Experience with Mass Made Simple?

Bought the book. Going to run the 6 week program. Just curious if any of you fellas have run it. Results? How did you like it?

I’ve never heard of it so I used Google and read some articles. Sounds like an interesting read. What does the six week program consist of?

Basically same workout every 3rd day. Reps and weight changes.

Mobility work “warm up”
Bench
1 arm shoulder press
batwings
Fullbody complexes
High rep squats. “Up to 50 at times”
I might have left out something but that’s roughly it.

The book explains and lays everything out from 1st workout till last one.

Never run it myself, but I have loved all the things I’ve followed from Dan John. I think his practical and holistic approach to lifting and life is really great if you want to lift and move well for a long time.

The book was easy to read and the program looks simple to follow. It’s all laid out workout by workout. I need that because sometimes my brain gets in the way. I start a program and a month later it’s something completely different. This routine looks simple on paper but I can see the pain after couple of weeks. Squatting any real weight to 50 is a killer. And barbell complexes are new to me.

I think everyone should run the program at least once. What you learn from it, if you do it correctly, will impact the rest of you lifting life. To get the most from it, do it exactly as written, including nutritional advice.

Did it 2.5 years ago. (Re)gained a lot of weight while doing it. You will DREAD the workouts after the third week but you will be proud of yourself for having done it. I wasn’t able to finish the last two workouts since I pinched a nerve in my traps and had a massive headache for days - but it’s an awesome program if you can dedicate six weeks to eating and sleeping.

I have never done complexes before. How did you all feel about them? Effective?

[quote]kurtisj246 wrote:
I have never done complexes before. How did you all feel about them? Effective?
[/quote]

Insanely so. I use them more for fatloss now, since the metabolic hit is out of this world. Bu yes,they are probably the best thing people aren’t doing.

I’m thinking I will make it an 8 week program doing the first 2 weeks twice just to get in the flow of it. I have never squatted much before so I know that will be my weekpoint. That’s mainly why I chose this routine so I would be forced to squat more. The 2 extra weeks should also help me get a good feel for the complexes. Does this sound like a good idea?

i used barbell and dumbbell complexes for over a year in the past.

they made me lose significant amount of bodyfat without any major change in my diet.

i had completely forgotten about them, thanks for reminding me.

i am planning to be in the best shape of my life this summer so i will start doing them again soon.

below is my favorite barbell complex. 8 reps of each, as fast as possible.

front squat
military press
back squat
good morning
barbell curl

[quote]kurtisj246 wrote:
I’m thinking I will make it an 8 week program doing the first 2 weeks twice just to get in the flow of it. I have never squatted much before so I know that will be my weekpoint. That’s mainly why I chose this routine so I would be forced to squat more. The 2 extra weeks should also help me get a good feel for the complexes. Does this sound like a good idea? [/quote]

If squatting is a week point, do the squat introduction program outlined in the book. As a pure coincidence, I believe this lasts about 2 weeks.

EDIT: I checked and the squat 101 program listed in the book is 6 weeks.

The 6 week squat intro did cross my mind to do. Something to think about.

That seems effective. The more I look into them the better they seem. I’ve just never seen anyone doing them in the gymn. Wonder why?

[quote]kurtisj246 wrote:
That seems effective. The more I look into them the better they seem. I’ve just never seen anyone doing them in the gymn. Wonder why?[/quote]

I would imagine it’s the same reason you rarely see anyone doing 20-rep squat sets or heavy good mornings or the like. Because it’s difficult and it doesn’t give your guns a good pump.

The hardest workout program I’ve ever done.

The squats at the end. Jesus.

3rd week in, you’ll be begging for mercy.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:
3rd week in, you’ll be begging for mercy.[/quote]

I believe I ended one of the sessions with a circuit of crying, sitting on the floor and looking angry.

1 Like

The most effective mass program I’ve ever done.

The 8 rep complex made me hate life so hard. I think it was:

BB row x 8
Hang clean x 8
Front squat x 8
OH press x 8
Back squat x 8
Good morning x 8

Thats a set of 48 reps.

Started running it for the 2nd time this week, last ran it 8 months ago, loved it and hated it in equal measures, like has been commented, after week 3its bloody hard but you feel epic after each workout. I’d be tempted to just run it as laid out as I don’t think that you need to repeat the first week to get in the groove. I’d also suggest keeping as strictly as possible to the nutritional advice and Dan John’s advice on cod/fish oils.

Wont the curls severely limit the weight you could use? Why not try supinated rows. This way you can get more tut with heavier load and still hit the biceps!