Explosion For Push Presses?

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Loucifer1 wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
Loucifer1 wrote:

I currently do 10 0r 8 3’s for spd work @60%

You may find that dropping the % for the speed work is all you need. I seem to recall one of Louie’s articles on the Westside site making this very point.

Well try possibly 50%-55% do you know where I can find this article?

Not sure which article it was, but on this page: Strength Training Education: Weight Training, Powerlifting & More | Westside Barbell
The Feb '05 article “Speed Work” covers a lot of Louie’s ideas on speed.[/quote]

Thanks I have some reading to do.

Make sure you relax your grip at the start. Start the drive phase with a powerful leg and hip drive. You may be trying to initiate the movement with your arms as in a press.

If you are squeezing the bar at the start or trying to press the bar you will hamper your ability to produce speed. Its like trying to throw a punch with your biceps flexed.

[quote]sean waxman wrote:
Make sure you relax your grip at the start. Start the drive phase with a powerful leg and hip drive. You may be trying to initiate the movement with your arms as in a press.

If you are squeezing the bar at the start or trying to press the bar you will hamper your ability to produce speed. Its like trying to throw a punch with your biceps flexed.[/quote]

Thanks I do feel I’m actually not firing perfectly during some reps and know this cause say I’ll do a set w/ 250 outta 5 reps 4 will be perfect but at least 1 I won’t just catch at the top and have to grind it out.
Its definetly something I’m devoting alotta time into right now so I appreciate the help.

elitefts.com has an aticle called “Dynamic Effort for Strongman” where they discuss speed work for overhead pressing. I’ve tried using bands for push pressing from the rack and I have to admit, after I took the bands off the bar seemed to fly up (the bands were anchored on very heavy dumbbells). It made a big difference in my speed and locking out. I used that to help set a big PR on my Overhead Axle at my first competition. Try it out, it might work for you.

Will do thank you,I love elite’s articles very informative stuff from real strong people.