Explosive Variations for Main Training Lifts

I got the idea for this after reading some random stuff by Jamie Lewis. From what I gathered most of his squat work is done through heavy jump squats. By heavy I mean heavy, for instance he has a video of him doing a jump squat single with 505.
He also has mentioned doing power cleans instead of deadlifts in training.

My idea for the training cycle was to have the explosive variation then the second lift will be the competitive lift.

Something like:

Jump Squat- work up to a 1-3 rep near max/max, then follow it up with back down sets.

Squats- 80-85% 1rm for sets of 3-5 reps for 3-5 sets.

Then whatever accessory work is for that day.

For Deadlifts I was thinking I could use the high pull, probably going to go with a snatch grip.
For Bench Press I was not really sure what could be used for this because I do not have access to a smith machine to do bench press throws on, but then I realized weighted plyo pushups could work for this. These are to be done heavy enough so that the hands barely come fully off the ground.

The split would be something like:

M Jump Squats-Squats-legs-abs
T Weighted Plyo Pushups-Bench Press-Shoulder, Chest and Triceps work
W Snatch Grip High Pulls-Back and biceps-Glutes-abs
T Jump Squats-Squats-legs-abs
F Weighted Plyo Pushups-Bench Press-Shoulder, Chest and Triceps work
S Snatch Grip High Pulls-Deadlifts-Back and biceps-Glutes-abs
S Rest day

Alternatively if made into an 8 day split, Wednesday would also have deadlifts like Friday, Thursday would be a rest day, the second 3 days would get bumped up a day, and the next Monday would be a rest day. This really depends on recovery ability.

I will probably not get to trying this until January or February, so I will be trying to fine tune it up until that point. Any input will be appreciated.

That’s a whole lot of plyometrics, I think it’s too extreme.

Why do so much speed/explosive work?

The way I see it its accessory work that should be done only when your lifts are getting slow.

Albeit your lifts should always be fast, but what you’re doing is specifically meant to increase speed and explosiveness where it’s lagging.

I think it’s way too much focus on explosiveness. Instead maybe aim to make your main lifts fast and explosive all the time and throw in the necessary assistance speed work where it’s needed. It’ll be a way more efficient use of your time IMO

What are your best lifts at this time.

I think Verkoshansky tried heavy jump squats as a training tool, but abandoned them because the injury incident was too high. He switched his athletes to depth jumps with better results.

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:
That’s a whole lot of plyometrics, I think it’s too extreme. [/quote]

[quote]Haldor wrote:
Why do so much speed/explosive work?

The way I see it its accessory work that should be done only when your lifts are getting slow.

Albeit your lifts should always be fast, but what you’re doing is specifically meant to increase speed and explosiveness where it’s lagging.

I think it’s way too much focus on explosiveness. Instead maybe aim to make your main lifts fast and explosive all the time and throw in the necessary assistance speed work where it’s needed. It’ll be a way more efficient use of your time IMO[/quote]

I think it would be ineffective if for the explosive exercises I was focusing on height or purely speed, but I will be trying to go as heavy as possible while still leaving the ground on the pushup and squat.

[quote]Reed wrote:
What are your best lifts at this time.[/quote]

425/300/475. Finally getting over a problem in my right glute that has been hindering my squats, so that is part of the reason I am not jumping into it right now.
Also I realize I could still gain a lot of strength from normal programming I just thought the idea would be fun to try.

Never thought I’d say this but I agree with Haldor.

I think, from a strictly powerlifting perspective, you’ll see much more carryover by making your lifts as fast as possible. I’ve been treating my warm up sets as speed work while still having my top, heavy sets and have seen great progress recently, both in the speed of my lifts and weight lifted. But then again I have a lot to learn so maybe I’m wrong.

[quote]david s wrote:
I think Verkoshansky tried heavy jump squats as a training tool, but abandoned them because the injury incident was too high. He switched his athletes to depth jumps with better results.[/quote]

Yeah, I am definitely going to take it slow with them, but I gave them a try a few days ago with only 95 and they felt pretty awesome.
Depth jumps look awesome too, but the lack of loading would not really work.

[quote]tylerkeen42 wrote:
Never thought I’d say this but I agree with Haldor.

I think, from a strictly powerlifting perspective, you’ll see much more carryover by making your lifts as fast as possible. I’ve been treating my warm up sets as speed work while still having my top, heavy sets and have seen great progress recently, both in the speed of my lifts and weight lifted. But then again I have a lot to learn so maybe I’m wrong.[/quote]
Yeah, the intent should always to be to make the lift as fast as possible, even if as fast as possible is slow. I made that change a few months ago and have seen huge benefits.
The idea behind both is to use the most type II muscle fibers as possible.

[quote]tylerkeen42 wrote:
Never thought I’d say this but I agree with Haldor. quote]

What do you mean? I’m like a powerlifting Encarta 95.