Expiration Date?

I did a search and couldn’t find anything on my subject. I have some test and deca that will soon expire…in Feb. I do not plan on using them till maybe that summer. Ok to use? Or throw that shit out?

I’d use it personally, 3 or so months is nothing and I have read about people using gear years out of date with no issue.

I think I remember doing so myself, but it is one of those memories where I can’t tell if it is true or imagined…

From a study I read, drugs that were examined years after their expiration were typically just as potent as they originally were when stored properly and there were no signs of them becoming toxic or anything like that. I personally haven’t seen any evidence suggesting that expired drugs are dangerous, I think the worst thing that can happen is they might lose some of their potency. In your case I wouldn’t sweat it at all. I’m no expert, but I’d be very surprised if one of the board vets disagreed.

The only potential issues i can think of are a change in potency, a degradation of the stopper and a loss of sterility.

Degradation of the stopper: I suppose that could occur at some point, and inevitably would eventually occur. But whether this takes years or decades in ordinary storage conditions, I don’t know.

Sterility couldn’t be lost unless the integrity of the vial was lost.

With regards to testosterone and Deca, there will be no change in the drug over time in any reasonable storage condition.

As per the sterility… i should have been more clear; I meant the ability of the drug to maintain a bacteriostatic(?) ‘condition’ once it is exposed to the air - rather than the product in the vial.

Due to a decreased BA content or some such…

Is that a possibility at all?

OR one last thing - the expiration is put on so that the drug company can sell more over time.

I know you know what you mean, but I’m not sure what you mean. I assumed the question was about unopened vials, so the contents haven’t been exposed to the air, and the vials are airtight.

I am guessing you mean, though it may not be it, what if someone started using a vial, so the drug is now exposed to the air introduced into the vial (if the person uses the practice of injecting an equal volume of air first; or did not but the puncturing of the septum allows air to eventually leak in.)

That would not be an issue with regards to testosterone or Deca or to the benzyl alcohol.

I think that the expiration date issue is more a matter that testing is required to prove that a given date yields no significant degradation, probably to a pretty high standard (I don’t know what it is.) The further off a company would like to set the date, the more testing is required.

It doesn’t take actually waiting that many years, as there are established methods for using higher temperatures and shorter times and extrapolating that to the required storage conditions, but still, it might not be practical for a company to set an expiration date of say 10 years after manufacture even if in fact the drug would still be good. And the date they actually set is good enough for commercial purposes.

Rancidity requires oxidation, which would require availability of oxygen, though, so I don’t think that is a problem.

It is true that drugs should be stored away from UV light, if in containers that would allow it through, which I’d expect is the case for vials.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

I am guessing you mean, though it may not be it, what if someone started using a vial, so the drug is now exposed to the air introduced into the vial (if the person uses the practice of injecting an equal volume of air first; or did not but the puncturing of the septum allows air to eventually leak in.)[/quote]

Yep, that or breaking open an amp or whatever.

You answered my question just fine though, thanks ;)[quote]

That being the situation you were concerned with, then BBB’s point could apply.

While it is right that exposure to such air is not relevant to the testosterone or Deca or solution or to the benzyl alcohol as I said, with regard to the oil BBB’s point could apply.

If it’s just the air in the vial itself and the septum is in pretty good shape, the total amount of oxidation of oil that could occur is quite low, as the weight (mass) of oxygen present isn’t sufficient to oxidize any substantial amount of oil.

But if left open to air, BBB’s point could well apply over time.

But not rapidly: for example soybean oil kept in the kitchen isn’t known to go rancid quickly.

Maybe… except of course to play devils advocate, the length of time the product would be exposed to air due to opening an amp is negligible… maybe a minute?

I think we can all agree it is highly unlikely one would regret using a safely stored, expired injectable steroid!