Explosive Power Training for Hockey

[quote]etaco wrote:
Looking at your numbers, the biggest thing that jumps out at me is your low squat number. You list a bodyweight PClean and a 1.25 bw squat, which suggests that your ability to produce power is limited by your ability to create absolute force rather than your rate of force development (rfd).

As such, both your immediate sports performance as well as your long term development will be best served by focusing primarily on strength methods in the lower body. This means more ME and RE work and relatively less DE work in the lingo familiar to people with westside experience. [/quote]

I really didn’t understand anything of that. Can anyone explain the “RE”, “DE” and “ME”

Day 1
Cleans 3-5 x 1-3
Squats 5x
Lunges 3x
One legged squats 3x
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 4x
Abs 6x

Day 3
Push Press 4x
Barbell Rows 3x
Triceps Extensions 3x
Weighted Chins 3x
Barbell Curls 3x

Day 5
Hang Cleans 4x1-3
Deadlift 4x
Front-Squats 4x
Lunges 2x15
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 3x
Abs Rotational 6x

Better?

edit*

[quote]Control_61 wrote:
etaco wrote:
Looking at your numbers, the biggest thing that jumps out at me is your low squat number. You list a bodyweight PClean and a 1.25 bw squat, which suggests that your ability to produce power is limited by your ability to create absolute force rather than your rate of force development (rfd).

As such, both your immediate sports performance as well as your long term development will be best served by focusing primarily on strength methods in the lower body. This means more ME and RE work and relatively less DE work in the lingo familiar to people with westside experience.

I really didn’t understand anything of that. Can anyone explain the “RE”, “DE” and “ME”
[/quote]

The basic gist is that your primary focus should be on strength and muscle growth type work as opposed to power oriented work for the time being. This would mean more sets of in the 6-12rm range as well as a bit of 1-5rm work using max weights.

[quote]Control_61 wrote:
Day 1
Cleans 3-5 x 1-3
Squats 5x
Lunges 3x
One legged squats 3x
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 4x
Abs 6x

Day 3
Push Press 4x
Barbell Rows 3x
Triceps Extensions 3x
Weighted Chins 3x
Barbell Curls 3x

Day 5
Hang Cleans 4x1-3
Deadlift 4x
Front-Squats 4x
Lunges 2x15
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 3x
Abs Rotational 6x

Better?
[/quote]

Much better.

A couple points I’d consider:

Day 1 you may not need lunges and single legged squats, consider replacing lunges on this day with Romanian deadlifts.

You may want to move Bench press to day 3, with the other shoulder and tricep work. I’m not sure how much effort you’d put into bench that late in day 1, so on day 3 you could alternate between making either push press or bench press your main movement.

As far as Abs, consider implementing some of the thoughts from Mike Robertson’s article on abdominal stability.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1098876

Also, add in some grip work a couple times a week, it’s important to be strong on your stick. You can likely find some suggestions in this article.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1411503

Good luck.

[quote]Control_61 wrote:
Day 1
Cleans 3-5 x 1-3
Squats 5x
Lunges 3x
One legged squats 3x
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 4x
Abs 6x

Day 3
Push Press 4x
Barbell Rows 3x
Triceps Extensions 3x
Weighted Chins 3x
Barbell Curls 3x

Day 5
Hang Cleans 4x1-3
Deadlift 4x
Front-Squats 4x
Lunges 2x15
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 3x
Abs Rotational 6x

Better?
[/quote]

I would do a full-body routine 3x/week. Supersetting is necessary. Drop the deadlifts in favor of 1-leg SLDLs. More rowing. good luck.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Control_61 wrote:
Day 1
Cleans 3-5 x 1-3
Squats 5x
Lunges 3x
One legged squats 3x
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 4x
Abs 6x

Day 3
Push Press 4x
Barbell Rows 3x
Triceps Extensions 3x
Weighted Chins 3x
Barbell Curls 3x

Day 5
Hang Cleans 4x1-3
Deadlift 4x
Front-Squats 4x
Lunges 2x15
Bench Press 4x
Hyperextensions 3x
Abs Rotational 6x

Better?

Much better.

A couple points I’d consider:

Day 1 you may not need lunges and single legged squats, consider replacing lunges on this day with Romanian deadlifts.

You may want to move Bench press to day 3, with the other shoulder and tricep work. I’m not sure how much effort you’d put into bench that late in day 1, so on day 3 you could alternate between making either push press or bench press your main movement.

As far as Abs, consider implementing some of the thoughts from Mike Robertson’s article on abdominal stability.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1098876

Also, add in some grip work a couple times a week, it’s important to be strong on your stick. You can likely find some suggestions in this article.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1411503

Good luck.[/quote]

How about some plyos before Day 3?

Maybe it would be beneficial to do some Plyometrics during mondays and fridays trainings too?

I also have a questiona bout the core training that you posted before.

stead of simply hollowing the stomach, think about posteriorly tilting your pelvis.

That is a sentence that not even the swedish-english dictionary understands :wink:

Some help with that sentence would be nice, it would help me understan the whole article better.

Make the lunges on day 5 Side Lunges.

Okay!!