T Nation

Explanation of the Gironda Press?

Not that I’m going to use it or anything, but I read about it and tried it, and it doesn’t seem any different than bench press to me.

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
Not that I’m going to use it or anything, but I read about it and tried it, and it doesn’t seem any different than bench press to me.[/quote]

I do believe you bring th bar very high toward the neck instead of low on the chest getting more shoulder and chest in the move. A touch dangerous for anyone wit shoulder probs

Phill

So… bench press works chest, tricep, front delt, whereas gironda press works chest, front delt?

It’s when you take an old gym curmudgeon and press him up over your head as many times as you can, or at least until he stops screaming.

uh… If this is just doing benches to the neck, I actually do that occassionally as an older article Gironda penned (or some dude at Flex wrote for him) stated that it’s a much better upper pec developer than inclines, but be careful if you have shoulder problems. I typically do them at the end of my workout, maybe just a plate on each side, and very slowly, just focusing on the deep stretch (not too far!) and intense pump you will feel in your upper pecs from it.

-S

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
So… bench press works chest, tricep, front delt, whereas gironda press works chest, front delt?[/quote]

So they say, and you also lift your legs of the ground toward your stomach while doing the press - someone just posted a link to a video today but I can’t find it now.

So, gironda press is better than bench press for developing pecs? Or does gironda press take out the tricep but add more of the weight to your shoulders?

Dude, you ask WAY too many questions. It would be far better if you just find a routine and START IT and keep it up for a while.

Yes, it is better for developing pecs. The upper pecs. By lifting your legs you are keeping your back flat against the bench and taking the back out of the exercise.

By lowering to the neck and flaring the elbows out you are taking the delts out of the movement.

Using a wider grip takes most of the triceps out of the movement.

You use far less weight than the bench press, so check your ego at the door.

Squeezing your pecs at the top of the movement for a six count helps to gorge the pecs with blood.

But, like you said, you don’t plan on using it.

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
Dude, you ask WAY too many questions. It would be far better if you just find a routine and START IT and keep it up for a while.

Yes, it is better for developing pecs. The upper pecs. By lifting your legs you are keeping your back flat against the bench and taking the back out of the exercise.

By lowering to the neck and flaring the elbows out you are taking the delts out of the movement.

Using a wider grip takes most of the triceps out of the movement.

You use far less weight than the bench press, so check your ego at the door.

Squeezing your pecs at the top of the movement for a six count helps to gorge the pecs with blood.

But, like you said, you don’t plan on using it.[/quote]

I’m just curious.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vxhgcyT5FrE

Looks like that. It will still work the shoulder and triceps to a degree but the point is to put as much emphasis on the chest as possible. You do not and can not use the same weight as you would bench press with the neck press.