Experience with Deadlifts?

Hello, everyone there is something that has been worrying me a recently about my deadlifts I been deadlifting for about a year now and it became my favorite lift I deadlift once a week heavy I have a pretty soild form, nuetral spine/farily low hips my form is on point but everytime after deadlift workouts i go home and my back is not in pain but it certainly doesn’t feel right. My lower back is just tight/ bending down to get something is a task after deadlifts is having a little pain okay?

I asked my friends how they felt after deadlifts they told me they felt very tierd and beat down. Is how I’m feeling normal? How do you guys feel after your heavy deadlifts workout, I would really appreciate your feedbacks thanks guys!

You should post a video.

But after a heavy deadlift workout my back is tight and I feel like an old man bending over to get stuff. Sometimes it takes 2-3 days to recover. Heavy, they are very taxing to the body.

Sounds like DOMS in the spinal erectors, which should be normal if you’re deadlifting conventional. I agree that posting a video would help us determine if you’re doing something wrong (i.e., hinging at the lower spine instead of at the hips).

I’ve been deadlifting for 34 years now and rarely get sore or tight even on heavy days. But I do remember getting sore and tight when I was younger. Maybe why you’re so sore and having difficulty bending down is it’s because your muscles are tearing down and growing at a lot faster rate than an old guy like mine does?

Probably just need to do more or different recovery work, if it isnt like “oh shit i cant get out of bed pain” you should be ok. Whats helped me is doing like 50 hanging knee raises at the end of a heavy DL day, seems to loosen everything up a little bit.

I do get similar “problems” from time to time after doing deadlifts. It is definitely more often after doing conventional deadliftings. Sumo deadlifts don’t seem to stress my lower back that much. Then again this might be because I am not used to doing conventional deadlifts anymore and don’t practice the motor pattern of it that often or my form isn’t as good as sumo because I’m practicing sumo more often. I have been injured in my lower back area before (sports, car accident and a bit from lifting). So as long as it is only a certain degree of stiffness and no real pain I wouldn’t be concerned (personally).

Perhaps mobility, perhaps poor form, perhaps too heavy, perhaps nothing.

Post a vid.

[quote]Slomo wrote:
I’ve been deadlifting for 34 years now [/quote]

Dang. That’s badass. Can I ask how old you are now, and how you feel generally?

I’m focused on long term health and long term strength/vitality and reading that someone has been deadlifting for 34 years blows my mind.

Personally, most lower back tightness after deads is a result of tight hip flexors/glutes. I always make sure to emphasis a forward lunging stretch and pigeon pose afterwards.

[quote]knobby22 wrote:

[quote]Slomo wrote:
I’ve been deadlifting for 34 years now [/quote]

Dang. That’s badass. Can I ask how old you are now, and how you feel generally?

I’m focused on long term health and long term strength/vitality and reading that someone has been deadlifting for 34 years blows my mind.[/quote]

Knobby, over all I feel worn out and tired all the time honestly lol but that’s probably because I usually only get 4hrs sleep per night due to my work schedule and my kids’ school schedule. I’m 47 and have two children that I get up each morning to drive to school.
Healthwise, the only real problem I have at the moment is a bad right shoulder. I’ve had it for 3 years now and sooner or later i’ll need to go see the doc.
I broke my back in 1990 and believe it or not have had zero problems or pain with it. I’ve had two full pectoral tears within the last two years but I seem to have healed fine. My hips, knees and elbows are chronically sore, but I put that down to arthritis and age.
How old are you and how do you feel? Are you having to battle any injuries/pain when you lift?

4 6 mm Disc herniations, L3-4 and 4/5. Also C 4-5, 5-6. I Absolutely LOVE the deadlift !
I do 3 minutes of foam rolling before I start and then do 15-30 second hangs between sets.
My first excercise is Glute Ham Raises (yeah, bought one!) then into the deads.

I find I stay a little more supple and have less Doms when I train this way.
The same goes for my squat days. I Squat twice per week (heavy day, speed day)
and Deadlift heavy every two weeks and lift 70-75% the other two weeks.

Sometimes I will hit the Jacuzzi before the Rolling. I found in 1995-1996 while working with the
US Olympic Sculling team, if I poach a body before I work on it…the massage and stretching work even better.

Oh, and I am 47 years old ; )