T Nation

Experiences w/ Gallon of Milk Per Day

If you’ve done the gallon of milk per day plan, please share your results. I’ve heard many people say it works for weight gain. I believe that, but what kind of weight? A gal of whole milk sure seems like a lot of fat and a lot of carbs. Were you able to gain mostly lean weight or were you packing on fat?

Thanks.

If your going to do a gallon a day youll probably want 2%.

Ive done that before when I was younger, not worth it in my opinion, too many simple carbs

Milk is ideal for growth, its a perfect mix of whey, casein, carbs, and fats.

I do mabey a 1/4 of a gallon when bulking hard, but Ive gradually been moving away from milk and more toward lean meats.

Beats weight gainer shakes I guess.

You gotta add in the Oreo’s for true bulking the way the old school powerlifters used to do it :wink:

My experience is that if I drink over 1.5L of milk a day, I chip porcelain off the toilet the rest of the evening.

1L is fine, so I may have a partial lactose intolerance.

Anyway, I feel stronger in the gym when consuming ample milk - but that may have to do with the fact that I am taking in more calories.

Never had as much as a gallon a day but at around 2-2.5L/day. I found my gut got big/bloated and I started looking like 80% of the population with a fat gut.

It helped put the weight on, and when I cut back on the milk, the gut went down and the weight stayed on.

Some people avoid milk, even dairy like the plague, other embrace it. Just give it a go for a week and you will find out soon enough if it works for you.

i used to drink a gallon and a half of skim milk a day. needless to say i was dehydrated haha but i was strong but not cut. now i dont drink any milk whatsoever and im a hundred times leaner. so i guess you can get away with drinking a gallon a day if you drink just as much water. if your bulking of course. if you want to stay lean or get lean stay away.

I did it for a few weeks and started to have terrible bloating/abdominal pain. The Squats & Milk routine is inferior to Squats & Calories.

When my lifts stalled and I was having trouble keeping up with the calories (poor meal planning and prep) the gallon of milk a day really helped me a lot. It makes sure I get enough calories and with all those carbs I have insane workouts, just make sure you are taking in extra fiber or you will live on the toilet.

You have to work up to it, but if you do, you can avoid a lot of the bloating… I drink a gallon a day right now, I break it into 4 parts: Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Preworkout… sometimes I have some before I go to bed…

When bulking, I drink a half gallon of whole milk, because I don’t want a gallons worth of fat… that would be 128 grams of total fat, 80 grams of saturated fat!

Getting the 40 from the half gal and then more from other parts of nutrition is already too much.

So anyways, a half gal of whole milk adds 64 grams of fat, 1200 calories and 64 grams of protein to your day. Sounds good to me.

I drink a half a gallon of milk a day. If i am trying to lean up a bit i drink 2% and if i want to add mass i use whole. I don’t have any problems with it and milk is actually my favorite drink.

For a lot of the summer I have done a half gallon of 2% a day. It has really helped me put on weight as I have always been very lean. I did it once during my christmas break and it helped me put on 10 lbs and then I did it this summer and it has helped me put on another 20. Most if not all has been good weight as I am stronger/more powerful/and much faster now than I was before. As with anything, give it a try and see what happens.

I never used a ‘gallon of milk a day’ as a specific nutritional goal.

However, for probably the first 10 years of my lifting career, I consumed a gallon of skim milk every day through making my protein shakes with it, eating cold cereal, and drinking it straight.

I gained about 100lbs. of lean mass during those 10 years. It’d be a bit of a stretch to say that milk was solely responsible for that, but it certainly didn’t hurt.

I drink about 3/4 1% milk every day…I have been for a while…I love it, gives me strength and helps me put on lean mass…

Along with tuna and protein powders, it is pretty hard to find such a cheap source of protein. If you’re on a budget and if you can tolerate it, experiment.

Damn. I can’t drink milk and have cut out ALL dairy. I feel incredible. I’m looking for a non-dairy protein powder that has a lot of protein. Any suggestions?

I dont see wahy you would drink a gallon of milk paer day when steak is much yummier and much more anabolic.

[quote]The Austrian Oak wrote:
Damn. I can’t drink milk and have cut out ALL dairy. I feel incredible. I’m looking for a non-dairy protein powder that has a lot of protein. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Sorry, I only know of non-dairy protein powders that are low in protein. These include egg (whole and white), soy, rice, hemp, and pea proteins.

Any reason why you don’t want to make use of milk proteins?

[quote]anonym wrote:

Damn. I can’t drink milk and have cut out ALL dairy. I feel incredible. I’m looking for a non-dairy protein powder that has a lot of protein. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Sorry, I only know of non-dairy protein powders that are low in protein. These include egg (whole and white), soy, rice, hemp, and pea proteins.

Any reason why you don’t want to make use of milk proteins?[/quote]

I don’t eat any dairy at all. Only eggs, if you consider them to be dairy.

I dropped all dairy, oatmeal, wheat and alcohol because I am trying to eat as healthy as possible right now.

[quote]anonym wrote:

Any reason why you don’t want to make use of milk proteins?[/quote]

I don’t eat any dairy at all. Only eggs, if you consider them to be dairy.

I dropped all dairy, oatmeal, wheat and alcohol because I am trying to eat as healthy as possible right now.
[/quote]

The following doesn’t apply if you are at the stage of lactose intolerance where even lactase enzymes are no help, but…

If in pursuit of health, you have dropped whey and casein protein powders because they are dairy derivatives, you are doing something horribly wrong.