Experiences with Frequency/Intensity

I’m asking for advice and experience more than an ‘answer’…

Hello,

I would like to know the feelings and experiences you have gained through training with respect to, frequency and intensity. In other words, do you find hitting squats in a 5x5 manner three times per week (a la stronglifts) the best for you, or once per week in a more Jim Wendler style (5/3/1), or how about just going ape shit crazy once per week and having a leg day that consists of heavy squats, RDL’s, hip thrusts and lunges?

Do you prefer to train particular movements (squats) or body parts (biceps) more or less frequent and/or more intensively on a given day?

And how has this worked for you?

Just curious, as I’m considering changing these parameters in my own routine when I get around to designing it.

Thank you for your experiences,

Harvey.

The proper use of both high volume-moderate intensity and low volume-high intensity routines are required to optimize progress. The important thing is recognizing when you have reaped the appropriate gains from the current protocol and managing the transition periods.

I?ve tried it all. I love higher frequency training. Unfortunately, my back and hips don?t. I?ve done higher frequency with both low volume/higher intensity and higher volume/lower intensity and ended up with an inflamed and chronically sore/stiff back and hips each way. Done 5/3/1 total body, shieko, smolov, Broz style, est. Tried box squatting, high bar, low bar, front squatting, mobility, foam rolling all the time, est. Never been able to go more than a month or so before I get hurt or can barely get out of bed in the morning.

I can do a similar amount of work in fewer sessions without problems.

Ironically, upper body I tolerate high frequency well.

I’ve been doing Snatch grip speed pulls, scrape the rack presses and pull ups 6 times a week, sometimes 2 a days, Broz style.
I work up to heavy weight and crank out lots of sets of 3 or more fast reps on the speed pulls and presses, the pull ups are just bodyweight between sets of presses. It’s very intuitive, sometimes I do more sets/reps, sometimes less, but the top weight remains constant until it’s too light, then I add plates.

I feel great, it’s hard, very hard, but it’s how I enjoy training. Soreness and stiffness in the back and hips were constant on the first weeks, but then I adapted and feel great now.

Doubleduce that’s interesting so currently have you decided to operate different movements/muscle groups with different frequency?
You say your upper body tolerates high frequency but your back and hips don’t, so have you tried benching or shoulder pressing multiple times per week, whilst only hitting lower body once per week but with increased intensity?

Braccini you sound like you enjoy really getting high volume in on particular lifts per workout. So do you only target those muscle groups 1x weekly?

[quote]hmorcom wrote:
Doubleduce that’s interesting so currently have you decided to operate different movements/muscle groups with different frequency?
You say your upper body tolerates high frequency but your back and hips don’t, so have you tried benching or shoulder pressing multiple times per week, whilst only hitting lower body once per week but with increased intensity?
[/quote]

Yeah, been moving more that way. Pressing 2-3 times a week, upper back every workout, legs 1-2 a week.

Doubleduce so are you covering squats and deadlifts in the ‘leg workout’ bracket?
seeing satisfactory progress in size/strength like this ?