Experience with Accutane?

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:
After reading a couple other discussions on here, I’ve decided to start taking vit. B5 and fish oil while eating clean again and washing my sheets/pillowcase weekly. If after a month, I don’t have significant changes. I’m going to ask my derm for a low dose of accutane. I read on pubmed of studies that said that a long term (5-7months) low dose (10-20mg/daily) had just as good results for moderate acne as the higher dose but with much fewer side effects.

I figure if accutane is the last resort, I should do it as safely as possible. I’d also pick up liver support, joint support, and more fish oil while taking it to minimize ANY sides I do get.

Anyone have their derm prescribe a low dose instead of the high (60-80mg) I’m reading most people taking?[/quote]

Listen to me bro go to Acne.org… Watch the video on the front page try that as welll.

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:
After reading a couple other discussions on here, I’ve decided to start taking vit. B5 and fish oil while eating clean again and washing my sheets/pillowcase weekly. If after a month, I don’t have significant changes. I’m going to ask my derm for a low dose of accutane. I read on pubmed of studies that said that a long term (5-7months) low dose (10-20mg/daily) had just as good results for moderate acne as the higher dose but with much fewer side effects.

I figure if accutane is the last resort, I should do it as safely as possible. I’d also pick up liver support, joint support, and more fish oil while taking it to minimize ANY sides I do get.

Anyone have their derm prescribe a low dose instead of the high (60-80mg) I’m reading most people taking?[/quote]

Listen to me bro go to Acne.org… Watch the video on the front page try that as welll.[/quote]

I’ve tried Dan’s regimen for ~3 years or so before looking into any prescriptions. Still use their products occasionally, and it definitely improved (it used to be much worse when I was a teenager), but I still had some cystic acne and it was by no means a solution. I’d recommend acne.org over the proactiv hype any day though.

Don’t take accutane. I took it back when I was in 8th grade, before they found out how bad it is for kids. I had horrible pain in my joints from this stuff. I was unable to run or swim, swam competitively for years. Once I finished taking it all of the pain went away, and was able to swim again. I now have joint issues, and some doctors have thought it was from taking accutane. Apparently it doesn’t just dry out your skin, it affects your joints also. If you do some reading that is why they no longer prescribe this for kids, it can permanently damage growth plates. Yes it completely cleared my acne, and it never returned. Was it worth it, I don’t think so.

Just my .02

I had two older brothers who were on Accutane as teenagers - now both of them suffer from colitis - me and my younger brother were not on the stuff, and have no bowel issues - I think it is related.

I took it when I was 17. Face cleared. Month after I finished my acne came back so I went back on after a few months break and did another cycle of it. It’s been 4 years and I’ve probably had 3-4 pimples in total. Best decision of my life

Very polarizing opinions. Some people say it’s the best decision they’ve ever made, others say avoid at all costs. Question for those with negative experiences. What was your dosing like?

http://www.T-Nation.com/searchResults.jsp?cx=016420786931182441572%3Akswwmllusns&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=accutane+&sa=&siteurl=tnation.T-Nation.com%2Ffree_online_forum%2Fmusic_movies_girls_life%2Fanyone_have_experience_with_accutane%3Fid%3D5597424%26pageNo%3D0&ref=tnation.T-Nation.com%2Ffree_online_forum%2Fmusic_movies_girls_life%2Fanyone_have_experience_with_accutane%3Fid%3D5597424%26pageNo%3D1&ss=2275j1234649j9

I was an early starter, had my first zits in 5th grade till 9th. Started using accutane in 9th and only had to do one 6 month cycle. It dried my skin out very bad, almost not even worth taking the stuff. It did make my elbows and knees kind of uncomfortable. I’m very glad I did it though, I’ve had 5> zits on my face since then…they somewhat came back on my back.

EDIT: I have a buddy who had to do 3 cycles and it still didn’t take care of it.