Expensive Nutrition

I am surprised that some of you guys are paying so much for food (150 euro a week?). I live in Finland, which is an expensive country and no food is cheap. A Mcdonald’s big mac meal costs nearly 20$ for christs sake. To give you an idea of the prices, 1lb of ground beef, 10% fat costs like just under 4 euro, which is what… a bit over 5 bucks? 1 liter of skim milk costs 2.5 dollars (about). A pack of plain 15 eggs costs 3 dollars.

My weekly bill is still only around 50-60 euros. What are the prices like where you live? What kind of stuff are you buying?

When buying food you need to be as economical as possible.

1. Buy foods that are on discount
  2. Shop in the discount/inexpensive stores. You have Lidl in Germany right? I got one next door. Great place for cheap(er) food, so shop there.
  3. Buy frozen veggies in bulk: frozen green string beans, frozen broccoli, frozen red peppers, etc. Not as sexy as fresh but its usually cheaper and keeps for longer.
  4. Buy the cheaper, fattier meats. Buy ground pork instead of beef. Again, not as sexy or healthy as buying steak or 95% ground beef, but you need to do what you can in order to just GET ENOUGH FOOD to grow.
  5. Buy olive oil jugs and take shots of it with meals to gain weight. It will probably be cheaper than junk food in terms of calories=money ratio.
  6. For carbs, either buy those 1 euro shitty micro wave pizzas that are full or preservatives, or buy raw oats in bulk. I get my oats or 1 euro a kg. How much is it there?

Here’s some tips. Hopefully they’ll help. As a fellow European, I know how frustrating the food prices can be.

[quote]Just_Matt wrote:
Meat prices in the US are cheaper than most countries.
Ground beef in Germany is almost 2x US price
Chicken is 3x.

Looking at some of those prices is really interesting. Dozen eggs for a dollar in Arkansas! 1lb white rice for under a dollar in Portland! I gotta get out of Europe lol.

[quote]Terrax wrote:
1 liter of skim milk costs 2.5 dollars (about).[/quote]

That is 0.27 gallons (just looked it up).

Bodybuilder, are you fed up with high food prices, do you eat like a tank, do you need 400gram of protein a day? Come to Poland!! Our gyms and butchers are waiting for YOU!!

2 pounds of grass-fed free range beef (thats over 200grams of protein) - 5 u.s. dollarski. our cows are raised on beautiful plains listening to Chopin. they live a happy, simple live unknowing modern deseases or stress.

A gallon of fat, sweet, fresh, raw milk cost 2 greenbacks.

Want more?

2 pounds of apples - half a buck

30 pounds of white potatoes - 2 dollars.

Come to our country! Lift polish weigths, eat polish food, adore, love and desire polish women.

Our borders are free! We invite You!

I’ve heard good things about Kraków…

[quote]timboo wrote:
Hey

I know the thread “bulking on a tight budget” but I already eat mostly cheap foods. (turkey,rice,cottage cheese, vegetables and nuts) Still I’m paying about 150 euro /200 dollar a week to maintain my bodyweight by eating 3400 kcal. I wonder whether this is normal because for a lot of people it would be way too much. So how much are you guys paying per week for your food and how much kcal do you eat?

• Timb[/quote]

Where are you shopping? Is there not an Aldi or Lidl near you?
Failing that then it’s time you take up fishing or hunting.