T Nation

Explosive Pulls Continuous Ramp Help

Hey coach! I need a recommendation.

I just got back from the gym after doing the continuous ramp I found here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/explosive_pulls_high_pulls_low_pulls_chinese_pulls

The ramp looks like:
High Pull - ramp to max
Chinese Pull - ramp to max, starting where high pull ended
Low Pull - ramp to max, starting where chinese pull ended

Because my best gains were on the HPMass program, but I’ve fallen in love with the high pull and its variations, I decided to add a pull day to my training. Here’s what it’ll look like:
Day 1: Lower Body Pressing
Front Squat - Ramp to 80% of 3RM and wave load
Back Squat - Ramp to 80% of 3RM and wave load
High Pull - ?

Day 2: Upper Body Pressing
Push Press - Ramp to 87.5% of 3RM and wave load
Incline Press - Ramp to 87.5% of 3RM and wave load
Bench Press - Ramp to 87.5% of 3RM and wave load
Front Squat - Ramp to 80% of 3RM and wave load

Day 3: Pull
High Pull - ?
Chinese Pull - ?
Low Pull - ?
Push Press - Ramp to 87.5% of 3RM and wave load

REPEAT

Should I do the same wave loading technique with the pulls? If so, what percentage of my 3RM for each movement should I use? Or, would you recommend ramping to a one rep max for each movement and not wave load?

Thanks!
Colby

The point of adding one of the main lifts from the day before is for 2 reasons: 1) Super compensation effect of doing movements for the same muscle group two days in a row and 2) To get the practice effect of doing a high frequency of performance style lifting.

Well honestly it depends on your skill level on the pulls. The chinese pull can actually be technically hard to do if you aren’t already a super efficient puller. So I might suggest a continuous ramp of:

High pull from hang
High pull from blocks
Low pull from blocks

I would ramp doing doubles or triples (sets of 2 or 3) instead of singles (sets of 1).

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Well honestly it depends on your skill level on the pulls. The chinese pull can actually be technically hard to do if you aren’t already a super efficient puller. So I might suggest a continuous ramp of:

High pull from hang
High pull from blocks
Low pull from blocks

I would ramp doing doubles or triples (sets of 2 or 3) instead of singles (sets of 1).[/quote]
Thank you, sir! Sounds great.