Exertion Headaches

I’ve been getting these terrible headaches lately everytime I exert myself. First one was last friday 3 sets into my workout during a bench press…next one was last Sunday during lunges. I finished both routines but they seem to be getting worse, anything that gets my heart rate up sets this off. They’ve gotten terrible enough that I’m not sure I can do my workout tonight although I’ll try.

My diet’s been straight massive eating and the only new thing to my diet is Biotest M and creatine (I’d used creatine a year ago with no problems whatsoever). I’ve cut them both out as of Monday…

Anyone ever experience this?

Did you increase your water intake when you started the supplements? Creatine in particular increases your body’s water requirements by quite a bit.

Yep, I carry around a 32oz bottle that I fill up around 5-6 times a day.

Maybe you sprained a muscle in the neck area. When I get headaches (I get migraines sometimes) it almost always seems to be preceeded by stiff neck muscles (caused internally). One time I aggravated a neck muscle, and for about two weeks it felt like I was going to get a migraine, just because that muscle gave me a stiff neck.

Bump.

I’ve on occasion, experienced the same thing. The last time was after an insane leg workout, I had a headache for a few days that would return whenever I would lift even with a moderate intensity.

I always suspected that it was a mild aneurism, but dwelling on that notion always freaked me out.

Any MDs, DOs, RNs, Ph. Ds out there w/ opinions?

1. Do you take pre-workout stimulants: Ephedrine, Pseudoephedrine, Caffeine. Do you use tobacco?

2. Do you have enlarged lymph nodes?

3. Try stretching the neck muscles before working out.

4. I sometimes got these from heavy deadlifts, Goodmornings and sometimes other exercises where the core was under pressure. If I felt them coming on, if I went and took 2 advil and waited 15 minutes it always prevented it. It might have been a placebo, I don’t know.

I got these a couple months ago doing heavy squats. Then every day after that when I would lift I would get them. I just had to take a week off and they went away. Also if someone hasn’t already mentioned it. Check your blood pressure.

Thought I’d update incase anyone’s interested:

1. Went to the Doctor who did a blood/piss test (this had me worried that I’d fail the kidney test cause I’m on creatine)

2. Got lectured to by friends and family about the “dangers of a high protein diet”

3. Passed all the tests the Doctor gave me with no problems.

He thinks it’s a Sinus infection and that it’s simply creating intra-cranial pressure which give me headaches when I lift cause of even more increased pressure.

He put me on anti-biotics and told me if I don’t feel better in a week I’d need an MRI.

He also advised me to “take it easy in the gym”.

I’m not too sure how “easy” I’m going to take it though…

I hope it goes away within a week then. Just the thought of needing an MRI on my head would freak me out.

[quote]Watson2K5 wrote:
Thought I’d update incase anyone’s interested:

1. Went to the Doctor who did a blood/piss test (this had me worried that I’d fail the kidney test cause I’m on creatine)

2. Got lectured to by friends and family about the “dangers of a high protein diet”

3. Passed all the tests the Doctor gave me with no problems.

He thinks it’s a Sinus infection and that it’s simply creating intra-cranial pressure which give me headaches when I lift cause of even more increased pressure.

He put me on anti-biotics and told me if I don’t feel better in a week I’d need an MRI.

He also advised me to “take it easy in the gym”.

I’m not too sure how “easy” I’m going to take it though…[/quote]

Again, if your using ANY stimulants it can mimic the symptoms of a sinus infection.

yeah i got these really bad one time, and basically had to stop doing any exercises for a month. the pain was throbbing in my temple and in the left side of my head all the way down to behind my ear at the base of my skull.

i laid off for a while after unsuccessfully trying to work around it.

very very scary, i went in for an MRI and everything, but nothing came up. it just went away on its own.

i guess what i’m trying to say is don’t try to work around it and stop lifting for a while. this was very frustrating to me, but it was well worth it, as pain that can put you to your knees in your head cannot be a good thing.