons sunday morning and writes a list while eating breakfast / drinking coffee… takes less then 1 hour and we save over 100 dollars a week… i dont know what most of you do for a living but my time sadly is not worth 100 dollars an hour so its a net gain…

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
it also does not take much time. My GF, clips coupons sunday morning and writes a list while eating breakfast / drinking coffee… takes less then 1 hour and we save over 100 dollars a week… i dont know what most of you do for a living but my time sadly is not worth 100 dollars an hour so its a net gain…[/quote]

Serially. This sounds like a pretty useful thing to do if you’ve got an hour or two a weekend to spare.

Some of these people are a little nutty with it (spending up to 70hrs a week??), but if they’d rather do that than watch TV or browse T-Nation (oh, I forgot, people only come here while at work) then more power to them. I’m pretty lazy so I don’t bother with it, but I might if I found it could save me $50+ a week on food.

As far as what they need to do with a lot of that shit… does it really need to be stated that hand soap, toothbrushes and various canned goods don’t go bad for a very, very long time (at all)? If you buy all that shit with a practical, long-term plan to use it then that’s great. If you’re buying it simply for the rush of “beating” the store and then stockpiling it as trophies, then you might be taking it a little too seriously. But then, if it doesn’t negatively affect your life, who are we to judge?