Explosive Work and Staying Younger

CT I know you mentioned in the past that you feel explosive work is the key to staying more youthful. I was wondering if you further explain that?

[quote]Jimjamin wrote:
CT I know you mentioned in the past that you feel explosive work is the key to staying more youthful. I was wondering if you further explain that?[/quote]

Yes, it is mostly from emperical experience. Those who stay with explosive and heavy work look, feel and function younger than other people their age. I mentionned several examples of that.

As for the reason why? Well, I believe in the “use it or lose it” phenomenon. And it just so happens that explosiveness and speed is the first thing that goes away with age (if it is not specifically trained) which leads me to believe that maintaining explosiveness make a huge difference in the way to body looks and feels with age. I strongly believe (and so does Art DeVany, a top guy on this specific issue) that the body is programmed to be explosive and when that capacity degrades it tells the body that the end is near and degradation starts.

We’ve all seen farmer’s or physical workers working hard until they are in their 70s… they are healthy and strong. And as soon as they retire they start to degrade and often die soon after.

I also believe (and research by Kraemer tend to point in that direction) that heavy and explosive lifting increases testosterone levels, which declines with age… so heavy and explosive work might help prevent that decrease.

Awesome thanks CT!! It was just something I’ve been thinking about lately since I’m gonna be 35 this year. I’d like to do more sprinting and I think your style of lifting has me covered there.

Would sprints be OK to do on two of my off days? For example Wed is my off day so yesterday I did a 15 min neural charge workout then went to the track and did a warm up with 8 sprints between 50-100 meters.

[quote]Jimjamin wrote:
Would sprints be OK to do on two of my off days? For example Wed is my off day so yesterday I did a 15 min neural charge workout then went to the track and did a warm up with 8 sprints between 50-100 meters.[/quote]

Here’s something I wrote in another thread:

I think it is possible to do sprint sessions once or twice a week (several football players have done this and gained very well). I don’t like doing that on consecutive days… so something like 3 days ‘ON’ / sprint / 2 days ‘ON’ / sprint would be better.