Extra Dynamic Effort?

For football in the off season, I have to train by their program which for now is just a 1x5 and 2x3 (of course with warm-up sets). These turn into a ME days. I was wondering if I could, on Saturdays (since we workout Monday-Thursday), include my own DE day on the big moves:

Squat
Bench (since I usually do wide-grip, should I do some close grip bench?)
Deadlift
Cleans
Push Press
Barbell Rows (should I include these or just leave them out for now?)

Tell what you guys think. I have heard good things about doing DE days, but since my school isnt doing that for now, should I do this at the ends of the week?

imo, just do 3 movements.

• jump squat: follow the guidelines in this article they have a nice lil progression at the bottom of the article.
    ( Benefits and Application of Jump Squats )

• Push Jerk: benefits of which are severely understated imo while the risks are severely overstated. if you don’t have the range of motion for this though then speed bench. Don’t risk injury and spend time learning something unnecessary. I like doing these for doubles

• Speed Pull: if you have accomodating resistance (bands chains) all the better. If you can do it from an elevated surface even mo’ better. Basically a deadlift with 50-60% weight and pull as fast and hard as you can contract everything IMMEDIATELY. To vary this up i would do snatch pulls and clean pulls as well. I wouldn’t do the power/full clean unless you DONT do that in your regular training (mon-thur) in which case then go for the power clean or full cleans if you can do them right. I like doing these for singles

optional movements to rotate in when you’re bored or feel they bring up a weak link:

• Speed pullups: pullup hard & fast release at the end, if you’re fast enough to get a clap in, then do it. I like doing these for doubles and triples

• speed bench i would put this before jump squats, but it depends how much you’re benching already within the week. and I would only speed bench w/ accomodating resistance (bands or chains) otherwise may not be benefitial for you. This one’s really up in the air, i just wouldn’t do it as you probably bench a lot already. What i PROBABLY would do instead are ballistic bench in the smith machine (google or search here for that) but i wouldn’t do a ton of sets its pretty stressful on the joints. westside has a ton of articles on speed benching…

I’m just giving you advice on what you asked about but for a better answer id need to know what you’re doing mon-thu. Because you may be better off ditching the DE work. If you’re doing it RIGHT its verrrrrrry stressful. Sometimes more wear and tear than an ME day. so, it might be more beneficial to do GPP and extra work to bring up weaknesses and fix holes in your current program.

for instance an over emphasis on benching it might be good to do bent rows supersetted with facepulls then do some sled pulls for your hammies or something similar.

So if you REALLY want an extra day, be sure that Dynamic work is TRULY what you need not just something you want to fuck around with.

**a note on the olympic lifts, i know it goes against conventional standards, but do them with 75-85% weight. Don’t max out on them. Imo, you want to focus on bar speed. thats the most important and why like just straight up pulls w/o the catch/recieve portion. rip that shit to the ceiling.

Why are you fucking with the Westside Template?

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Why are you fucking with the Westside Template?[/quote]

Do you see the irony in what you just said?

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

Do you see the irony in what you just said?[/quote]

Haha I do!!

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

Enlighten me.

Pemdas wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

Enlighten me. [/quote]

It’s a “template”. That is to say it’s not set in stone and is to be used a starting point and configured for a persons specific needs.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
For football in the off season, I have to train by their program which for now is just a 1x5 and 2x3 (of course with warm-up sets). These turn into a ME days. I was wondering if I could, on Saturdays (since we workout Monday-Thursday), include my own DE day on the big moves:

Squat
Deadlift
Cleans
Push Press

Tell what you guys think. I have heard good things about doing DE days, but since my school isnt doing that for now, should I do this at the ends of the week?[/quote]

I don’t do a DE day anymore because it was beating up my elbows.

Just try it and see if it works for you.

Also, listen to your body too.

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

[quote]NASAKYCHAIRMAN wrote:
ukrainian wrote:

Squat
Deadlift
Cleans
Push Press

Tell what you guys think. I have heard good things about doing DE days, but since my school isnt doing that for now, should I do this at the ends of the week?

I don’t do a DE day anymore because it was beating up my elbows.

Just try it and see if it works for you.

Also, listen to your body too.

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL

[/quote]

What do you do instead, I’m a featherweight benching featherweight and it really beats the crap out of my elbows. I’ve thought about doing RE as per joe defrancoes WSFSB.

Why are you fucking with the Westside Template?[/quote]

It doesn’t sound like he’s using the template, he’s wondering if he’ll get benefits from doing an extra day of DE work on top of the program his coach makes him do, even on the template at EliteFTS, it says to change it around to make it work for you.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

i seriously almost fell out of my chair when i read it lol

Pemdas wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

Enlighten me. [/quote]

The beauty of westside is that it is designed to be modified. There is absolutely no part of it that is set in stone and almost every lifter that uses it is doing something different.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
imo, just do 3 movements.

• jump squat: follow the guidelines in this article they have a nice lil progression at the bottom of the article.
    ( Benefits and Application of Jump Squats )

• Push Jerk: benefits of which are severely understated imo while the risks are severely overstated. if you don’t have the range of motion for this though then speed bench. Don’t risk injury and spend time learning something unnecessary. I like doing these for doubles

• Speed Pull: if you have accomodating resistance (bands chains) all the better. If you can do it from an elevated surface even mo’ better. Basically a deadlift with 50-60% weight and pull as fast and hard as you can contract everything IMMEDIATELY. To vary this up i would do snatch pulls and clean pulls as well. I wouldn’t do the power/full clean unless you DONT do that in your regular training (mon-thur) in which case then go for the power clean or full cleans if you can do them right. I like doing these for singles

optional movements to rotate in when you’re bored or feel they bring up a weak link:

• Speed pullups: pullup hard & fast release at the end, if you’re fast enough to get a clap in, then do it. I like doing these for doubles and triples

• speed bench i would put this before jump squats, but it depends how much you’re benching already within the week. and I would only speed bench w/ accomodating resistance (bands or chains) otherwise may not be benefitial for you. This one’s really up in the air, i just wouldn’t do it as you probably bench a lot already. What i PROBABLY would do instead are ballistic bench in the smith machine (google or search here for that) but i wouldn’t do a ton of sets its pretty stressful on the joints. westside has a ton of articles on speed benching…

I’m just giving you advice on what you asked about but for a better answer id need to know what you’re doing mon-thu. Because you may be better off ditching the DE work. If you’re doing it RIGHT its verrrrrrry stressful. Sometimes more wear and tear than an ME day. so, it might be more beneficial to do GPP and extra work to bring up weaknesses and fix holes in your current program.

for instance an over emphasis on benching it might be good to do bent rows supersetted with facepulls then do some sled pulls for your hammies or something similar.

So if you REALLY want an extra day, be sure that Dynamic work is TRULY what you need not just something you want to fuck around with.

**a note on the olympic lifts, i know it goes against conventional standards, but do them with 75-85% weight. Don’t max out on them. Imo, you want to focus on bar speed. thats the most important and why like just straight up pulls w/o the catch/recieve portion. rip that shit to the ceiling.[/quote]

Thanks. I will do some more research about this before I do start. This was just something that I wanted to know to see if it could help.