Exercises You Don't Do

Leg extension- useless IMO in fact,any machine- FW all the way.

Other than that. I open for everything. I tried all the new exercises. There are those hat I prefer however.

I’ve quit doing any leg oriented exercises for a while. My two torn discs are starting to bother me. A lot.

For some reason…I just can’t “feel” dumbbell rows!

(Barbell…yes…dumbbell…no…)

I almost wonder if it’s a mental block…

Mufasa

How about a few I need to start doing.

Two arm anyhow lifts. They look way too fun.

One arm snatches. I was up to 115, but I haven’t done them in about 4 months. Bodyweight would be sweet. I would probably film that one for you guys.

Barbell Turkish getups and Windmills. Super thick midsections are cool.

More med ball, strongman, and sled work. Its about time to shed my winter reserve.

Joe

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I thought dumbell rows were a bicep exercise=)

[quote]Joebob wrote:

One arm snatches. I was up to 115, but I haven’t done them in about 4 months. Bodyweight would be sweet. I would probably film that one for you guys.

[/quote]

Shit dude, that’s impressive. I best about 55lbs. Granted I’ve been doing them for only about 3 weeks(BB snatches and cleans for that matter too). I too would like to be able to do body weight, the thought of grabbing a grown man by the throat and lifting him above my head with one arm is appealing to say the least! But right now I couldn’t do that with both hands as I can only BB powerclean about 135lbs. I know! I’m working on it!

Regular deadlifts or anytype of olympic lifts due to the fact that my gym does not allow them. Allowed to do rack pulls or deads on hammer strength machine.

[quote]conorh wrote:
I pretty much don’t do any direct arm work. I also don’t do lateral raises, and I don’t really like bench presses but I do them, just for balance. Really I think there’s more exercises I don’t do than I do!

So, here’s a list of what I DO, in no particular order:

Squats, back, front, overhead, zercher and hack

deads, romanian and regular, regular overhand grip and snatch grip

rows, barbell, dumbell, upright and seated cable

military presses, push presses, power jerks, behind the head presses with barbell

chinups of all kinds

dips

good mornings, regular and zercher

various horizontal type presses, always relatively close grip, elbows tucked

snatches, expecially power snatches and one arm barbell snatches

cleans

russian twists, saxon bends, side deads

and my favorite, rope pulls, tire flips and rock carries

Thats pretty much everything I do, if you ask me there’s enough possiblities there for a lifetime of workouts, minus things like concentration curls, kickbacks, etc.[/quote]

I found this little post and wanted to bump it up. Conorh, this is one of the best lists of exercises I have seen. This list screams raw strength. Very motivational.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Decline Bench
Lunges

Just don’t like 'em
Won’t do 'em
[/quote]

alternating barbell lunges are amazing. took me 6 years to discover how great they are.

[quote]conorh wrote:
I pretty much don’t do any direct arm work. I also don’t do lateral raises, and I don’t really like bench presses but I do them, just for balance. Really I think there’s more exercises I don’t do than I do!

military presses, push presses, power jerks, behind the head presses with barbell

chinups of all kinds

dips

cleans

Thats pretty much everything I do, if you ask me there’s enough possiblities there for a lifetime of workouts, minus things like concentration curls, kickbacks, etc.[/quote]

this is a good list, but 99% of people need isolation work for the complete physique. you’re likely missing out on a lot of cosmetic benefit without direct work for biceps and calves, at least. and i’d bet you’re not getting the greatest ab development, either.

[quote]Brian Whiddon wrote:
conorh wrote:

chinups of all kinds

dips

cleans

Thats pretty much everything I do, if you ask me there’s enough possiblities there for a lifetime of workouts, minus things like concentration curls, kickbacks, etc.

I found this little post and wanted to bump it up. Conorh, this is one of the best lists of exercises I have seen. This list screams raw strength. Very motivational.

[/quote]

Thanks, I’m flattered, in a straight kinda way. The only thing I’d add a year later is a small amount of direct arm work and gut work. I like curl and press with dumbells and any kind of wrist extension, reverse curls, extensions at arms length, etc. I’ve been doing alot of planks, front and side too.

Edit: Oh, and I should have mentioned lunges. Definitely a worthwhile addition.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:

this is a good list, but 99% of people need isolation work for the complete physique. you’re likely missing out on a lot of cosmetic benefit without direct work for biceps and calves, at least. and i’d bet you’re not getting the greatest ab development, either.[/quote]

Yeah, I probably agree, hence my “new” list would add some direct arm work. Although, if you had access to a rope for either climbing or pulling, that would make a great finisher and be superior to direct bicep work. I still hold to direct calf work being worthless. I don’t know what doing some reps of calf raise will do for you that a heavy walk out for a squat won’t.

I have, in the last couple months, added a ton more “core” work, for lack of a better word. This was for performance reasons, as I think if I wanted abs I could just stop eating so damn much and be there in due time.

calves need direct work if you’re not doing plyometrics or sprints. standard compound resistance movements don’t build big calves in those people who aren’t genetically gifted for calves and/or are not ex-fatties.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa

I thought dumbell rows were a bicep exercise=)[/quote]

They do work the bicep,however,they’re still a back exercise.They work the bicep indirectly.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Joebob wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa

I thought dumbell rows were a bicep exercise=)

They do work the bicep,however,they’re still a back exercise.They work the bicep indirectly.
[/quote]

they are a biceps exercise, that does not mean they are not a back exercise also, vice versa.

I swore an oath to God That I would never do squat rack curls, and I am proud to say I have kept my word. I also dislike lunges and tricept push downs, as the latter exercise causes intense pain in the elbow joint.

Can’t : Deadlift or Squat
Reason: severe L-5 S-1 disc problems
(Maybe one day! Hope springs eternal)

Won’t:
Anything behind the neck (presses, chins, pull-ups etc.)
Upright Row
Reason: they hurt my shoulders.

Dax

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
calves need direct work if you’re not doing plyometrics or sprints. standard compound resistance movements don’t build big calves in those people who aren’t genetically gifted for calves and/or are not ex-fatties. [/quote]

That brings up an interesting point! Being a FFB and losing 120lbs, my calves are massive in comparison to the rest of my physique. Granted, I sure would trade some huge calves for thick and meaty pecks. HA

Josh

[quote]EnTransit wrote:
hueyOT wrote:
calves need direct work if you’re not doing plyometrics or sprints. standard compound resistance movements don’t build big calves in those people who aren’t genetically gifted for calves and/or are not ex-fatties.

That brings up an interesting point! Being a FFB and losing 120lbs, my calves are massive in comparison to the rest of my physique. Granted, I sure would trade some huge calves for thick and meaty pecks. HA

Josh
[/quote]

funny anecdote: i know a FFB who had HUGE calves when he was fat, but he somehow managed to lose them when he got skinny <went from like 5’8 210 ish pound SOFT to 160-ish pounds average>.

I don’t do my abs (directly)

Shoulders- just MP, nothing else

Don’t do direct trap work. eg. shrugs or upright rows.

Don’t do leg ext. or leg curls.
Squat, press and DL only.

Don’t do any forearm or direct grip work.