Explosive Strength?

Currently im 6’2 157lbs (Im built like a french fry)

Anyway stats

Bench - 155 sets of 3 reps usually

Deadlift - 210

Anyway

I need explosive strength would this routine work?

(Mix these all up on dif. days of course)

Clap pushups 3x 10
Medicine ball slam 5x 15
Plyo Bench 135 - 5x 7
Rope Climbing 4x
Rope pullups 3x 8
Clap Pullups 3x 5

Not sure what this is called
Jump off bench then jump as high as I can as soon as i hit the ground: 5x 10

Dumbell throws 40lbs 5x 8

Core

Plank 2x 1:30 (Min/Sec)
Situps each side and forward
need more help on this one

This is for wrestling btw so I don’t want to jump weight classes

Currently I eat like shit trying to clean that up.

Also

Should I try out Surge?

You need some BIG heavy moves and get stronger bro Deads, squats, bench OH press. You cant be explosive with piss poor limit strength.

A DL may look slow or a heavy squat may look slow but your trying to move that load damn fast. If you an move a heavy load fairly quickly explosively it will make you Faster and stronger

Sure the explosive moves you list are great but I just feel its not your speed but lack of strenght holding you back. Might consider a bit of weight gain as well

Phill

I’d second Phil’s advice.

Power is the ability to generate force quickly. However, if you can’t generate much force, then you’ll never be very powerful.

Work on your maximal strength as your first priority, then having built a good base of that, the speed/power will come rather easily. Trying to do things the other way around is going to take much longer and you may never reach the same level.

Also, besides the exercises you listed, I’d strongly suggest learning the olympic lifts (even if it was just the “power” variations).

Good training,

Sentoguy

How come you want to stay in your weight class?

At 6’2 that low of a weight class would give someone shorter an advantage since they can be a lot stronger than you. To be honest the average top wrestler in 157 weight class is 5’9.

Phil is right about your limit strength, effecting your overall strength. But more than likely for you to gain any strength you will have to increase in weight.

Sent also mentioned OH lifting which is also great for explosive strength, but could be dangerous if you don’t know what your doing so be careful. Especially in season.

Good luck,

[quote]Phill wrote:
You need some BIG heavy moves and get stronger bro Deads, squats, bench OH press. You cant be explosive with piss poor limit strength.

A DL may look slow or a heavy squat may look slow but your trying to move that load damn fast. If you an move a heavy load fairly quickly explosively it will make you Faster and stronger

Sure the explosive moves you list are great but I just feel its not your speed but lack of strenght holding you back. Might consider a bit of weight gain as well

Phill

[/quote]

Great job, Phill!

I’d like to add that “trying” to move heavy weight quickly as in trying to pull a deadlift fast even though it’s actual movement is slow is the most important part.

Trying to press a heavy weight so fast that it leaves your grip is what you TRY to do (it wont happen if the load is appropriate). The body responds to the amount of force you put into the bar, not it’s actual speed.

Lighter speed work has it’s place too (Westside ME/DE etc.) but like was already said, look to increase you maximal strength on a handful of big movements first.

You cannot be weak and fast.

I’m sure that can all be said more concisely but I’m dieting and my brain is slow.

Thanks for fast replys

Only reason I don’t want to move up in weight is because I won’t be used to wrestling that high up one weight class would be fine like 162 or so but not 173 which is the one after

How old are you?I’m 5’8" and 230 if I was 6’2" I would personally shoot for getting in the heavyweight division.With that tall of a frame you can pack on alot more meat.Of course in your case you would have to get your strength up to be competitive but that’s not impossible.I’m not sure what that routine is doing for you but I suggest squatting and deadlifting for hours at a time.

Leg strength is important and learning how to do power cleans is gonna help you too.That really builds explosive power.

Exactly bro. use what you were given dont fight your body even 173 would be light for someone 6"2" its going to take hard work but just adding some weight to your frame and well obviously eating is going to give you strength.

Sometimes we have to step back and be realistic. Do what is going to have us perform best for our goals

Phill

[quote]MAS50 wrote:
How old are you?I’m 5’8" and 230 if I was 6’2" I would personally shoot for getting in the heavyweight division.With that tall of a frame you can pack on alot more meat.Of course in your case you would have to get your strength up to be competitive but that’s not impossible.I’m not sure what that routine is doing for you but I suggest squatting and deadlifting for hours at a time.

Leg strength is important and learning how to do power cleans is gonna help you too.That really builds explosive power.[/quote]

im 16