Explosive Lifting and Injury

I have a question about the rate the concentric portion of a lift. I have seen it been advocated quite a lot about the need to make the concentric portion of the lift as fast as possible.

Currently, I train with a 3 second eccentric cadence followed by a 2 to 3 second concentric cadence. My goal is to increase strength and size, with a FOCUS on safety so as not to get injured. I guess my question is, is lifting with a explosive concentric dangerous, or at least does it increase chance of injury, or is it actually safer than a slower concentric? (assuming form is spot on)

As long as you don’t loose control of the weight there is nothing dangerous about fast concentrics.

as long as you have control you do not have to worry

Like what has been said, control is important. Make sure your technique is solid too, explosive movements aren’t dangerous as long as you have proper technique.

Unless you are going very light, fast concentrics (with proper technique) should be your mainstay. Even if the weight is not going up fast, trying to move it fast will help.

Using a slower tempo like that will inherently force you to use less weight than if you were to simply lower the barbell under control and lift it with as much force as possible.

All things being equal, greater risk always comes with higher weight but so does greater reward. This is, of course, assuming that you have well developed technique and control of your body and the weight.

-Matt

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
I have a question about the rate the concentric portion of a lift. I have seen it been advocated quite a lot about the need to make the concentric portion of the lift as fast as possible.

Currently, I train with a 3 second eccentric cadence followed by a 2 to 3 second concentric cadence. My goal is to increase strength and size, with a FOCUS on safety so as not to get injured. I guess my question is, is lifting with a explosive concentric dangerous, or at least does it increase chance of injury, or is it actually safer than a slower concentric? (assuming form is spot on)[/quote]