T Nation

Extreme Arch Benching

Adam Archuleta is strong, stronger than you … raw.

Humble pie is good if you eat it proudly.

To those who are annoyed with Limbic:
Simply ignore him. He is nobody special nor is he particularly relevant to anything. He’s just a dummy with an opinion…surely, not the only one.

It will make these threads nicer.

If someone could be quoted as saying on this website,
“Archuleta has no success at lifting weights …”,
give us some opinions on such a statement?

(Adam Archuleta: 510 bench raw, squats in the high 600’s, and all that while weighing 225 (now) and running a 4.4. His vertical leap is 38 inches.)

bangs;
JackAss in CT’s bands article issued you and your friends a challenge. He said:
“No one under 200lbs and no one who can’t squat 3x thier bodyweight should be allowed to write on this site.
Your all worthless and weak!”

I assume he was referring to raw, so what’s your huddle’s response.

I find it interesting you types don’t feel a need to respond to such a slap.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
bangs;
“No one under 200lbs and no one who can’t squat 3x thier bodyweight should be allowed to write on this site.

I find it interesting you types don’t feel a need to respond to such a slap.[/quote]

Haha. I agree with him.

This exercise is only slightly crazier than touching chest with cambered bench bar.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
This exercise is only slightly crazier than touching chest with cambered bench bar.[/quote]

Actually, the people I know don’t touch their chest with a cambered bar. Most just use a two-inch board and bring the bar down to that. Thereby offsetting two of the cambered inches(on a four-inch camber). From what I understand this is fairly common practice in powerlifting communities.

Four inches is a long way to go beyond the chest in the bench press and I can’t imagine very many people having the shoulders that can handle that. Of course there may be bars out there with lass than four inches in the camber.

[quote]sensless wrote:
I competed in my first powerlifting meet in October, Hudson Natural Open (USAPL Sanctioned meet).
Regards,

John Jr.

Rules won’t help you overcome weakness.[/quote]

Was that the Hudson Open last october in Wisconsin?

[quote]Limbic wrote:
If someone could be quoted as saying on this website,
“Archuleta has no success at lifting weights …”,
give us some opinions on such a statement?

(Adam Archuleta: 510 bench raw, squats in the high 600’s, and all that while weighing 225 (now) and running a 4.4. His vertical leap is 38 inches.)

[/quote]

Not to mention being a beast of a safety, but we did the Archuletta argument before, a few weeks ago. He’s incredibley strong compared to other football players and athletes, yet there are numerous people who weigh in the 220’s that put up those STRENGTH numbers (will nothing to be said of his speed and vertical jump). This was the argument big martin and I had, and you have to understand what he was trying to say. He wasn’t saying that Archuletta doesn’t lift well, just that there are other in his weight class that are stronger and that his success comes on the football field whereas he has no success lifting weights (i.e. pl meets). big martin is a good guy, i just think you need to read a little more into what he says in order to understand him, it took me a little while too.

I understood big martin the first time I read him and, believe it or not, I also think he’s a good guy. He can be quite understanding. I just like to razz the gear: part of the privilege of wearing it is to field the jibes of characters like me.

Guess what? big martin didn’t say that about Archuleta: read the thread again. big martin has the respect to not say that, in any context.
Only Detective Jack Kempo wannabe’s can generate that type of statement.

You’ve got to admit, some of the things I’ve said about the gear is funny, and sarcasm was the intent. Lighten up, take it like a man.

Now, try to figure out why some are implying I have a low self-image? Where is that coming from? I don’t think it’s possible to express yourself as well as I do and have a low self-image.

I respect raw numbers, and I stay with the 2X bodyweight or better as incredibly strong, benchwise.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
I just like to razz the gear: part of the privilege of wearing it is to field the jibes of characters like me.[/quote]

No. People that wear it do so to compete. I can readily assure you that your “jibes” mean absolutely nothing to those that actually compete. And my only concern is that your propaganda might affect people here.

Well, yes, the things you said were funny - about ten years ago or whenever effective gear started showing up. Any bench pressing redneck who has never seen a bench shirt would make the same “jibes” as you when witnessing a shirted competition. Trust me; I’ve heard it with my own ears.

And if sarcasm is the only intent, then why be sarcastic all the time? Your negative “sarcasm” is all you contribute to threads like these. It gets quite old to those of us that have any clue as to what strength and powerlifting are about.

The constant belittling of others’ accomplishments is a classical sign of one needing to feel better about themselves. You come across like a guy who’s never benched 300lbs and is upset at the 900lb shirted benchers. Again, that is how you come across.

Okay, what does the ability to express yourself well have to do with your self-image. There are a lot of very articulate people out there with horrible self-images. Intellect and articulation really have no significant correlation to a lack of complete mental health.

Interesting, considering that it is significantly harder for a larger person to do this. Bodyweight coefficients will always benefit the smaller person. But I’m sure the 500lb raw benchers that weigh 300lbs will be heart broken to know of your lack of respect for them.

Now that I have pointed out to others how irrelevant your position is on these matters, I will take bangs’ advice and ignore you. I would suggest you spend more time in the gym and less posting this kind of stuff on the internet so that one day you can respect yourself.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
Adam Archuleta is strong, stronger than you … raw.

Humble pie is good if you eat it proudly.[/quote]

Scott and Big Martin are stronger than you…raw.

mmmmmm would you like another bite of your shit sandwich?

I said:
“I respect raw numbers, and I stay with the 2X bodyweight or better as incredibly strong, benchwise.”
RickJames said:
“But I’m sure the 500lb raw benchers that weigh 300lbs will be heart broken to know of your lack of respect for them.”
If I were to credit you and your huddle, I would start to believe they may actually be beginning their heart-break. As that is only based on carrying your assertion that I have NO respect for them, I won’t credit you.

RickJames said:
“Okay, what does the ability to express yourself well have to do with your self-image.”
Well, it actually has a lot to do with it. Let’s look at your self-image for a sec., you obviously consider yourself as the articulate spokesperson for a whole flock of geese. I don’t consider so. The articulation you express is too frequently half-finished, like above where again pretend I have NO respect for less than 2X bodyweight benchers, and below where you imply that your flock dispelled all possible arguments about shirted-bench validity 10 years ago. And that’s why the sarcasm: the argument’s as new tomorrow as it was 10 years ago because the industry is coddling your imaginations.

“Well, yes, the things you said were funny - about ten years ago or whenever effective gear started showing up.”
And hey, I respect you for admitting for you the things I’ve said were at one time funny for you.
Task for you is determine when such seriousness arose in your life, and why you did not head it off before fascism came to dominate.

The Emperor’s New Clothes look familiar.

RickJames: where did you come up with your username. Perhaps there is the revelation.

Favre24:
Truly, but find where I belittled either individual’s raw bench. You won’t find it. So whose shit sandwich is it? Yours.

You guys may want to start considering that you’re underweight for this class.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
bangs;

I find it interesting you types don’t feel a need to respond to such a slap.[/quote]

Hey limbic, perhaps you forgot about this post you made in the same thread:

"The best unstable environment effect I’ve seen is dips or pullups on the Power Rings.

Bands are a concept that should have worked, but leave the lifter annoyed at the primitivity of the technology.

For that I offer no apologies: Reason is merciless when money is involved. If anybody wants to buy two pairs of light bands in perfect condition, say so?"

The reason nobody has their underwear in a bunch about this is because, first of all, most of us are familar with JackAss, where he is from, and his views on the sport of PL.

Secondly, perhaps everyone but you recognizes that YOU WERE ONE OF THE PEOPLE HE WAS REFERRING TO.

Additionally, bangs has been around a while and earned his stripes. He went through quite a journey on this site learning all he could to be a better lifter, same with snippdawg.

They have far more credibility here than you ever will given your current path. So your shitty little attacks on them do not go unnoticed, as well.

SuperFreak:
I think I’ve figured out what you’re doing. You truly have so little regard for my perspective that you’re using me as an excuse not to buy that new Inzer Phenom shirt you keep eye-balling.

I say, Hit-it, baby, you’re on! You’re freakin’.

For all of you using bench shirts, I’d like some info and tips since I’m getting my first bench shirt in a couple of months. ANYTHING you can offer would be a great help. Send a PM, that’s about the best way of assuring I’ll be able to get your messages. By the way, recommendations on fabrics and their responses, shirt types, etc, whatever else you think makes it work well, or better would help me out I’m sure. Thanks in advance. And, any of you that are powerlifters, anyone here lifting in Texas?

apwsearch:
And from the posts of mine after the one you quoted you’ll note that I indicate that perhaps it is time to reconsider my judgement of the bands and try some new techniques.

So what are you, apwsearch, trying to tell me: That you don’t follow threads closely enough to make sense with anyone, including yourself? You ARE absurd.

As for JackAss, I bet you belong in that group of his description that shouldn’t be posting. Raw, of course.
And, of course, my act of quoting him would indicate to anyone with a brain that, yes, he was referring to me, too, and that it doesn’t bother me because his declaration is too absolute. My opinion is that this website is intended to help people develop true strength, not hide behind their squat suit. Something that takes 15-20 minutes to get into, and it’s not a prop.
I’ve seen a JackAss poster on the elitefts board.

Notice all you feel to, bud. I’ve noticed a remarkable similarity in post style amongst some of you “antagonists”, almost as if it were one person using two or more usernames. Notice that. Or you huddle, with many the PM’s …

[quote]Limbic wrote:
I said:
“I respect raw numbers, and I stay with the 2X bodyweight or better as incredibly strong, benchwise.”
RickJames said:
“But I’m sure the 500lb raw benchers that weigh 300lbs will be heart broken to know of your lack of respect for them.”
If I were to credit you and your huddle, I would start to believe they may actually be beginning their heart-break. As that is only based on carrying your assertion that I have NO respect for them, I won’t credit you.[/quote]

First off, there is no “flock”. I am not the spokesman for powerlifters. I am just a person sharing my opinion. If you can’t separate that from the fact that I have used bench shirts before, then there is not point going on here. I may as well go back to the adults’ table and ignore you like I said I would. But you are quite a noisy child.

Next, where did I say that you had NO respect for the guys in question? I just said you had a lack of respect. If I got to pay for my meal at a restaurant and don’t have enough cash to pay for the meal, I “lack” the funds for the meal, but I don’t have zero funds. Is that too hard to comprehend? My point was that you don’t have enough respect for others’ accomplishments. Whether you respect them 80% or 0% is of no consequence, so thanks for wasting more bandwidth on that matter.

I obviously consider myself the spokesman? Please. I am just responding to your drivel. Nothing more. Your example of the “NO respect” was summarily dismissed earlier in this post. Imaginations? What imaginations do I have? I know what I can do in a shirt. I know what I can do raw. I know what I can do at a meet. You might know one of those three for yourself, so don’t talk to me for a second about “imaginations”. You ascribe so many thoughts to me that aren’t there. I’m sorry if it hurts you that all powerlifters can’t be categorized together. Here’s a Kleenex.

[quote]“Well, yes, the things you said were funny - about ten years ago or whenever effective gear started showing up.”
And hey, I respect you for admitting for you the things I’ve said were at one time funny for you.
Task for you is determine when such seriousness arose in your life, and why you did not head it off before fascism came to dominate.[/quote]

A lot of things are funny for me. When I go to the gym, over half my time is spent laughing, because you know what? We don’t take ourselves seriously. Surprise! And if responding to your completely uninformed, logically deficient posts is “fascism”, then sign me up. That is all I’m doing. Sorry.

Again, can we have your meet numbers and perhaps a picture of you to back up the fact that you have ever stepped foot in a gym? It’s funny, but that simple request shut you up last time. Perhaps we will be fortunate enough for it to work this time.

[quote]

Was that the Hudson Open last october in Wisconsin?[/quote]

Yes it was. I believe it was on October 23rd. Results can be found at http://wi-usapl.com/NewFiles/Hudsun%20Open%20Results%202004%20.html

I finished in last place in my class, but I hit my target total of 1300. I have only been training for powerlifting since June, so I’m not dissatisfied with the result. I’m hoping to eventually qualify for nationals without using any gear. If I can be competitive on a national level then I may reconsider my choice to use gear at that time, until then I will continue to squat in my jeans and bench in a button-up work shirt.

Regards,

John Jr.

An aside to the typers involved in the flaming war:

Please proof read and correct your posts. The tremendous amount of grammatical failure in the posts has been making it difficult to follow the specious reasoning being presented. The interjection of humor is appreciated but quite sparse. Simply stating that you are being funny isn’t actually very funny.

Sorry. I forget we have an edit function here now. If there is anything that I have posted that is unclear, please let me know and I will do my best to clarify it for you.

Typically I am too lazy to go back and check for errors when I post, and as I said above, I hardly ever go back and use the edit feature.