T Nation

Extra Weight or None?

hey fellas, on one of my upper body days, i do pullups/chin ups then run over and do dips. i do 5 sets of that. now for gaining size, would it be better to do 10 reps with no extra weight, or do 5 reps with extra weight?

You should try the search function regarding mass and various set/rep combinations but it has always been my experience that more weight = more mass. Try adding the weight and doing less reps with more sets.

As a generalization:

1-5 reps = strength gains
6-12 reps = mass gains
12+ reps = endurance gains

5-8 reps = best compromise of strength and mass gains.

If you’re looking to add mass specifically, I would opt for the 8-10 rep range with a little extra weight added so you go to failure on the last reps of the last sets.

alright thanx guys, thats kinda what i thought but i just wanted some additional input

Mix it up they are Both effective.

Do the heavy sets, rest a couple days, and then rep out.

[quote]skimmy_jimmy wrote:
hey fellas, on one of my upper body days, i do pullups/chin ups then run over and do dips. i do 5 sets of that. now for gaining size, would it be better to do 10 reps with no extra weight, or do 5 reps with extra weight?[/quote]

I have been doing the 10 x 3 for fat loss protocol applied to pullups and handstand pushups. I have worked up to 45lbs with the pullups and 20lbs with the handstand pushups. My back and arms have never been bigger or fuller. For context, I do tabatas daily for cardio, pavels 3-5 (5 x 5)with one arms and pistols on alternate days, and eat slightly above maintainence calories.

Definately go heavy and above 25 total reps for the best mix of strength and size.

[quote]uberswank wrote:
skimmy_jimmy wrote:
hey fellas, on one of my upper body days, i do pullups/chin ups then run over and do dips. i do 5 sets of that. now for gaining size, would it be better to do 10 reps with no extra weight, or do 5 reps with extra weight?

I have been doing the 10 x 3 for fat loss protocol applied to pullups and handstand pushups. I have worked up to 45lbs with the pullups and 20lbs with the handstand pushups. My back and arms have never been bigger or fuller. For context, I do tabatas daily for cardio, pavels 3-5 (5 x 5)with one arms and pistols on alternate days, and eat slightly above maintainence calories.

Definately go heavy and above 25 total reps for the best mix of strength and size.[/quote]

how much do you weigh? right now i weigh about 210, and i can only do about 10 pullups with 20lbs on me :S

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
As a generalization:

1-5 reps = strength gains
6-12 reps = mass gains
12+ reps = endurance gains

5-8 reps = best compromise of strength and mass gains.

If you’re looking to add mass specifically, I would opt for the 8-10 rep range with a little extra weight added so you go to failure on the last reps of the last sets.[/quote]

Im asking a serious question here but doesnt mass come with strength? so then wouldnt the 1-5 reps and the 6-12 reps be the same thing? I could be wrong but just wondering.

NJ,

Maximal force/power production has a much stronger neural component involved in it compared to strength endurance. Lifting in the 1-5 rep range, especially in the 1-3 rep range will have as much or more of an effect on the efficiency of your nervous system than the size of your muscles.

I weigh 195. Note that it is 10 sets of 3 reps, not 3 sets of 10.

[quote]uberswank wrote:
I weigh 195. Note that it is 10 sets of 3 reps, not 3 sets of 10.[/quote]

oh haha ok much better

[quote]skimmy_jimmy wrote:
hey fellas, on one of my upper body days, i do pullups/chin ups then run over and do dips. i do 5 sets of that. now for gaining size, would it be better to do 10 reps with no extra weight, or do 5 reps with extra weight?[/quote]

Chad Waterbury has like a bazilion articles on this very topic, you know?

Anyway, do sets of 10 for a while (3-4 weeks) then add weight and do 5x5 for a while then add some more and do 10x3.