T Nation

Experiences with a Strict Diet on TRT?

Has anyone been on a strict diet regiment on TRT (not bodybuilding focused Testosterone use)? Any major challenges physically or mentally? I’m looking to go strict Paleo to see if it will help with some other challenges I’ve been facing but I want to continue to have energy to exercise daily / 6 days a week and hold onto gains. Not sure how I’m going to do that low carb. Maybe there are some experienced diet focused people here.

thank you in advance for your insights,

worked great. lost 130lbs in a year. trt allowed me to run a huge deficit without being concerned about my test levels or muscle loss.

I did low carb, lower fat, high protein.

Thank you. I really don’t want to lose any weight so I’m trying to find ways to keep it on while still adhering to the paleo diet.

1 Like

it’s interesting I see strict diet and presume being strict for weight loss.

Why do you want to do paleo?

I did keto, and it was great for losing weight quickly, but I couldn’t stick to it. For me, it just seems like I do best with a few guidelines. I don’t drink calories unless it is an alcoholic drink. I don’t eat a lot of dessert items, unless on vacation. I avoid fried foods, but have some (most restaurants allow substitutions for stuff like fries, and if I have to pay extra I do). That is just me though. Some people do great long periods on stuff like keto, paleo, etc, but for me I can’t stick with it long term, and end up binging. Just my experience.

I like making small changes that I can stick to. Then when I want to lose weight, it is just small deviations to eat a bit less calories to. Gain weight, just add in a bit more food.

1 Like

What challenges? Digestive?

To clarify because the terms get muddied up a lot, is “strict paleo” no potatoes, rice, etc.? What specifically is allowed, or, if it’s a shorter list, what isn’t allowed?

What’s your training look like? And what’s your goal?

Also, current height/weight/general fat level?

Christian Thibaudeau has talked about the overall benefits of good workout nutrition, even on a low-carb plan: Tip: Low-Carb Diets vs. Workout Nutrition | T NATION

Getting that in place will definitely help hold onto gains.

Paleo just cuts out Legumes, Grains, Dairy, and for the most part, sugar. I’m doing it for energy production and quality of life related reasons; both mental and physical. More of a lifestyle than a one off diet.

1 Like

Mostly for physical and mental gains. After conducting my own research I’ve decided (my opinion) that dairy, legumes, grains, and sugar are not good for me to consume as I move to optimize my lifestyle and TRT.

Thx for your help

Hello, I am on TRT and have been successful with maintaining weight, energy, and mental health.
First we did a food sensitivities test to find which foods work the best and which foods to advoid.
I suggest two books; “Body Love” and “Genius Foods”.
I am 6’1”, weigh 185 (down from 215), 63 years old. I lift 5 or 6 days a week (no longer than 1 hour).
My mental health is above average (tested in 2021).
My wife has also lost 20 lbs.
This was our path to health and the above took us 3 years.

1 Like

TRT will absolutely compliment a strict diet.

A paleo diet mixed with resistance training will no doubt yield you some crazy results.

Going low carb, if you wish, would be easy as you could consume most of your meals as lean or fattier meat, with loads of vegetables.

I’ve had multiple clients take the same approach and look absolutely amazing.

Thank you… the challenge I’m facing is maintaining weight (I don’t have weight to lose). I picked up a bag of vegan weight gainer so I’m hoping that will keep things stable. I don’t have time to eat and cook all day long to maintain but I’m giving this paleo diet the best chance I can.

I’d re-examine your training plan. A full-body workout shouldn’t be taking two hours. And hour-long spin sessions several days a week aren’t in line with your goal of maintaining weight.

Consider this program instead: The Waterbury Method | T NATION

If it doesn’t look like this, then I’d rethink your adherence to a “Paleo diet”.

A dozen eggs a day would be another option. Very un-vegan, actually Paleo-friendly, and loaded with quality protein.

“Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus maybe a snack at some point” has delivered plenty of results. Don’t stress on that end.

2 Likes

Thanks Chris… I’ll look at the program link and your points are noted. I’ll be cheating with a brown rice based vegan gainer but I’m ok with that at this point in the transition.

I appreciate everyone’s help and insights here.

thank you for your time,

Chris_Colucci Forum Director
July 20

rb74:

the challenge I’m facing is maintaining weight (I don’t have weight to lose)

I’d re-examine your training plan. A full-body workout shouldn’t be taking two hours. And hour-long spin sessions several days a week aren’t in line with your goal of maintaining weight.

Consider this program instead: The Waterbury Method | T NATION

I picked up a bag of vegan weight gainer

If it doesn’t look like this, then I’d rethink your adherence to a “Paleo diet”.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 12.33.01 PM

A dozen eggs a day would be another option. Very un-vegan, actually Paleo-friendly, and loaded with quality protein.

I don’t have time to eat and cook all day long

“Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus maybe a snack at some point” has delivered plenty of results. Don’t stress on that end.