T Nation

Explosive Strength


#1

can anyone tell me how to build explosive strength for football?


#2

Nope


#3

Increasing limit strength will increase "explosiveness". Deadlifts/bench/squat/military press. DO those heavy. Become stronger.


#4

Lift explosively.


#5

Power cleans are a great lift for this. I would also suggest plyometrics and short sprint/jump work.


#6

Age, weight, height, major lifts, relevant sprint times? current training program, previous training program?
Position played?

Then maybe people will/can help you out a little more :wink:


#7

Check out WS4SB (www.defrancostraining.com). He builds strong and explosive athletes with his stuff. Also, could you be a little more specific with your question?


#8

haha sorry im
5'9 200
Bench 285x1
squat 500x1
dl 405x1
40 time is 5 flat

Monday: Chest and arms
Bench press 5 sets 10,8,6,4,2
DB Flat bench: 3 Sets 6,4,2
Dips: 3x10
Curls: 3x10

Tuesday: Legs
Squat: 5 sets 10, 8,6,4,2
Deadlift: 4 sets 6,4,3,2
Front squat: 3 sets 6,4,2

Wednesday: Back and shoulders
Military PRess: 4 sets 8,6,4,2
LAteral Raises: 3x10
Shrugs: 4 Sets 8,6,4,2
DB rows: 4 sets 8,6,4,2
Chinups: 3x10

Friday: Complete upper body
Bench press: 4 sets 8,6,4,2
Dips: 3x10
Db row: 4 sets 8,6,4,2
Chinups: 4x8
LAteral raises: 3x10

I dont have a set diet i just eat a lot of foods packed with protein, Nuts,chicken, steak, cold cuts, whey protein, Peanut butter, etc

thanks for the help


#9

This looks more like a modified bodybuilding routine than a football/power workout. You need to have days where you work on your power and maximal strength (1-5 rep range) on the big compound exercises. That alone will help build power. I would also add in some plyometric work on for lower body.

If I were you, I would check out DeFranco's site. He has a lot of great information regarding training football players who desire to become bigger, faster, stronger. He knows his stuff and I think WS4SB might be what you are looking for to bring you to the next level.


#10

ok thanks man.... But i might sound like a pain in the ass but does anyone have a good diet i can look at cause as you can see mines jst kinda random. im looking to get bigger while adding as little fat in the process.
thanks


#11

I agree with what ebomb said- looks more like a BB program, which is fine but maybe not best suited to your goals-
So I'll second the advice to go check out defranco's, it may be EXACTLY what you are looking for.

The DE days will really help your explosivness. I think he also includes a template on how to include sprints into the program if you want to specifically work on that.

There's plenty of good articles on here about diet, I'm sorry but I can't help you much on that one..
My diet tends to be pretty random too.


#12

Make sure you get a ton of protein. 1.5-3 grams per BW should be your goal for the day. To minimize fat gain while also maximizing growth, focus on getting complex carbs with your meals like brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc. Make sure you also take in healthy fats such as Omega 3's, Natural Peanut Butter, and various oils with the meals where you don't eat as many carbs (ie nighttime)Eat like a champ. Are you in high school? If I were you, I would try and eat like this 80 % of the time, and the other 20 %, just eat like a man. You really won't gain that much fat, especially if you're active and the added calories will probably do only good for you anyways. Hopefully that helps. If you have any other questions man, feel free to ask.


#13

thanks i appreciate the help with the diet. i just have a pb and j for like every meal and i feel like im gaining some fat still so im getting kind of frustrated thanks