T Nation

Extra Virgin vs. Virgin Olive Oil

Hey guys -
I have been eating virgin olive oil every night at bedtime (1 tbsp). I never minded the tastes. Very mild and actually have gotten to like it.

Recently, I switched to extra virging olive oil. I almost choked when I had my first taste. There was a huge difference from virgin to extra virgin. It made me gag.

Two questions:
Anyone else experience this? Is there really that much of a difference in taste or did I get a bad bottle of extra virgin?

Secondly, why extra virgin vs virgin?

Thanks

I mix a tbsp of extra virgin into my protein shake at night. I can’t taste it at all.

Really? I always preferred the tast of the extra virgin oil. The difference is that extra virgin is from the first pressing of the olive, done with a cold press. The virgin oil is extracted from a later press using heat. The heat reduces the antioxidant content, slightly raises the acidity and changes the taste. The extra virgin is the more beneficial healthwise, the taste is certainly more of an individual matter. The “virgin” designation on both indicates that they haven’t had any chemical processing.

[quote]drewmofpo wrote:
Hey guys -
I have been eating virgin olive oil every night at bedtime (1 tbsp). I never minded the tastes. Very mild and actually have gotten to like it.

Recently, I switched to extra virging olive oil. I almost choked when I had my first taste. There was a huge difference from virgin to extra virgin. It made me gag.

Two questions:
Anyone else experience this? Is there really that much of a difference in taste or did I get a bad bottle of extra virgin?

Secondly, why extra virgin vs virgin?

Thanks[/quote]

Extra virgin is the oil that comes from the first press of the olives, therefore it will be more dense than non-extra virgin.

ex virgin has the most “flavor”

go for “light tasting olive oil” if you want minimum taste. tastes exactly like nothing.

the cheaper the olive oil the less taste it will have. The benefits of cheap olive oil are in question though. but as a mono fat source it’s great.

-chris

Thanks for the responses…

This stuff was gross…

Can it “go bad”? Or do I just have to get used to the new taste?

I have no problem throwing out this bottle if its bad…

You know, the more they get around, the less you want 'em.

I’m in Italy and there must be about 25 choices of “extra virgin” on any grocery store’s shelves. They range from light tasting to outright nasty. Well, by nasty I mean some have a flavor that is way too strong for me and give me the impression of being spoiled. My wife loves the nasty ones. :slight_smile:

Sounds like you picked up a bottle of the one of the stronger tasting ones. Look for something labeled mild or delicate and if your tastes are similiar to mine, you won’t have any problem with it.

[quote]drewmofpo wrote:

[/quote]

Being a foodstuff I’m sure its possible that the olive oil could ‘go bad’, however I’ve never experienced this myself. At this time of year however, the cold weather can make the olive oil go cloudy. This is completely normal.

As far as taste is concerned, try holding some water in the back of your throat then pouring the oil on top. This way the oil won’t touch the sides of your mouth so much and can be swallowed down with ease.

Hope this helps.

I tried it with my MD last night…went down easily, but damn, my stomach wasn’t happy! I had olive oil burps like what.

[quote]drewmofpo wrote:
Thanks for the responses…

This stuff was gross…

I have no problem throwing out this bottle if its bad…
[/quote]

When they press olives to get the oil out, the first round of pressing creates the ‘extra virgin.’ The second round produces ‘virgin’ and so on… Every round has less flavor. Nutritionally there isn’t much difference. Your oil almost certainly isn’t bad. Oils go rancid and when they do the smell is unmistakably disgusting. It’s enough to make you gag.

Mix it with some water and strawberry protein powder - tastes surprisingly good.

Yeah, you will know when it goes rancid. But to avoid micro breakdown of the oil it is nice to keep it out of light and undue heat. I won get into the dissemination of free radicals but just try and keep it cool and dark.

Cloudyness is common when it cools down but isnt a problem. I think it looks cool when you shake it up.

-chris