Expand a Lung

Has anyone tried this thing,I am interested in increasing the strength and capacity of my lungs and breathing and am thinking about buying this thing.I cant even blow up ballons,I think I could benefit from this.I dont smoke and dont do much cardio but i do work in a dusty woodshop and I know over time my lungs and breathing will just get weaker.

http://www.expand-a-lung.com/index.html

That seems kind of annoying to have, like during wild movements such as sprints.
Has anyone tried a doctor’s mask with a mouth piece or some cloth inside the mask?

Seems like it would have almost the same effect.

i think you should buy it. and then let us know how it works. maybe try blowing up a balloon every couple of days and see if the thing helps you any.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Doesn’t this thing work on the inspiritory muscles, not the expiretory ones? At least my old version of something similar did (called the ‘powerbreathe’) did.

Either way, I don’t see how it will increase the actual capacity of your lungs. Also, if it does work the inspiritory muscles, under load, it will force you to recruit the accessory breathing muscles, which can lead to faulty breathing patterns. For example in the clinic, I have spent considerable time and effort trying to ‘reset’ a patients chest breathing habits to the correct abdominal pattern.

I certainly hope you wear a mask in the woodshop. You know the enzymes from wood, especially hardwood, will wreak havoc on your lungs in a big way.

BBB[/quote]

No I dont wear a mask and I know I should,I work in a part of the shop that is much less dusty but the guys around the saws wear the masks and most of them have allready had some breathing problems.

The lung tool works on breathing in and out.

Spend your holidays at a place with clean air, like at a noncrowded beach.

Try swimming. It’s great for strenghtening lungs.

And wear the damn mask. You can always tell the guys you got asthma or something. Just swallow your pride.

Had one, lost it in the last move.
It didn’t seem to really do much for me, granted it was a relatively short period of time before I lost interest.

they’re only like $20 if I remember correctly, so it’s worth a shot…

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

And wear the damn mask. You can always tell the guys you got asthma or something. Just swallow your pride.[/quote]

Well put but it has nothing to do with pride,Im the shop manager and im talking and getting peoples attention all day so it is inconvenient.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

And wear the damn mask. You can always tell the guys you got asthma or something. Just swallow your pride.[/quote]

Well put but it has nothing to do with pride,Im the shop manager and im talking and getting peoples attention all day so it is inconvenient.