Experts W/O Execution

I was reading a post the other day and I remember it being discussed in some articles and was wondering everybody’s thoughts.

Quote from Beast evolves by CT

“So I came to the following conclusion: I’m working for T-mag and my job is to not only know what I’m talking about, but to look like I know what I’m talking about!”

I’m a big believer in this philosophy and was just curious what you all thought? If you talk the talk, should you at least be able to walk the walk.

Well it does make intuitive sense, but the real measure is, “What have your CLIENTS achieved.” I mean, if Stephen Hawking produced champion athletes and bodybuilders, you wouldn’t point at him and say, “What could he know?”

Like, Charlie Francis doesn’t have the world record for sprinting. Victor Conte, neither. But look at their athletes.

[quote]John K wrote:
Well it does make intuitive sense, but the real measure is, “What have your CLIENTS achieved.” I mean, if Stephen Hawking produced champion athletes and bodybuilders, you wouldn’t point at him and say, “What could he know?”

Like, Charlie Francis doesn’t have the world record for sprinting. Victor Conte, neither. But look at their athletes.
[/quote]

I think what you wrote makes great sense as far as those who are personal training as career (outside of the skinny/fat people working for many commercial gyms) and who have clients with specific goals. However, if this original question branches outward to include those who are into training rather seriously but who don’t train anyone as a client, I think looking the part is extremely important.

I personally wouldn’t listen to much some kid had to say about my form in training if they barely broke 180lbs and weren’t old enough to drink legally. I see many posts that elude to the fact that a lot of trainers today think they are the only ones doing it right and everyone else is wrong…even though everyone else is making more progress as this individual continues super-slow reps with “perfect” form using 25lbs dumbbells.

If you really understand training, it will show in your physique. In weightlifting/bodybuilding, you wear what you do. People know I bulk up when gaining because I get smooth as hell. I don’t care though because doing that has helped me make more progress. If you have 14" arms and a bird chest, I really don’t care what you have to say about squats and my use of Hammer Strength equipment. Book knowledge alone may fool some people over the internet, but real world knowledge is what shows up in the mirror.

[quote]John K wrote:
Victor Conte, neither. But look at their athletes.
[/quote]

To suggest Conte has an ability it a bit stupid. The guy made drugs, he didn’t train anyone.