T Nation

Experiment: No More Whey Protein

I’ve been wondering this for a long time and I’m going to try it. Anyone been wondering why everyone takes the stuff so damn religiously? I realize there isn’t much of a risk as the health community claims, but I still find it has merit and I don’t like a lack of USDA/USP backing (aside from absurd expensive organic whey).

So what I’m going to do is buy a high quality organic whey to have just in case, but from now on (at least for a while) I’m going to get everything from whole foods, and just see what happens. I’ll report back with what happens.

It’s going to save me money (college dining hall, so the whey protein is actually adding expenses), and if it works just as well and I feel fuller- why not try it and avoid any negs?

Anyways, let it begin.

reality check - what you’re doing is not revolutionary. See Paleo Diet. There are zillions of people out there that have already done what you’re talking about. Read blogs and other forums for verification of this. As far as ‘reporting back with what happens’… probably not necessary. That information is already out there. But do what you want :slight_smile:

Here’s why most people (myself included) drink whey shakes: convenience. I have several shakes every day because it’s more convenient than preparing food at work in my office. It’s also much less expensive than eating out, if that happens to be the only other option.

I’m also confused as to what you’re doing in terms of eating all, or mostly, organic food. You’re talking about how you feel the need for your whey protein to be organic at the beginning, and then you’re saying you’re going to eat in the college dining hall most of the time. Can you actually eat mostly organic at your dining hall? When I was in school, this definitely was not an option. Maybe your school is special.

Basically, I’m questioning the reasoning behind your decisions. They don’t seem to be coherent.

Also, what does ‘just in case’ even mean? In case of what? In case your dining hall runs out of food? If you’re dedicated to only eating whole foods, there shouldn’t be a ‘just in case’ option. Whole foods are abundant, this shouldn’t be hard to follow.

I agree with flip, a lot of it has to do with convenience. It’s nice when you can get an extra 50-80g of protein a day just by drinking a shake. Sometimes if I don’t have time to cook some meat or whatever, I can drink a shake so my body isn’t starved of protein before I can get it.

You do realize cafeteria food is most likely to be low end shit food? As far as protein content in pre-prepared foods…I wouldn’t expect to get solid numbers. Keep taking whey.

[quote]bbuehler3 wrote:
Anyone been wondering why everyone takes the stuff so damn religiously? [/quote]

Because bodybuilding is a cult with stranger practices than the Catholic religion.

[quote]bbuehler3 wrote:
I’ve been wondering this for a long time and I’m going to try it. Anyone been wondering why everyone takes the stuff so damn religiously? I realize there isn’t much of a risk as the health community claims, but I still find it has merit and I don’t like a lack of USDA/USP backing (aside from absurd expensive organic whey).

So what I’m going to do is buy a high quality organic whey to have just in case, but from now on (at least for a while) I’m going to get everything from whole foods, and just see what happens. I’ll report back with what happens.

It’s going to save me money (college dining hall, so the whey protein is actually adding expenses), and if it works just as well and I feel fuller- why not try it and avoid any negs?

Anyways, let it begin.[/quote]

Nothing religious about it. It’s just a good source of protein as far as amino acid profile and bioavailability goes and it’s relatively cheap when compared to other sources of animal protein. You could also look into egg protein if milk derivatives don’t hit your fancy.

Hydrolized casein/MAG-10 would be a better option than organic whey

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
reality check - what you’re doing is not revolutionary. See Paleo Diet. There are zillions of people out there that have already done what you’re talking about. Read blogs and other forums for verification of this. As far as ‘reporting back with what happens’… probably not necessary. That information is already out there. But do what you want :slight_smile:

Here’s why most people (myself included) drink whey shakes: convenience. I have several shakes every day because it’s more convenient than preparing food at work in my office. It’s also much less expensive than eating out, if that happens to be the only other option.

I’m also confused as to what you’re doing in terms of eating all, or mostly, organic food. You’re talking about how you feel the need for your whey protein to be organic at the beginning, and then you’re saying you’re going to eat in the college dining hall most of the time. Can you actually eat mostly organic at your dining hall? When I was in school, this definitely was not an option. Maybe your school is special.

Basically, I’m questioning the reasoning behind your decisions. They don’t seem to be coherent.

Also, what does ‘just in case’ even mean? In case of what? In case your dining hall runs out of food? If you’re dedicated to only eating whole foods, there shouldn’t be a ‘just in case’ option. Whole foods are abundant, this shouldn’t be hard to follow.[/quote]