T Nation

Expanding Waistline

Despite a low bodyfat, regular exercise, cardio, ab work, clean diet…it seems like my waist is expaning. More specifically, my belly is starting to stick out. I have visible abs, but my stomach is not flat unless it’s flexed. Relaxed I look like I have a small beer gut.

It’s not a fat issue. Nothing is hanging over the belt, it’ just sticking out like a little pot-belly (especially the lower abs). I’m 36, is this an old age thing? No matter what I do I can’t get my stomach flat. My abs are rock hard, but they just stick out. Any suggestions?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1305014

Waterbury’s latest article is just for you!

I have the same thing too, I do little to no ab exercises as Zap is trying to point to as the culprit.

It just seems that heavy lifting, DL, Sqauts, OH presses and such that require you to support your frame by flexing your abs really really work them.

I don’t know how to reverse it or anything but I don’t mind it because my stomach is hard.

look at your posture, more then likely this is a contributing factore.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Despite a low bodyfat, regular exercise, cardio, ab work, clean diet…it seems like my waist is expaning. More specifically, my belly is starting to stick out. I have visible abs, but my stomach is not flat unless it’s flexed. Relaxed I look like I have a small beer gut.

It’s not a fat issue. Nothing is hanging over the belt, it’ just sticking out like a little pot-belly (especially the lower abs). I’m 36, is this an old age thing? No matter what I do I can’t get my stomach flat. My abs are rock hard, but they just stick out. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Sounds like you have visceral fat. Bad stuff. You might show up as having a low bodfat percentage with calipers, but calipers do not count the fat chillin below your abs and around your internal organs. So you’re bf% is likely NOT as low as you think it is.

[quote]PGJ wrote:

It’s not a fat issue. Nothing is hanging over the belt, it’ just sticking out like a little pot-belly (especially the lower abs). I’m 36, is this an old age thing? No matter what I do I can’t get my stomach flat. My abs are rock hard, but they just stick out. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I am close to your age so I am in the same boat. Partially age, but mainly knock off direct ab work. I have noticed the more I do abs the bigger my waist. You’ll get more than enough functional ab work from squats, deads, claens or what ever else. No matter what you size, every one has a six pack under the blubber. You don’t need ab work to show them off. That is what I am doing.

Yeah, you probably have no subq fat but a significant amoung of visceral fat.

Your profile says you’ve been training seriouisly for 3 years. Anything’s possible I suppose, but I have hard time believeing you would have much visceral fat at this point.

My first thought: How well is your digestive system working at the moment? It sounds to me like you’re backed up, especially with your description of the lower abs protruding. If you’re having trouble eliminating, this could definitely be a problem. Those detox packs you can buy at the suppliment shop work quite well in conjunction with the right diet.

[quote]PGJ wrote:

The question some of us have especially older, is there a systematic and repeatable method for tightening the “abdominal girdle”.

Tighten those lower front and side abdominal muscles so that they don’t stick out.

Tighten them so that during normal operation, you don’t have to think about pulling it in, that it is tight and stays that way.

A repeatable method for perhaps getting “tight” quickly, and a regular but less maintenance for keeping it.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Your profile says you’ve been training seriouisly for 3 years. Anything’s possible I suppose, but I have hard time believeing you would have much visceral fat at this point.[/quote]

By your logic, everyone who has been training hard for 3 years will not have much bodyfat. I guess Dave Tate, Dan John, and others weren’t training hard all those years.

After this stupid comment, nothing you ever say will matter.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
After this stupid comment, nothing you ever say will matter.[/quote]

Damn, you are one harsh grumpy bugger aren’t you. Does someone piss in your cheerios on a daily basis or what?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Your profile says you’ve been training seriouisly for 3 years. Anything’s possible I suppose, but I have hard time believeing you would have much visceral fat at this point.

By your logic, everyone who has been training hard for 3 years will not have much bodyfat. I guess Dave Tate, Dan John, and others weren’t training hard all those years.

After this stupid comment, nothing you ever say will matter.[/quote]

I think I said visceral fat of which I lost 8 inches in 6 months of serious training. I also said anything’s possible, meaning I was open to other information not being the very last word on every possible explanation.

i’ve found this is usually due to weak inner abdominal muscles. perform muscle vacuums and in a couple weeks you should see a huge improvement.

[quote]RagingBull wrote:
My first thought: How well is your digestive system working at the moment? It sounds to me like you’re backed up, especially with your description of the lower abs protruding. If you’re having trouble eliminating, this could definitely be a problem. Those detox packs you can buy at the suppliment shop work quite well in conjunction with the right diet.

[/quote]

This actually popped into my mind as well. I just started trying to gain weight and whenever I’m backed up it causes the same problem. My abs are gone, not to get graphic or anything, but after I am cleared they look normal again.

Someone else mentioned posture, which is another thing that I thought of. By any chance do you have tight hips?

Squat or deadlift much?

[quote]vroom wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
After this stupid comment, nothing you ever say will matter.

Damn, you are one harsh grumpy bugger aren’t you. Does someone piss in your cheerios on a daily basis or what?
[/quote]

So the comment I criticized was not stupid? Please, defend the assertion that anyone who has trained seriously for 3 years would not have visceral fat.

You won’t, because you can’t.

Sometimes a person says something so stupid that you will forever question everything that person says. The comment was so such stupid that’s it would be hard - if not impossible - to take seriously anything else the poster says.

Saying stupid things has consequences. Once consequence is losing all of your credibility.

Think before you type.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I think I said visceral fat of which I lost 8 inches in 6 months of serious training. I also said anything’s possible, meaning I was open to other information not being the very last word on every possible explanation.[/quote]

Here is what you said: “Your profile says you’ve been training seriouisly for 3 years. Anything’s possible I suppose, but I have hard time believeing you would have much visceral fat at this point.”

When you say, “Anything is possible,” what you’re really saying is, “It’s extremely unlike that anything but my explanation is the correct one.” Do I really need to explain to you “Anything is possible” is used in ordinary discourse?

That someone has trained hard for three years tells us nothing regarding whether that person has visceral fat.

cali law ill never listen to a work you say again because you are a pompous dickwad and a moron. thanks for coming out thou

[quote]devilBASTARDdog wrote:
Squat or deadlift much?[/quote]

I was but stopped because of some knee pain. The pain is going away so I’m thinking of starting them again.