Explosions in Oslo

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:
Are there any updates on this? Did they determine the cause of the explosion. Article says bomb blast but it doesn’t look like there’s any evidence at this time to support that.[/quote]

Oslo, Norway, Jul 22, 2011 / 03:59 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Catholics in Norway are shocked by what appears to be a terrorist attack on government headquarters in Oslo that killed at least seven people and injured another 15 on July 22.

â??We are so used to being this quiet little nation where nothing like this happens,â?? said Fr. Paul Bratbak, the communications director for the Diocese of Oslo, in a July 22 interview with CNA.

â??It’s just too much to take in at the moment.â??

Following the explosion, a gunman opened fire at a youth camp connected to Norway’s ruling Labour Party, killing at least 20 youth, according to the Associated Press.

Responsibility for the explosion and subsequent shooting remains uncertain, though one terror group, the Helpers of the Global Jihad, issued a statement on July 22 claiming responsibility for the attacks.

In the message, the group said the reason they attacked Norway was because of its military presence in Afghanistan and general insults to Muhammad.

The statement has not been confirmed as authentic, adding to the confusion Fr. Bratbak said many Norwegians are feeling.

Fr. Bratbak said he was driving back from a week-long retreat in the mountains when he heard news of the explosion over the radio.

â??It’s been a bit of a shock coming back to this after a retreat,â?? he said. â??I was just waking up to the world again.â??

After hearing the news, he rushed to get to Oslo.

A road had been blocked off on the side of the cathedral, which is near the government buildings that were destroyed in the explosion.

He said that many of the votive candles in the chapel were lit, evidence of the faithful coming in to pray. There were at least 30 people at evening Mass.

â??Everything is so chaotic at the moment still so we are just trying to keep calm and pray,â?? Fr. Bratbak said.

Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi told CNA July 22 that a statement on the attacks would be released if a religious motivation is confirmed.

I live in the center of Oslo, and I must say this shit really took me by surprise. I guess one never thinks these kinds of things will happen on your doorstep.

The guy they arrested is a Norwegian guy, 32 years old. This feels way to coordinated for one guy to pull off solo though. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds in the coming days.

Of course some fucking organization in Afghanistan was quick to take credit, but I don’t think I’m buying that.

[quote]MaliMedved wrote:
Cartoon was Danish, not Norwegian. [/quote]

Norwegian newspapers reprinted it.

Condolences to the people of Norway. I was in Bergen for a semester a couple years back; really enjoyed it there.

Condolences and prayers.

The arrested suspect is Anders Behring Breivik:

He appears to be a conservative nationalist whose facebook page cites Winston Churchill and Norwegian WWII anti-Nazi(and anti-Communist) guerrilla fighter Max Manus as inspiration.

Max Manus:

This guy was obviously off his fucking rocker. I guess this isn’t going to make conservatives who like Winston Churchill look very good. :frowning:

EDIT: Reports that 80(!) teenagers killed at the youth camp. This may change but it’s looking very bad indeed.

Words cant begin to express how much sadness and anger that im feeling over this. 80 fucking kids.

[quote]QuadasarusFlex wrote:

Words cant begin to express how much sadness and anger that im feeling over this. 80 fucking kids. [/quote]
BUT THEY WERE LIBERALS!!! FUCK EM!!111
[/sarcasm]

Rohnyn. That is what he thought…

We are all in a state of shock.

[quote]espenl wrote:
Rohnyn. That is what he thought…

[/quote]

How on earth do you know what he thought? Maybe he was completely friggin insane like the guy who shot Gabrielle Giffords. The detonating of a car bomb in a public place and the shooting of 80+ kids tends to support this supposition.

So are a Muslim group responsible for this or not? The guy they arrested was said to have been very anti-muslim.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
So are a Muslim group responsible for this or not? The guy they arrested was said to have been very anti-muslim.[/quote]

Links? All I can find are unsubstantiated assertions. Here’s the bastard’s facebook page:

If anyone can read Norwegian perhaps they can find something that may shed light on his motive. Otherwise we’ll just have to wait for the media to answer these questions.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
So are a Muslim group responsible for this or not? The guy they arrested was said to have been very anti-muslim.[/quote]

Links? All I can find are unsubstantiated assertions. Here’s the bastard’s facebook page:

If anyone can read Norwegian perhaps they can find something that may shed light on his motive. Otherwise we’ll just have to wait for the media to answer these questions.[/quote]

according to his wiki page, he writes for some anti-muslim website.

wow that FB page is getting trolled hard

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

If anyone can read Norwegian perhaps they can find something that may shed light on his motive. Otherwise we’ll just have to wait for the media to answer these questions.[/quote]

according to his wiki page, he writes for some anti-muslim website.[/quote]

Nothing there about that.

It’s funny how when some Chrisitan identity right-winger white guy goes on a shooting rampage that is political…well he is just a crazy madman…but when Muslims do it, well every single Muslim secretly feels that way.

From my presonal viewpoint, and this is not a justification AT ALL, but I’m suprised this diddn’t happen sooner in Norway, their policies are completely out of control. The leftists have been asking for a McVeigh in Europe for a long time.

The man is a bastard and I hope he burns in hell, but his frustration is not madnaess. He’s just the one who nsapped over it, I’m sure many people in Norway, UK, and elsewhere, want to make the Labour Party pay for what they’ve done. Make them no that the original people still have a voice.

^^Here we go…

What I’m saying is. I’m the kind of guy that can see that even muslim extremists derive their viewpoint from real injustices that have exacerbated their hatred. I am not saying appeasement nor that even a plurality of them are ‘ustified’ but rather that actions of foreign policy have reactions. By the same merit, the policies of Europe are apppaling even to American moderates, the political climate in Europe has been planting the seeds of this for years. His actions are appaling but I’m certain that more of a few of those who mourn openly, feel much of the same satisfaction that radicals did on 911.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
want to make the Labour Party pay for what they’ve done[/quote]
can you expand on this?? I don’t know anything about Norwegian politics, what kind of political tension is there? Why don’t people like the Labour Party/leftists in Norway, what specifically have they done to piss people off?

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
but his frustration is not madnaess. He’s just the one who nsapped over it, I’m sure many people in Norway, UK, and elsewhere, want to make the Labour Party pay for what they’ve done. Make them no that the original people still have a voice.[/quote]

And what would these grave societal injustices this guy has experienced in Norway be?