Exit Strategy

Assuming you decide to use wrestling or BJJ, what do you do once you have the guy on the ground in a lock? If he doesn’t knock the guy out would striking have a different outcome? Random fight on a street what is your exit strategy?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Assuming you decide to use wrestling or BJJ, what do you do once you have the guy on the ground in a lock? If he doesn’t knock the guy out would striking have a different outcome? Random fight on a street what is your exit strategy?
[/quote]

Well, the first and most important thing is to never be anywhere that WorldStarHipHop would like to host. If you think you are, un ass the area. Immediately. You are standing at a point where all three “rules of stupid” are going to get violated.

The guy in the black shirt who said “I’m leaving” and did, he is the only one who handled this ok.

As for “exit strategy”, I think you are asking about breaks in violence/could be violence and how to handle them. Am I correct? I would suggest some form of “hard break” as I wrote about in this thread:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/gunshot_wounding_lecture

That discussion was gun centric, but if you substitute “fight” for “shoot”, “prepare” for “reload”, “drop hands” for “holster”, etc. I think it fits.

I know some professional combat shooting schools have formal versions of the above, with useful acronyms and attached intellectual property rights. I cannot remember who gets, what credit. If I can find a video or right up of the “post fight procedure” I will post it.

NOW, IN THE INTEREST OF COMEDY:

Gotta give the guy credit for finishing his takedown with a dick in his ear. It’s one thing to turn the corner when a guy is only clawing at your eyes and throat, but I have done it. I am guessing feeling scrotum on your eye lid could be distracting.

Dude in the brown is clearly a master. He “strip searched” his opponent for weapons while the fight was still going on. Even an underwear gun wouldn’t have got past him.(Archer ref)

NOTE: Actually, he failed hard. The other guys hand going for his waste band needed to be treated as an attempt at weapon access until proven otherwise. He also spent way too much time straddling one of his opponent’s arms/hands. That could have gotten ugly.

Regards,

Robert A

Airtruth,

Here is a video where the late Paul Gomez discusses the above and both explains it, and the history far better than I did.

Well worth the five minutes for watching.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
[/quote]

Well, the first and most important thing is to never be anywhere that WorldStarHipHop would like to host. If you think you are, un ass the area. Immediately. You are standing at a point where all three “rules of stupid” are going to get violated.

The guy in the black shirt who said “I’m leaving” and did, he is the only one who handled this ok.

As for “exit strategy”, I think you are asking about breaks in violence/could be violence and how to handle them. Am I correct?
[/quote]

Pretty much, or the point where the kid clearly has him pinned and an advantage, at least to the point where he would not have to worry about his opponent attacking him. At that point, if he wanted he can wait for a cop. But if he just wanted to go home and lets go the guy can clearly attack again. Even if the guy says “ok ok, I quit”

With a gun there’s still the threat of getting shot from a distance which would keep the guy from attacking. Even if the fat guy doesn’t pick up something there’s nothing to stop the guy from bum rushing him. While he handled him pretty well the first time, there was still room in his fighting skills to lose the next round. (specially if the other person decides not to pick up his shorts)

In competition I understand a break, but in a real situation like this do you really want to give up such a clear advantage?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
In competition I understand a break, but in a real situation like this do you really want to give up such a clear advantage?[/quote]

One might also hold that being completely tied up with only one guy, unable to be mobile, or even to adequately look around might make the “clear” advantage a bit fuzzy.

The video was basically When Assholes Collide: drunk edition. As for tactics that we might adopt:

1.) The general advice on this board is to de-escalate/leave if you can. That would have solved the hell out of the scenario in the video. Every other schmuck in the McDonald’s managed to not get into a fight/cuddle match just by not jumping into the Rabbit Hole of Stupid that Paddy Pants Down was digging.

2.) If the situation requires us to go hands on with a stranger in a non-professional capacity than it is bad enough that we should be willing to be at least as casual with the stranger’s health as they are being with ours.

Yes LEO’s, security, hospital staff, etc. can be called on to physically restrain and handle individuals while not injuring them. They are using force in a professional capacity. For the rest of us that is not often the case. You or I might chance it if we are wrestling with a drunk relative, or are trying to keep a friend from playing a stupid game and winning a stupid prize, but a stranger? Fuck that. There is simply no need to get nipple to nipple with someone you are not willing to hurt.

In fact if the situation is not dire enough to be willing to hurt someone, than WE could well be breaking the law by putting hands on someone and restraining them.

3.) Assuming that we are morally and/or legally justified in causing some hurt/injury than we use that to help our “exit strategy”. This could be as extreme as taking a joint lock home and doing serious orthopedic damage(giving the other guy every reason to stop, or at least putting him in a diminished capacity if he wants to fight on) or even driving a knife instead of our knuckles into him, or as minor as simply landing a few sharp blows and making him think better of continuing. Even the threat of force can be enough to buy us some time/distance and allow us to problem solve with mobility.

In the video none of this was done. Of course the video was essentially “mutual combat” and not a “self defense” issue. OUR plan “A” should probably start with not being as stupid as the two guys in the video, and then build on that.

Regards,

Robert A