Experience with Accutane?

I’ve been on Retin A for the last year, and saw initial improvement, but then that tapered off. I’m considering starting accutane as it seems it’s my last option and a lot of people seem to have luck with it when all else fails. (I’ve tried improving my diet, stress levels, and every other ‘cause’ of acne with no real change).

I’m mainly concerned with accutane drying out my joints. Maybe Fish Oil + MSM/Glucosamine would help with that.

Anyone have any experiences

I’ve heard many people talk about it and they had VERY bad experiences with it. As in suicidal thoughts etc but experience is very subjective to the individual. I think many here have expressed their concern with “Do not EVER take”.

However, my opinions do not matter much as I have never taken it.

How old are you OP? I’m guessing the 89 in your username refers to your birth year so 23-24?

I had really bad skin as a teenager and was on accutane. My skin went completely clear for about 8 months, and then my acne came back.

I switched dermatologists and asked the new one about an accutane prescription. He was not going to prescribe it under any circumstances. He was definitely under the assumption that the risk/reward was not worth it.

Anyways, much like you, it was really my last option as I had tried everything else in the book.

I think a lot of people have good success with it, but it’s definitely something you need to discuss with your dermatologist.

It’s a super powerful drug and needs to be treated as such. There are always risks associated.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
I’ve heard many people talk about it and they had VERY bad experiences with it. As in suicidal thoughts etc but experience is very subjective to the individual. I think many here have expressed their concern with “Do not EVER take”.

However, my opinions do not matter much as I have never taken it.

How old are you OP? I’m guessing the 89 in your username refers to your birth year so 23-24?[/quote]

yup 1989. Depression I could handle. And as far as I’ve read, after 3 mo. of use, you can stop and have acne taken care of from then on (within reason).

Definitely a lot of sides to consider though

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
I had really bad skin as a teenager and was on accutane. My skin went completely clear for about 8 months, and then my acne came back.

[…]
Anyways, much like you, it was really my last option as I had tried everything else in the book.
[/quote]

Did you find a solution after it came back or did you grow out of it eventually? Like I said, I’m on Retin-A now with no sides (peeling, sunburns, etc) which is basically a topical accutane. It’s frustrating as hell especially because after 3mo. of using it, all my acne was cleared until this past winter. Now for the last few months nothing shows any improvement regardless of what I change (sleep, stress management, diet – have tried eliminating all processed foods and sugars for a month, etc).

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:

Depression I could handle…

Definitely a lot of sides to consider though[/quote]

I do not think you ever have had depression or what suicidal thoughts are like (take from me I have been there). But we are different people and you might be able to handle it but its a common side-effect.

Just gather as much information as you can about it to make the best educated decision. Like the other poster has said it is a strong last resort drug. All the best of luck!

Have you tried this? I have heard it works wonders.

I had bad skin in High School, and still have oily skin, but the acne and blackheads stopped happening after about 30. I started taking vitamin D, and a multi vitamin, and it started to look better. I still use clinique facial soap every day.

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:

[quote]Anonymity wrote:

[…]
[/quote]

Did you find a solution after it came back or did you grow out of it eventually? Like I said, I’m on Retin-A now with no sides (peeling, sunburns, etc) which is basically a topical accutane. It’s frustrating as hell especially because after 3mo. of using it, all my acne was cleared until this past winter. Now for the last few months nothing shows any improvement regardless of what I change (sleep, stress management, diet – have tried eliminating all processed foods and sugars for a month, etc). [/quote]

I’ve done Retin-A, I also tried UV light treatment as well which seemed to work on a temporary basis. I’ve tried a gluten free diet and a sugarless diet and all the creams you can imagine.

I know this isn’t the answer you want to hear but the only thing that got rid of my acne was time and lots and lots of soap.

Try n-lite laser treatment. Had bad cystic acne up until the age of 25. It worked wonders for me.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Have you tried this? I have heard it works wonders.

I had bad skin in High School, and still have oily skin, but the acne and blackheads stopped happening after about 30. I started taking vitamin D, and a multi vitamin, and it started to look better. I still use clinique facial soap every day.[/quote]

Sorry man, but proactiv is a joke unless you have very very mild acne. But to answer your question, I’ve tried their main ingredient (benzoyl peroxide for years before with little success).

I’ve heard vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) has given some people success with much milder symptoms than accutane. They used a ridiculous dosage in that experiment however…

you know check it out acne.org, alot of the stuff they have on there seems so simple and you think you do it but if you look closely at how you try to treat your acne you realize you are doing it wrong, check it out.

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:

I do not think you ever have had depression or what suicidal thoughts are like (take from me I have been there). But we are different people and you might be able to handle it but its a common side-effect.

Just gather as much information as you can about it to make the best educated decision. Like the other poster has said it is a strong last resort drug. All the best of luck![/quote]

Depression he could handle…

Yeah sure, because if there is one thing that defines depression it is a happy, go getter attitude…

Oh Jesus…

If he could “handle” it, it would not be a depression.

I had tried pretty much everything before finally being put on accutane and I would say it is a decision I do not regret in the slightest. It got rid of all my acne in 5 months, although the first month my acne did breakout worse before it slowly got better. Not only was acne frustrating just because it obviously doesn’t look good, but my worse problems were on my back and shoulders and they would open up most nights or if people tapped me on the shoulder.

I personally had no side effects such as joint problems or depression, though no harm in taking fish oil anyway for general health. Only side effect was massively bad dry skin. I needed to moisturise a lot and always carry vaseline for my lips otherwise my lips cracked. I knew dry skin was a side effect, but it was a lot worse than I realised. Now I have no acne on my body, despite quite a lot of scarring and my face is pretty much clear. I occasionally get very very mild acne on my face, but very rarely and that can now be treated with over the counter products. If you have tried a lot of other options I would recommend it, because it is the only thing that worked for me and 5 months on it has been a long term solution as well.

I had a great experience with it. Put “accutane journal” in the searchbox for my thread

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:

Just gather as much information as you can about it to make the best educated decision. Like the other poster has said it is a strong last resort drug. All the best of luck![/quote]

Yeah sure, because if there is one thing that defines depression it is a happy, go getter attitude…

Oh Jesus…

If he could “handle” it, it would not be a depression. [/quote]

That’s fair to say. I just meant, 3 months of a mild depression could be worth lifting the dark cloud that’s hovered over me since I was a kid.

After reading a couple other discussions on here, I’ve decided to start taking vit. B5 and fish oil while eating clean again and washing my sheets/pillowcase weekly. If after a month, I don’t have significant changes. I’m going to ask my derm for a low dose of accutane. I read on pubmed of studies that said that a long term (5-7months) low dose (10-20mg/daily) had just as good results for moderate acne as the higher dose but with much fewer side effects.

I figure if accutane is the last resort, I should do it as safely as possible. I’d also pick up liver support, joint support, and more fish oil while taking it to minimize ANY sides I do get.

Anyone have their derm prescribe a low dose instead of the high (60-80mg) I’m reading most people taking?

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:

Oh Jesus…

If he could “handle” it, it would not be a depression. [/quote]

That’s fair to say. I just meant, 3 months of a mild depression could be worth lifting the dark cloud that’s hovered over me since I was a kid.[/quote]

Yeah, well, if that is a its shitty either way kind of deal for you…

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:
After reading a couple other discussions on here, I’ve decided to start taking vit. B5 and fish oil while eating clean again and washing my sheets/pillowcase weekly. If after a month, I don’t have significant changes. I’m going to ask my derm for a low dose of accutane. I read on pubmed of studies that said that a long term (5-7months) low dose (10-20mg/daily) had just as good results for moderate acne as the higher dose but with much fewer side effects.

I figure if accutane is the last resort, I should do it as safely as possible. I’d also pick up liver support, joint support, and more fish oil while taking it to minimize ANY sides I do get.

Anyone have their derm prescribe a low dose instead of the high (60-80mg) I’m reading most people taking?[/quote]

I’m taking the 80mg dose and have had none of the side affects. Mine was prescribed to clear up a rash that developed not acne.

Been on it three months now, the main thing I notice is the high triglycerides in my bloodwork. But the depression or anything else has not been an issue.

Try eliminating Dairy and take Lactase/dairy enzymes with any meal that has trace amounts. Dairy is the no.1 nutritonal trigger IMO.

drinking the juice of a whole lemon squeezed into a litre+ of water is also surprisingly helpful, done on an empty stomach.

A shitton of green veggies helps a bit.

Watch out for touching you face without realising it and wash your hands frequently.

Don’t go to bed with dirty hair.

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:

Anyone have their derm prescribe a low dose instead of the high (60-80mg) I’m reading most people taking?[/quote]

Only you will know how bad your acne is and whether it is worth taking accutane. As I say for some people it is only option, I tried eliminating foods, different prescription products but they made minimal difference. Most people who take it have had very few side effects other than dry skin. If I was you I would always take the dermatologist recommendation on dosage as he put me on 100mg from the start, but I had to be checked upon every month (with no problems). As I mentioned before that turned out to be a long term solution. Whichever solution you go down, good luck with it, I know how frustrating it can be.