T Nation

Experience Off Anabolic Diet

First off I’d just like to say that this is an idea that sifuinkorea, myself, and a couple other guys on the “My Experience on the Anabolic Diet” thread came up with.

Sifuinkorea, myself, possibly Ovalpine, and whoever else wants to join in who was on the AD will be posting here regularly with our experiences in modifying the Anabolic Diet to our personal needs. I would also just like to say that anyone currently on the AD can post their experiences that they are going through along with us if they’d like.

We have found that the basic Anabolic Diet does not work as well for us as with certain tweaks to it that we make. But many of these tweaks are so major that they basically change the entire foundation of the diet. Therefore, we could not do this on the AD thread since we’re not really on that diet anymore, so we’ve decided to start a new one.

All of our experiences with the diet, exercises we are doing, and measurements will be posted here at the start and regularly so that the affects and changes we are going through can be seen chronologically.

Lastly, anything we are doing is open for discussion. So feel free to make comments or ask questions.

Ok, so an introduction is required:

6’2"
230lbs
15% BF - ??

I have an idea of where my max lifts are but I’ll post them as they come up in my workouts. I am a former powerlifter who is plagued by nagging injuries (my knees and shoulders are fucked). My present training philosophy is one fashioned after the Crossfit model - random, functional, and intense - so you’ll see this in my diary. I am undisciplined when it comes to eating but we’ll see where posting my intake leads.

I’m planning to follow a low-carb diet most of the time with carb meals consumed periodically, and depending on what I’m doing. I am heading to a selection course in JAN that is highly physical and will be on leave for the month prior. At the end of everyday I’l post both my food and work for that day trying to be as accurate as possible. I’m 14 hours ahead of EST, if that makes a difference to anyone.

My intention is to record my own performance, since I have never did so in over 15 years, and to learn from and explore the effects of certain eating and training patterns of others.

Good luck! I’m off to the gym.

SK

Well to start off, instead of doing carb loads every week, I will be doing one every other week. However, on saturday or sunday during the off carbload week I will be having a single meal of carbs not going over 100g.

Also, rather than the normal 30g of carbs per day, I will be putting my max at 20g per day, excluding fiber. Less being acceptable as well, but no more than 20g.

I’m also putting a limit on the amount of sugar that can make up those carbs. No more than 3g of sugar per day, unless somehow it comes from a vegetable.

Also, no sugar alcohols or any sugar substitutes at all during weekdays, but on the weekend I am allowing myself a drink that may have a sugar substitute (the reason for this is because I’m not sure if those can be used as alternate sources of energy, some say they can and other can’t, better just not to risk it.)

My diet will consist of 45-55% fat, the rest protein, and then the 20g or less carbs.

My goal here is to see how much fat I can lose in three months. After that I will see if I need to lose any more fat or whether I want to gain muscle or just maintain.

Coming up I’ll share my exercise plan along with my current measurements. And also how I’m going to be planning my carbups.

Feel free to comment too if you have any suggestions… cuz its not set in stone =).

-Bizmark

Not a criticism of what you’re doing here at all. I’m glad you’re posting about your tweaks. But is it really not AD anymore? In the Anabolic Solution, Dr. D recommends tweaking the diet and finding out what works best for you (after you’ve been adapted and on for a while.)

[quote]Warrior Spirit wrote:
Not a criticism of what you’re doing here at all. I’m glad you’re posting about your tweaks. But is it really not AD anymore? In the Anabolic Solution, Dr. D recommends tweaking the diet and finding out what works best for you (after you’ve been adapted and on for a while.) [/quote]

Yeah I was thinking that too. But we discussed it with some other guys on the AD and they agreed that we should make another thread.

I believe that sifuinkorea is taking extremely long periods in between carbloads. So really thats not the AD anymore. Plus I may start minicarbloads more frequent after the three months of seeing how much fat I can lose. Possibly every 4 days a carb meal or something along those lines.

We are just trying different stuff out. And alot of it is different from the AD.

I’ve also been on an AD inspired diet that’s really not the AD anymore. I eat more carbs than allowed, since my green veggie intake is quite high, so my carbs are probably closer to 50 grams a day.

I don’t eat quite as high fat, though I am conscious of keeping my fat levels higher than I’ve done in the past (it’s so tempting and easy to cut fat when dieting to lower calories and still get meals that have some volume).

I do try to get a balance of saturated, mono and omega 3 poly fats, but I’m not eating loads of red meat, cheese, and ‘classic’ AD style foods. Mainly whole eggs, fatty fish, chicken, olive oil, lecithin, stuff like that.

I’m doing weekend carbs, but just trying to keep refeeds sane and minimal. Carbs come from low GI grains and fruits, and some yogurt. Beans occassionally. No junk at all.

Anyway, I’ll be peeking in on this thread if I get a chance. I think the separate thread is a good idea.

[quote]Jinx Me wrote:
I’ve also been on an AD inspired diet that’s really not the AD anymore. I eat more carbs than allowed, since my green veggie intake is quite high, so my carbs are probably closer to 50 grams a day.

I don’t eat quite as high fat, though I am conscious of keeping my fat levels higher than I’ve done in the past (it’s so tempting and easy to cut fat when dieting to lower calories and still get meals that have some volume).

I do try to get a balance of saturated, mono and omega 3 poly fats, but I’m not eating loads of red meat, cheese, and ‘classic’ AD style foods. Mainly whole eggs, fatty fish, chicken, olive oil, lecithin, stuff like that.

I’m doing weekend carbs, but just trying to keep refeeds sane and minimal. Carbs come from low GI grains and fruits, and some yogurt. Beans occassionally. No junk at all.

Anyway, I’ll be peeking in on this thread if I get a chance. I think the separate thread is a good idea. [/quote]

Thanx for the support Jinx. What made you decide to change from the basic AD?

ok…

SUN 26 NOV:

coffee with cream (I’m sure there was sugar in the cream - I can’t read Korean)

3 eggs + 1/2 can clams fried w/butter and o/oil

12oz can of tuna w/lots of mayo

2 handfuls of walnuts

drank about 4 diet cokes today (what is it about diet cokes? good/bad?)

I eat when I’m hungry and never really sit down to a formal meal so I’ll just list food as eaten.

1600hrs:

warm up:
BW squats x 50
OH squats x 3 x 5
Front squats x 3 x 5
Power cleans x 3 x 5
Snatch grip deadlifts x 3 x 5

work:
225 lb deadlift
185 lb bench press
BW pull ups
205 lb squat
135 lb hang power cleans

for 21, 15, 9, 5 reps; plow through for time - 'cept I forgot to start the clock, maybe 35 min or so

As for my dietary plan: I’n not sure where I’m going to. I’m definitely not going to carb load, as prescribed, but I’ll probably eat a carb meal every other day or so for my last meal. I hate to weigh and count so I’ll just average it out and post it.

The workout although a smoker, I’m used to working like that but I felt kinda lightheaded - as if I did not have enough energy. Looking back as to what I ate the last two days, it was not enough to support that load. I’ll eat more today and probably go on a boot run for 3mi or so followed by some sprint work.

SK

I’m really interested in this thread and I’ll keep an eye on it, perhaps joining it later. I’ve been on the AD for about 8 months excluding two separate two week periods of excess being off it, one of them due to me moving back from Germany. The problem I’ve had is that it hasn’t worked for me as well as I’d hoped for shedding fat. I do enjoy the eating plan a lot, and in fairness my strength has always stayed constant or slightly increased while trying to cut, but the results just haven’t been there like I’d hoped. Maybe some of your ideas would be applicable to my situation–less frequent carb loads has certainly crossed my mind and I’m eager to hear why and how you’ve made those changes.

Ok so heres my current stats.

Weight: 205
Height: 6’5"
Bench Press: 225 X 5 (not sure about max)
Squat: Not as much as bench press, it
needs work, lol
Deadlift: 250 X 8 (not sure about max)
Bf%: Calipers say 13.5%

Workout:

Workout A

Deadlift (back)
Cable Crossover (chest)
Front Lat Pulldown(back)
incline dumbbell press (chest)
upright row (delts)
dumbbell curls
dumbbell overhead tricep extensions

Workout B

Incline Leg press
Leg Curls
calf machine
hanging leg raise
oblique twist machine
the ab roller (i love that thing)

On workout B days I’m also doing 30 minutes of cardio after the workout.

So thats it. Any suggestions? I’m also trying to get down to about 8% bf. Then from there I’ll see whether I want to add muscle or cut some more.

[quote]Bizmark wrote:
Ok so heres my current stats.

Weight: 205
Height: 6’5"
Bench Press: 225 X 5 (not sure about max)
Squat: Not as much as bench press, it
needs work, lol
Deadlift: 250 X 8 (not sure about max)
Bf%: Calipers say 13.5%

Workout:

Workout A

Deadlift (back)
Cable Crossover (chest)
Front Lat Pulldown(back)
incline dumbbell press (chest)
upright row (delts)
dumbbell curls
dumbbell overhead tricep extensions

Workout B

Incline Leg press
Leg Curls
calf machine
hanging leg raise
oblique twist machine
the ab roller (i love that thing)

On workout B days I’m also doing 30 minutes of cardio after the workout.

So thats it. Any suggestions? I’m also trying to get down to about 8% bf. Then from there I’ll see whether I want to add muscle or cut some more. [/quote]

Biz…
How often do you train each workout? Do they ever change? What do you do for the 30min of cardio?

I believe in more of a whole body and functional routine so I may not be the best to take advise from.

[quote]sifuinkorea wrote:

Biz…
How often do you train each workout? Do they ever change? What do you do for the 30min of cardio?

I believe in more of a whole body and functional routine so I may not be the best to take advise from.

[/quote]

I train both workout A and B twice a week. And for the cardio I do 10 minutes HIIT and then 20minutes just continued running. Not sure if I’m overtraining or not on those workouts. But I’ve gotten stronger from doing it like that before.

EDIT: Oh and I also change up the exercises I do once a month. But I’m not going to be changing these until January.

So, today I used about 30g carbs, I think a little less. I put them all into my food log program that I have and it says 24g carbs, but I’m positive that there must have been more. So I think I’m at around 30. Which is not my goal, so I have to get more strict tomorrow.

I plan on having 4oz of spinach during my first 3 meals of the day. And thats it for carbs. I don’t take a protein shake anymore because its pretty much not needed. (Atleast until Zero Carb Isopure is marked down UBERLY low at my GNC… we are doing stock clearance, hehehe, i cant wait. A $69.99 retail price knocked down to $4, its gonna be wonderful.

Also I was unable to workout today because I have to write an 8 page paper on video games thats due tomorrow. Yes Im a procrastinator, and I know its 9:45 right now and I’m only on page 4. But I will get it done… lol.

Anyway, hopefully I can get to sleep by 12:00 so that I can have a good workout tomorrow after my 2 classes. So back to the paper for me…

Oh almost forgot, heres my ratios for today.

Fat: 166.3g --------63%
Protein: 192.4g ----33%
Carbs: 26.4g --------4%

Total Calories: 2347kcal

Wasn’t feeling to hungry so I didn’t eat that much.

Just wanted to check in with you guys. As I mentioned on the other thread, I’m switching to a 4 day low carb, one meal carb up (last meal of the day on the 4th day) plan. And, being that it has been 4 days since Thanksgiving, I took that carb up meal about an hour ago, after a marathon 2 hour workout.

Interestingly enough, I just can’t get enough Thanksgiving. I made a massive serving of stuffing, totalling about 140 grams of carbs (560 calories) and 44 grams of fat (about 400 calories) with about 24 grams of incidental protein (about 100 calories). Super satisfying. I had considered nixing the butter in the stuffing, but I’m just not so sure it matters so much with a one meal carb-up. I imagine I could’ve simply ate the stuffing w/o added fat, but…

I’m still getting fewer calories that my body will directly burn for energy than if I hadn’t had the carb-up. That is, 500 calories as opposed to a massive hamburger steak and a turkey sausage link that I usually plow through after such a workout (something like 750 calories). Let me know what your guys’ plans are in terms of refeeds and whatnot. Take care.

I’m behind:

MON 27NOV:

coffee w/cream - non sweet this time.

1lb hamburger
4 slices cheese
bacon
mayo

12oz tuna w/mayo
walnuts
cheese
4slices bread = 92g carbs

25 min boot run (@7:30 pace)
200m x 5

TUE 28NOV

coffee w/cream

1lb hambuger
4 slices cheese
mayo

1/2 cheese
12oz tuna w/mayo

2 handfuls walnuts
can spinach … minimal carbs.

REST DAY

I guess we only need to record our carb intakes as opposed to the whole menu?? Does anyone care? Prior to SAT, I went for about 20 days with negligible carbs, so SAT evening I had a pitcher of beer and dessert consisting of a thick bronwie and scoop of ice cream w/ my steak and salad. I didn’t go into a coma, but felt very relaxed. The next day I felt good but lightheaded in the gym. I think this was a result of eating too few calories cause my belly was full for hours after that meal. Monday I ate almost 100g of carbs due to a residual need from SAT, I guess.

I find that I can go for about 15 days or so with negligible carbs completely satisfied. At this time I get a craving for food - not carbs, but calories in general. I end up eating like 10 - 15,000 KCALS in two days with none coming from carbs. Maybe this is my cue to eat a carb meal that night, instead of gorging on meats and cheeses? That’s where I was last THUR and FRI.

I’m back eating nil carbs and planning on hitting the gym today for more hip and pull up work. Tomorrow I’ll be road marching with a heavy ruck for a couple of hours and FRI will see me on the track again. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

SK

As an aside, I think I feel better eating too many low-carb calories and working to burn them off rather than eating too few mod-carb calories with less work.

Any thoughts?

[quote]sifuinkorea wrote:
As an aside, I think I feel better eating too many low-carb calories and working to burn them off rather than eating too few mod-carb calories with less work.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Perhaps your body is craving healthy fats rather than the fats from cheeses? Its a possibility, I notice that when I eat cheese in place of EVOO or flax oil I tend to feel quite a bit hungrier and less fulfilled.

Well today was great. Check out these ratios.

Fat: 174.2g-----59%
Protein: 256g—39%
Carbs: 15.5g-----2%

Calories: 2657kcal

I also got a mediocre workout in today. I haven’t been taking my creatine for the last 4 days and I noticed the difference in this workout. I didn’t realize it till the end that I wasn’t getting the same amount of reps in, and then it hit me that I hadn’t taken creatine monohydrate in a while. Guess it does make a difference.

But all and all I was happy with today. Already noticing a decrease in bodyfat, my abs are showing more. Low carb works absolute wonders for me, I wish I would have known all this when I first started working out.

I have a couple friends who tried the low carb thing and they didn’t get as good results. So I’m thinking my body must be made for it or something, because I also notice that I am extremely insensitive to carbs (or is it sensitive?). Like I will start laying on fat IMMEDIATELY if I change my energy source from fats to carbs.

Thats why I’m doing these extended periods of time without carb loads in the first place.

Also… I know this is kinda gross but I have to bring it up… does anyone else who is on low carb notice that taking shits is wonderful now? It takes me like two minutes to be completely done and outa the bathroom. Maybe its just me.

[quote]Bizmark wrote:
sifuinkorea wrote:
As an aside, I think I feel better eating too many low-carb calories and working to burn them off rather than eating too few mod-carb calories with less work.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps your body is craving healthy fats rather than the fats from cheeses? Its a possibility, I notice that when I eat cheese in place of EVOO or flax oil I tend to feel quite a bit hungrier and less fulfilled.[/quote]

Bring me up to speed: what is EVOO?

I eat plenty of olive oil, just not these past few days, but you may have a point. What is the satisfying affect of healthy fats over unhealthy ones - and I’m assuming your talking unsat over sat???

You’ll see my diet change a bit due to me getting off my ass and to the market.

[quote]sifuinkorea wrote:

Bring me up to speed: what is EVOO?

I eat plenty of olive oil, just not these past few days, but you may have a point. What is the satisfying affect of healthy fats over unhealthy ones - and I’m assuming your talking unsat over sat???

You’ll see my diet change a bit due to me getting off my ass and to the market.

[/quote]

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil (took me a while to figure that out too =) )

And I don’t know what the satiating effects are, I just notice that I’m less hungry when I consume those oils over cheese. And yeah, I think its because those are unsaturated fats and the saturated fat is less healthy.

Also, I just have a grudge against milk products. So im biased.