Explosive Back?

Anyone know of any good explosive movements for the uppper back? I know the olympic lifts and their variations hit the upper back pretty hard but I am looking for something more specific to the back and not as whole body.

So far all I can come up with is the clap pullup. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Try power cleans.

[quote]woodchuck wrote:
Anyone know of any good explosive movements for the uppper back? I know the olympic lifts and their variations hit the upper back pretty hard but I am looking for something more specific to the back and not as whole body.

So far all I can come up with is the clap pullup. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

High pulls…

meat

push jerk

[quote]woodchuck wrote:

So far all I can come up with is the clap pullup. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

I’m not quite sure what you are wanting to know. Clap pullups? why not regular pullups, or weighted pullups, or bentover rows, wide grip weighted reverse pushups… I could go on, but I don’t know what you want, the upper back has a lot of muscles in it that can, or cannot be worked with any kind of pullup variation. Pulling down will generally make you wider, whereas rowing horizontally will make you thicker.

look up powershrugs. Theyre very explosive, and a small ROM so not really a whole body excercise. You will most likely have to use lifting straps for these but dont worry.

I did them for 4 sets of 10 once a week and the result was an explosive deadlift lockout and VERY noticeable growth in the upper traps, coming from someone whose traps do not grow very much otherwise.

Drop and Catch 1-Arm DB Rows. Awesome.

In the past, I have just done dynamic bent-over rows, similar to how I would do a dynamic bench press, the same as normal but using a lighter load.

[quote]lavi wrote:
look up powershrugs. Theyre very explosive, and a small ROM so not really a whole body excercise. You will most likely have to use lifting straps for these but dont worry.

I did them for 4 sets of 10 once a week and the result was an explosive deadlift lockout and VERY noticeable growth in the upper traps, coming from someone whose traps do not grow very much otherwise.[/quote]

Seconded. My traps grow well so I don’t do a whole lot for them, but I feel they need something extra this is it.

Dynamic pulls from mid thigh with Clean or Snatch grip or altenrate them :).

Koing

[quote]woodchuck wrote:

WC what are you seeking? Hypertrophy? Greater Speed in your cleans?

Face Pulls isolate the upper back very well and are good for hypertrophy. Not sure how much carry over that gives up in the Oly lifts