T Nation

Explosion For Push Presses?

Hi all I looking to know if anyone has any info on building up your explosion on the dip and drive part of a push press/jerk?

I’m currently barely missing 300 by a nose hair but I feel my problem is my speed in which I drive my speed is the same regardless if its 300lbs or 250lb.

If I could just get faster than I could blow right through where I’m getn stuck ,right now.

I’ve already thoght of plyo work but looking to find more info or if anyone has gone through this situation and conquered.Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately speed is controlled by fast twitch fibers. You can only train your body so far until the fast twitch fibers don’t expand anymore, and I believe you can’t gain anymore fasttwitch fibers than you are born with.

Really working the front squat fast even heavy loads learn to drive it hard will help

like you said plyos, even other oly lifts get fast, snatch etc

Phill

Maybe you could copy something from the Westside guys and do speed work with around 50% of your max. 20 sets of 3, once a week.

k

the foward knee bend do this with a jump at the end and not apress s, you sink down and then explode up simple. not aiming to do a push press just get as much speed/ off the floor as much as possible. the weight may need to be increased but this will only help your push press.

also front squats will help aiming to keep elbows in the correct position.

Thanks fellows I really appreciate the feedback.This is the 1st time I’m working on push presses,and barely missing 300.So i feel i just need time to work on technique and make it crisp,also work on explosion.

I currently do 10 0r 8 3’s for spd work @60%,along with front squats w/authority(really driving up hard outta the hole) and on my cardio days(5 mile bike rides)do all types of depth,height and sitttn jumps.

Hopefully this should advance my explosiveness and help with this problem.

See with 300 I felt totallt firing wrong and outta grove witht the press but still narrowly just missed 5 times!

Just a matter of time,I’ve only been working on this for 3 mo.so all I’ve made good progress.And I ain’t goona stop til I can hit 350-370 overhead so I’ve gotta get really good at this.Thanks again.

Front squats. Presses with chains. Press with a lite band. That’s how I built up my push press.

I’ve seen so many of the older powerlifters doing half reps on bench where it almost looks as if they’re bouncing the bar of their chests. Basically half reps w/ no form.

I’ve used that for my bench and it took off…same goes for my push press. Nothing ridiculous, but my push press went from 275 to 320 at a bw of about 215.

[quote]Loucifer1 wrote:

I currently do 10 0r 8 3’s for spd work @60%[/quote]

You may find that dropping the % for the speed work is all you need. I seem to recall one of Louie’s articles on the Westside site making this very point.

What’s the logic for doing speed work for push-presses?

The push-press is not the bench; it’s a fast lift.

I’ve gotten the most gains on my push-press from just push pressing as heavy as possible on a regular basis and avoiding fairly. So with the rack jerk. If you’re just interested in putting more weight overhead any way you can, working on your rack jerk technique will pay off. I push-press only 100 kilos, but I rack jerk 126.

I’d suggest maybe doing speed with 60 percent of your max.

Or after you go up for the 300 and you drop it, take something lighter and hit some fast reps and come back another day.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
What’s the logic for doing speed work for push-presses?

The push-press is not the bench; it’s a fast lift.

I’ve gotten the most gains on my push-press from just push pressing as heavy as possible on a regular basis and avoiding fairly. So with the rack jerk. If you’re just interested in putting more weight overhead any way you can, working on your rack jerk technique will pay off. I push-press only 100 kilos, but I rack jerk 126.[/quote]

My point on push presses for speed is more of technique execution day.Yeah its a fast lift and I’m trying to work on my absolute speed with the lighter weights to then be able to generate the same force into the heavy.
Every rep has to be timed and spot on with dip,drive and drop under…

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Loucifer1 wrote:

I currently do 10 0r 8 3’s for spd work @60%

You may find that dropping the % for the speed work is all you need. I seem to recall one of Louie’s articles on the Westside site making this very point.[/quote]

Well try possibly 50%-55% do you know where I can find this article?

[quote]Chris Adams wrote:
I’d suggest maybe doing speed with 60 percent of your max.

Or after you go up for the 300 and you drop it, take something lighter and hit some fast reps and come back another day.[/quote]

I currently do this.Thank You

[quote]Loucifer1 wrote:
Hi all I looking to know if anyone has any info on building up your explosion on the dip and drive part of a push press/jerk?

I’m currently barely missing 300 by a nose hair but I feel my problem is my speed in which I drive my speed is the same regardless if its 300lbs or 250lb.

If I could just get faster than I could blow right through where I’m getn stuck ,right now.

I’ve already thoght of plyo work but looking to find more info or if anyone has gone through this situation and conquered.Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Mate,

Quick question, where are you getting stuck? Is it getting it at the start of the lift around your head or is it closer to lockout? This will help us determine whether you need work on your leg drive or actual press/lockout position.

Cheers,

Sasha

I cannot push press as much as you, but I feel some box depth jumps helped me with this as well as a lot of front squatting.

[quote]Loucifer1 wrote:

Every rep has to be timed and spot on with dip,drive and drop under…
[/quote]

Since you’re talking about the drop under, I take it that you’re push-jerking rather than push-pressing?

Again, most people that I know who want to move their jerks up just do heavy jerks a lot. But another thing that you might try is heavy jerk drives. You dip and drive, just as you would for a push-press or jerk, but you do it with heavy enough weight that the barbell only goes up to between chin or eye level, if that.

These are different from partial front squats in that the technique is the same as the dip in the push-press or jerk: You bend at the knees only, and not at the hips, and emphasis acceleration after the turnaround at the bottom.

3 suggestions that were given to me by a member of another board

1. keep the elbows up

2. tight upper back

3. really STOMP the lead leg (whichever one is going forward) down

I feel these three things have really helped my technique, especially the third item. I was pretty close to 300 at viking fest, and with these suggestions I hit 300 on my second axle workout after viking fest.

now you’ll probably take that info and beat me at a contest AGAIN later this year … oh well :wink:

[quote]Loucifer1 wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
Loucifer1 wrote:

I currently do 10 0r 8 3’s for spd work @60%

You may find that dropping the % for the speed work is all you need. I seem to recall one of Louie’s articles on the Westside site making this very point.

Well try possibly 50%-55% do you know where I can find this article?[/quote]

Not sure which article it was, but on this page: http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
The Feb '05 article “Speed Work” covers a lot of Louie’s ideas on speed.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
3 suggestions that were given to me by a member of another board

1. keep the elbows up

2. tight upper back

3. really STOMP the lead leg (whichever one is going forward) down

I feel these three things have really helped my technique, especially the third item. I was pretty close to 300 at viking fest, and with these suggestions I hit 300 on my second axle workout after viking fest.

now you’ll probably take that info and beat me at a contest AGAIN later this year … oh well ;-)[/quote]

Hey Kev whats up Bro,thanks for the goods,(insert evil sinsiter laugh here)HAHAHAHA!
Last week I tried that 280 I missed at the show,and absolutely smoked it,so went for broke w/ 300 and barely missed the mother*#@!$% 5 TIMES!

Now you know what 5 max effort attempts do to a guys manhood.And boy that shit ain’t funny.
So I’m looking for info to increase my dip n drive speed.

Actually I learned my problem was having my feet to close together and not getn any REAL knee or hip involvement.Shit,why didn’t someone just tell me?Help a bro out,you know?
But all n all I wanna hit 3 n the Jersey so i don’t fall in the middle of the pack again(better then my previuos shows but not a weakness I wanna hold onto for much longer).
Ideally I want a 350-370 O.H. by Oct/Nov.Since I’ve never devoted any time to my press I feel its a far reach for me but I like to shoot my goals high,ya know.

Its like being an absolute newbie to weighlifting and making those begginner gains.
I’m also going for 705DL right before the Jersey show,so by then I’ll hopefully have a Vid cam and I’ll post it up.

How’s training going?You still training at April’s?